FaceBook to be Fined $5bn USD

Facebook 'to be fined $5bn over Cambridge Analytica scandal'

Source: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48972327

US regulators have approved a record $5bn (£4bn) fine on Facebook to settle an investigation into data privacy violations, reports in US media say. 

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has been investigating allegations that political consultancy Cambridge Analytica improperly obtained the data of up to 87 million Facebook users.

The settlement was approved by the FTC in a 3-2 vote, sources told US media.

Facebook and the FTC told the BBC they had no comment on the reports.

Pretty fair enough. About time someone took a tough stance to FaceBook. 

The consumer protection agency the FTC began investigating Facebook in March 2018 following reports that Cambridge Analytica had accessed the data of tens of millions of its users. 

The investigation focused on whether Facebook had violated a 2011 agreement under which it was required to clearly notify users and gain "express consent" to share their data.

The $5bn fine was approved by the FTC in a 3-2 vote which broke along party lines, with Republican commissioners in favour and Democrats opposed.

Don't want to make this political, so I won't. The Democrats wanted tougher action, so voted against - however seeing as this is the biggest tech fine ever imposed, its breaking ground into new territory all the same. 

"With the FTC either unable or unwilling to put in place reasonable guardrails to ensure that user privacy and data are protected, it's time for Congress to act," US Senator Mark Warner said.

The fine still needs to be finalised by the Justice Department's civil division, and it is unclear how long this may take, the sources said. 

If confirmed, it would be the largest fine ever levied by the FTC on a tech company.

However, the amount falls in line with estimates by Facebook, which earlier this year said it was expecting a fine of up to $5bn. 

Investors responded positively to the news, pushing Facebook shares up 1.8%.

Not sure how meeting an expected target for a fine would make people buy more shares. 

Facebook had been expecting this. It told investors back in April that it had put aside most of the money, which means the firm won't feel much added financial strain from this penalty. 

What we don't yet know is what additional measures may be placed on the company, such as increased privacy oversight, or if there will be any personal repercussions for the company's chief executive, Mark Zuckerberg.

The settlement, which amounts to around one quarter of the company's yearly profit, will reignite criticism from those who say this amounts to little more than a slap on the wrist.

$5bn not quite a slap on the wrist. Would be interesting to see the repercussions. Hopefully it's not just a 'slap on the wrist', and we will see increased privacy. Have to say its sad that FaceBook seems to be making so much off a free service that they can pay off a $5bn fine easily.

i doubt FB are going to give much of a shit, probably just going to keep going like nothing happened.

would have loved to see further action and even tougher fines

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Government: Lets fine them money and keep it!

Me: Why aren't my taxes going down by even a small margin?

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

For large tech firms such as Facebook, in DBZ terms (since there seems to be some recent resurgence in references), it's a bit like Krillin punching a fully powered Frieza. IE, this fine barely classifies as a poke, let alone a wrist slap.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Personally I think fines for such breaches should be measured in years of profit, not months...

Has any other countries levied fines for this against Facebook? 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Personally I think fines for such breaches should be measured in years of profit, not months...

Has any other countries levied fines for this against Facebook

FB and google are getting constantly fined, pretty sure germany fined them couple of times in the past.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Facebook has a revenue of ~$50bn and an annual turnover of ~$15bn. This is chump change.

Also because the markets expected a more severe punishment this news sent Facebook stock value soaring and added $10bn to the companies net worth.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Huh, so that's what democracy is worth. You know those dudes that died at the Normandy beaches? Turns out their sacrifice does have an itemised price

"With the FTC either unable or unwilling to put in place reasonable guardrails to ensure that user privacy and data are protected, it's time for Congress to act," US Senator Mark Warner said.

Congratulations dumbass, you've figured it out. Congress should not be delegating all its powers to the executive branch, especially since it bitches and whines whenever the executive branch does something it doesn't like with the powers granted to it by Congress.

Good, not nearly enough though. FB must be broken up.

2 minutes ago, Dogeystyle said:

Huh, so that's what democracy is worth. You know those dudes that died at the Normandy beaches? Turns out their sacrifice does have an itemised price

What are you on? I want some

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

This is not really a fine, but as the first sentence says, it's a settlement. Fb is gonna pay the amount and continue to sell your data as usual.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

2 hours ago, Tristerin said:

Because compared to America's GDP (19tril), 5bn is peanuts (1/3800 to be exact)? It's what the US army spends on a weekend

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

Can we tax them in a way that makes my taxes go down? Will the 5B go to infrastructure like Flint, voting machine security, or protecting freedom of speech and privacy on the internet? 

No. No, it won't. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

7 hours ago, floofer said:

US regulators

wow, AMERICANS regulators? These types of huge fines are normally handed down by european courts.

7 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

this fine barely classifies as a poke, let alone a wrist slap.

?????
Its literally 20% of their yearly profits

36 minutes ago, poochyena said:

Its literally 20% of their yearly profits

companies of this size, have legal budgets set aside for stuff like this.  They have a stack of cash in an offshore account just waiting for them to get sued.  money will come from that. and realistically after everything, they will only have to pay a portion of that 5 billion. tax rebates and kickbacks will cover the rest.

This is barely a slap on the wrist, and just lets them know they can get away with more.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

3 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

They have a stack of cash in an offshore account just waiting for them to get sued.

It's funny seeing completely speculative comments like this. You have no idea how Facebook operates (and neither do I), so stop pretending based on tropes.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

9 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I'd like to see fines amount to more than a years profit, maybe 5 years for this. Fines don't work if they don't inflict enough pain.

I find it insulting that if a company breaks the law and directly intrudes on the privacy and lives of others they get a fine that amounts to fractions of profit.  But if I build a shed in my own backyard that effects literally no one, I can get fined more than a years income (not just money after living expenses but whole income required for mortgages and food).

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

35 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

companies of this size, have legal budgets set aside for stuff like this.  They have a stack of cash in an offshore account just waiting for them to get sued.  money will come from that. and realistically after everything, they will only have to pay a portion of that 5 billion. tax rebates and kickbacks will cover the rest.

This is barely a slap on the wrist, and just lets them know they can get away with more.

you are literally just making stuff up.

26 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I'd like to see fines amount to more than a years profit, maybe 5 years for this.

That would bankrupt the company, sending the stock market crashing, ruining the lives of tens of thousands of people.

12 minutes ago, mr moose said:

But if I build a shed in my own backyard that effects literally no one, I can get fined more than a years income

unless you are so poor you are living in that shed, then no, that doesn't happen.
Stop making stuff up.

8 hours ago, Tristerin said:

there are 130~ million working Americans, if you took that 5 billion and gave it to all them as a tax break that would be $38 back for 2019's tax returns. 

A average american pays $14,000 in taxes, so that means it is a 0.2% savings on taxes this year.

Its just a drop in the bucket.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

4 minutes ago, poochyena said:

That would bankrupt the company, sending the stock market crashing, ruining the lives of tens of thousands of people.

unless you are so poor you are living in that shed, then no, that doesn't happen.
Stop making stuff up.

Stop calling people liars when you don't know jack shit about them or their experiences. Maximum fine applicable for building without a permit here is $80K+, the average household income is $50-60K.

You might also want to call me a liar for this, but it's also true, you can have a criminal conviction recorded against you for that building too,  I don't think anyone at face book is likely to have that.

Penalties for conducting work without a building permit under the Building Act 1993 can exceed $80,000 and also include the possibility of a criminal conviction.

https://www.mornpen.vic.gov.au/Building-Planning/Building/Building-Permits

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

8 hours ago, Tristerin said:

Probably because government is ALWAYS only concerned with things that benefit government.

Absolute power, corrupts absolutely.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

24 minutes ago, poochyena said:

The stock market affects most Americans. Facebook's stock tanking would only affect heavy investors. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

55 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Maximum fine applicable for building without a permit here is $80K+, the average household income is $50-60K. 

has that maximum fine ever been given to someone with an average income for building a shed? Maximum fines are very very very very very very rarely given out. Its not a basis for how much people are actually fined.

44 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Facebook's stock tanking would only affect heavy investors. 

It would affect every single person who owns fb shares, not just the heavy investors.