New TV help please, I last bought a TV about 9 years ago!

Skeeter

I'm after a new TV for the living room and I'm so out of touch I don't know where to start.

My criteria is:

• Movies, TV and console gaming
  • Absolutely has to be a matte screen, no glossy reflection nastyness
  • Speakers are unimportant as it will use a separate sound system
  • 4k, under 50" and under £1,000

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks

• Movies, TV and console gaming.......samsung and lg both are really good with gaming
  • Absolutely has to be a matte screen, no glossy reflection nastyness.....
  • 4k, under 50" and under £1,000......with this price range and size you have a lot of options here

samsung min a 8000 series (i have a 7000 and wish i researched more hdr wise)
lg ... i cant say, ive never owned one but others have praised them

17 hours ago, circeseye said:
  • Movies, TV and console gaming.......samsung and lg both are really good with gaming
  • Absolutely has to be a matte screen, no glossy reflection nastyness.....
  • 4k, under 50" and under £1,000......with this price range and size you have a lot of options here

samsung min a 8000 series (i have a 7000 and wish i researched more hdr wise)
lg ... i cant say, ive never owned one but others have praised them

Do you know of either have glossy screens? It's almost impossible to tell from online listings and photos.

3 hours ago, Skeeter said:

Do you know of either have glossy screens? It's almost impossible to tell from online listings and photos.

you could always go into a store like bestbuy and look at them...i believe (not positive) the screens now are kind of in between a gloss and matte...when i went in to look before reflection was a thing i looked at and majority of them were pretty much similar between a lg and samsung. or even look up reviews on them...a lot also do reflective

Samsung 8000 is a VA panel, the LG 8000 and 9000 are both in your budget I believe. Is 50 your max size or 55? If you're stuck on 50, LG 49" 8600. IPS panel (non glossy), or Samsung has Q70's 49" right now at 999, and 60's at like 700. 

In the BENELUX their are promo's atm.
An LG C8 55Inch tv, for €1000.

So yeah .. thats a pretty good tv.

14 hours ago, TheFlyingTraut said:

Samsung 8000 is a VA panel, the LG 8000 and 9000 are both in your budget I believe. Is 50 your max size or 55? If you're stuck on 50, LG 49" 8600. IPS panel (non glossy), or Samsung has Q70's 49" right now at 999, and 60's at like 700. 

50 is my max unfortunately, and that's a squeeze. 55" would get me into the bottom of OLED, but that would fail the budget criteria.

Having looked around I've narrowed it down to the 2 from each of LG, Sony and Samsung, one with full array dimming and one with edge LED dimming. The FALD ones would require a sale to get under the budget but I'm in no rush.

LG SM90 (FALD) £1,099
LG SM86/SM85 (Edge) £849

Samsung Q70R (FALD) £1,399
Samsung Q60R/Q67R (Edge) £899

Sony XG90 (FALD) £1,199
Sony XG83 (Edge) £849

The Samsung seems the weakest like you say they are VA. I've no idea about the Sonys, only just started looking at them.

I'm thinking of heading for the FALDs because if I drop to the Edge LED ones then there's one or two models lower down from each of the brand's that don't lose many features, so I may as well drop to them (they are all about £700+) and save a bit.

Don't do the Sony 83, the LG 8 series are just okay, if you're doing LG I really only like their OLED but would settle for a 9 series. Sony 90 or the Samsung Q's are solid. Sony will give you a better motion processing and more natural colors, the LG won't get as bright as it's an IPS panel, and the Q...well... it's a q, so a pile of overprocessed HDR colors but not a bad tv for what you're looking for. Also at 55" the panels are forgiving at that size with any motion issues or color.

On 7/15/2019 at 11:51 PM, TheFlyingTraut said:

Don't do the Sony 83, the LG 8 series are just okay, if you're doing LG I really only like their OLED but would settle for a 9 series. Sony 90 or the Samsung Q's are solid. Sony will give you a better motion processing and more natural colors, the LG won't get as bright as it's an IPS panel, and the Q...well... it's a q, so a pile of overprocessed HDR colors but not a bad tv for what you're looking for. Also at 55" the panels are forgiving at that size with any motion issues or color.

Cheers. I'm steering away from the LGs and really only looking at the XG90 now. The Samsung Q70R is advertised as a 120Hz panel, but they sneak in that the 49" is actually 60Hz. A shame as it has FreeSync. 

I wish I could hang on for some 49" OLEDs but I've already committed to giving away my current TV, plus I'm not convinced the smaller OLEDs are going to be cheap until they are produced in higher volumes.

On 7/15/2019 at 2:11 AM, TheFlyingTraut said:

I actually prefer VA over IPS on TVs because of the much better contrast ratio. Blacks appear to be grey on most IPS TVs when the lights are down.

21 hours ago, TheFlyingTraut said:

You won't notice the motion on the 49".

Having done some more digging it looks like the 49" XG90 is actually a rebrand of the prior years XF90, rather than a small XG95. Not a bad thing in isolation as the XF90 is hardly a bad TV, but it was a £900 unit and the XG90 is £1,200, which stings.

Anyone got a sledgehammer? I need to knock down a chimney so I can get s 55"+!