Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What kind of old hardware servers do you have?

So this one isn't for me but for a client, I upgraded his old workstation to a new Ryzen Threadripper Rig. So we are turning his old system into a backup server, to start with it had an i7-980, but I have a 980X laying around so we will be upgrading it to that. It will have 32GB DDR3 RAM, and to start with 3 12TB Storage Drives with a 1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD for the boot drive. He already has a 12TB external enclosure we will also be attaching to the server to access old archives. One of the drives will be used for a NAS, the second will be used to backup all of his machines, and the 3rd will backup a 10tb storage drive on his workstation.

I'll throw all of his machines on a Virtual Network so he can access his network wherever he goes.

What all severs do you have running on old hardware?

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

So far I have a Dell Precision T3500 with a Xeon W3520, 12GB of ram and just a couple old hard drives.  I currently don't need much storage space on it but will put in a couple bigger drives at some point.  The CPU will be replaced with a x5680 once I have time to swap it (it arrived a couple days ago).

Right now it has ESXI and it's running a single Ubuntu Server vm for a Minecraft Bedrock server for my kids.  Still deciding on what game server to do next, maybe classic Doom...

I also have a fx 8350 rig that I manual duel boot between Windows 10 and Unraid.  I mostly use Unraid on it to spin up Linux VMs with full gpu passthrough.

I have a Powermac G5 coupled with an XServe RAID. The G5 has a couple fibre channel cards for connection to the XServe and is running OSX 10.5 Server. The XServe has 14 x 500gb PATA drives. For 7 TB's of pre-raid storage it was really cheap when I got it. 

Essentially its some old tech I picked up several years ago to play around with. I do not run it regularly as with redundant PSU's, Fans, etc, its very noisy and very power hungry. But I use it as a data dump location when I need to format one of my machines. 

My second day with a old PowerEdge T310 that I had from a friend (Thank you Tony!!)....Intel Xeon X3470,,,4Gb Ram,,,ATI HD Radeon 3650 512Mb,,,4X 500Gb Baracuda HDD...Changing 1 HDD for a 256Gb Kingston SSD in a couple of days ;),,,Windows 10 for my OS for now...And waiting for some $$ to put more ram in it (32Gb DDR3).Have ordered a video card yesterday...ZOTAC GeForce GT 710.

Have a great day!!!