Power up switch with my pc psu?

Hi !

Someone knows if i can connect a tp-link switch directly to my psu?

I took some pictures so they can see the voltages from my switch and pc psu.

TP-Link PSU output: 5V 0.6A

Thanks 

WhatsApp Image 2019-07-13 at 13.33.50.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-07-13 at 13.33.50 (1).jpeg

Screenshot_2.png

It would not work because your switch needs 100-240V AC input, whereas your PSU outputs 12V, 5V, or 3.3V DC. At any rate, why would you want to do that?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

5 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Technically? Yes.

Should you? No.

And finally, why would you want to?

1. Thanks
2. Why?
3. My router lan ports are full and I do not have more 220v outlets nearby for my switch and I do not want to spend money on that.
Plus, fewer objects on my desk or nearby.

It will work, your switch needs 5V DC with a rated current of 0.6 A, which is no problem for your PSU. If you want to go ahead with this project and have some DIY experience, I would recommend using a 4 pin molex adapter (it has 12V as well as 5V, so measure which is which before connecting anything) so you can detach it any time you like and don't damage your PSU's cables.

3 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

It would not work because your switch needs 100-240V AC input, whereas your PSU outputs 12V, 5V, or 3.3V DC. At any rate, why would you want to do that?

Oh i won't be using my 220v adapter, i will use the 5V line directly from the PSU.

Switch directly to PC PSU 5V and Ground cables

=====================================
See image = 5V 0.6A output

WhatsApp Image 2019-07-13 at 13.33.50 (1).jpeg

2 minutes ago, greenhorn said:

It will work, your switch needs 5V DC with a rated current of 0.6 A, which is no problem for your PSU. If you want to go ahead with this project and have some DIY experience, I would recommend using a 4 pin molex adapter (it has 12V as well as 5V, so measure which is which before connecting anything) so you can detach it any time you like and don't damage your PSU's cables.

Great, first I wanted to ask why I did not want to ruin anything.
I have some molex cables from graphics cards adapters, i will use that.
Thanks so much ^^

4 minutes ago, Pinguineter said:

3. My router lan ports are full and I do not have more 220v outlets nearby for my switch and I do not want to spend money on that. Plus, fewer objects on my desk or nearby.

Use a power strip.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

4 minutes ago, Pinguineter said:

1. Thanks
2. Why?
3. My router lan ports are full and I do not have more 220v outlets nearby for my switch and I do not want to spend money on that.
Plus, fewer objects on my desk or nearby.

1. Yep.

2. Potential fire hazard if done incorrectly. Not to mention every time you turn off your computer it'll lose power too.

3. That's why power strips exist. Cluttered areas can be cleaned.

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

Use a power strip.

I would but is too expensive, i live in Argentina, inflation here is a problem and sellers take advantage of it. 
Ultra cheap china power strip with bad plastics and cables cost $800 ARS and it should be $200.

16 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

what? :| no it's 5V input

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

In the end, it all depends on your skills and whether part of the reason for that DIY idea is also learning something/having fun. You have to be careful to do it correctly (polarity, no short circuits, proper insulation, etc.) and also remember that any failure of that switch will probably not be covered by warranty. Like any DIY stuff, what you do you is at your own risk.

Personally, I would buy a power bar with more sockets and spend some time for desk cable management to make everything look good, even though I have the skills for the rewiring project.

26 minutes ago, Pinguineter said:

Someone knows if i can connect a tp-link switch directly to my psu? 

You could instead power it via USB 3.0, but i'm unsure if it needs to recognize a device using the Data+- wires to deliver 600mA or up to 900mA

2 minutes ago, greenhorn said:

In the end, it all depends on your skills and whether part of the reason for that DIY idea is also learning something/having fun. You have to be careful to do it correctly (polarity, no short circuits, proper insulation, etc.) and also remember that any failure of that switch will probably not be covered by warranty. Like any DIY stuff, what you do you is at your own risk.

Personally, I would buy a power bar with more sockets and spend some time for desk cable management to make everything look good, even though I have the skills for the rewiring project.

Im having fun actually HAHA, i did some soldering in the past, i know a bit. Thank you for warning me of the guarantee, also the period has already passed. And power strips are expensive here, ( I have money to buy it, but I do not think it's necessary.)

8 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

You could instead power it via USB 3.0, but i'm unsure if it needs to recognize a device using the Data+- wires to deliver 600mA or up to 900mA

That's a good idea too, but im using my 4- 3.0 ports for drives and stuff and i only have 1- 2.0 port inside, would not give enough power, right?

Screenshot_4.png

12 minutes ago, Pinguineter said:

i only have 1- 2.0 port inside, would not give enough power, right?

USB 2.0 is rated at 500mA maximum, I wouldn't risk frying that port since the switch is a 24/7 device

You also can get a small USB charger and use that to power the switch, really don't recommend using the PSU to do that unless you actually do it properly and not duct tape it

for example
https://www.amazon.com/Chanzon-Female-Connector-Security-Adapter/dp/B079RCNNCK

Something like this to wire the 5V wires onto, and then find a hole in the case where the connector would peak outside slightly and then glue it in place (or a tight fit)

https://www.amazon.com/Valley-Enterprises®-2-1mm-5-5mm-Adapter/dp/B00DX72UXW

and use that to connect it to the switch

2 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

what? :| no it's 5V input

I got confused because of the input stuff :/ now I see what's going on

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb