Installing new CPU (with a different brand), what do I need to know?

As soon as I can grab myself the 3900x, I'm going to switch it out for my old i5-4690k, as well as my mobo and ram. What do I need to know/do before/during/after I install it? Sorry if I respond late and thank you in advance if I personally forget t do so!

When you boot ryzen for the first time. It may take up to 2 Minutes to post dont be worried, Get fast ram it helps with the infinity fabric and grab a X570 mobo with a good vrm and make sure you have sufficent cooling 

CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K | Ram: 16GB Corsair LPX 3000 DDR4 | Asus Maximus XI Hero Z390 | GPU: EVGA RTX2080 XC | 960 EVO Samsung 500GB M.2 | 850 EVO Samsung 250GB M.2 | Samsung 1TB QVO SSD | 1TB HDD WD Blue 

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 2 in 1 9370 | I7 1065G7 | 32GB DDR4 | 1TB SSD |

You may need a bios update on the motherboard you buy

You should reinstall windows after getting a new motherboard

Turn on XMP or whatever its called on the motherboard you get so your ram runs at the marketed speeds

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

1 minute ago, WebPlayz said:

When you boot ryzen for the first time. It may take up to 2 Minutes to post dont be worried, Get fast ram it helps with the infinity fabric and grab a X570 mobo with a good vrm and make sure you have sufficent cooling 

I'm getting this combo (when it comes back in stock) and this RAM if you have any thoughts on that.

Just now, Sam Joseph said:

I'm getting this combo (when it comes back in stock) and this RAM if you have any thoughts on that.

Perfect! You should be set 

CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K | Ram: 16GB Corsair LPX 3000 DDR4 | Asus Maximus XI Hero Z390 | GPU: EVGA RTX2080 XC | 960 EVO Samsung 500GB M.2 | 850 EVO Samsung 250GB M.2 | Samsung 1TB QVO SSD | 1TB HDD WD Blue 

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 2 in 1 9370 | I7 1065G7 | 32GB DDR4 | 1TB SSD |

Just now, WebPlayz said:

Perfect! You should be set 

Got it, thanks for the help!

First you need is to link your account to Microsoft Account before you build new computer. Then you may boot your current system and it will activate (if not - use activation troubleshooter). No reinstall required unless you really want it.

4 minutes ago, Slottr said:

You may need a bios update on the motherboard you buy

You should reinstall windows after getting a new motherboard

Turn on XMP or whatever its called on the motherboard you get so your ram runs at the marketed speeds

Anything I should do before I install the new stuff, or is this really it?

1 minute ago, Sam Joseph said:

Anything I should do before I install the new stuff, or is this really it?

Back up important stuff if you need?

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

Back up important stuff if you need?

Fair enough, thanks for the advice!

2 things to avoid last 2 days of troubleshooting so far:

1. make sure the ram is compatible with Ryzen / mobo (memory supported list is your friend, just not your wallet).

2. Make a fresh Windows 10 USB boot even if the version you get comes with a DVD or other media, you want the latest windows 10 drivers for initial install of a 3900x.

22 hours ago, coffeejn said:

2 things to avoid last 2 days of troubleshooting so far:

1. make sure the ram is compatible with Ryzen / mobo (memory supported list is your friend, just not your wallet).

2. Make a fresh Windows 10 USB boot even if the version you get comes with a DVD or other media, you want the latest windows 10 drivers for initial install of a 3900x.

1. Is this RAM compatible with the new Mobo/Ryzen?

2. How big is Windows 10? How would I go about making a USB boot for it?

On 7/13/2019 at 10:59 PM, WebPlayz said:

Not to mention you can overclock the infinity fabric itself now.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk | Corsair LPX 16GB 3000MHz CL16 | XFX RX 6700 XT QICK 319 | Corsair TX 550M 80+ Gold PSU