Buying a new laptop... Help!

Hi All,

I'm looking for a laptop to use for the next 2-3 years or so. I'm primarily going to be using it for a combination of general school crap (documents, powerpoints, email, etc.), programming, and running some reasonably graphically intensive applications. I'm not saying i need a 2080ti in my 3mm ultrabook, but if possible, an mx150 or a 1050 would be nice to have. However, i'd prioritize quiet operation over beefy performance, and asthetics are also important to me, as i'll be using it in a reasonably professional setting, so no T H I C C gaming laptops. 

Mostly i've been considering the Dell XPS 13/15, and (as much as i hate to admit it), the 2019 MBP. 

The XPS 13 seems to be the sexier of the three devices, though the least powerful of the 3 listed above. It's also the smallest. 

The XPS 15 is the most powerful (6 core CPU, 1050), but is heavier and larger (being a 15" device, which i'd rather not take)

The MBP seems to be the best balance of the two, featuring a nice design, good thermals, and good performance. However, it's a bit more expensive and i've traditionally been a windows guy. Any thoughts?

I'm open to comments on the above and any other recommendations :)

Thanks in advance!

-Lukas

1000$ PC: CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @3.6ghz Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming-3 RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 6gb G1 gaming Storage: 2tb Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm PSU: Corsair Vengeance 550m Case: NZXT S340 Black/Red Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ cherry mx browns Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310

What's your budget?

Alienware m16 R1 | AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX | SK Hynix 64 GB 5200 MHz DDR5 RAM | GeForce RTX 4090 16 GB GDDR6 | 16" QHD+ (2560 x 1600) 240Hz, 3ms 300-nits Screen | 2x Samsung 990 PRO 4TB SSDs + WD_BLACK SN770M 2TB SSD | Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 | Windows 11 Pro

No need to be ashamed of the MBP, they are fantastic devices if you fit the usecase.

Also, the 2019 MBP is the most powerful with a Vega 20 and 8 Core CPU.

The only real downsides of the MBP are lack of upgradability and the butterfly keyboard issues, but the 2019 has improved upon the design greatly. If you can purchase the specs you need now, then go for it over the XPS. Just make sure all your apps have macOS versions or alternatives, as Apple hasn't taken bootcamp (windows on Mac devices) serious since Sierra. The drivers are horrid.

I have been a Macbook Air user for quite a long time, I only put mine out of service recently as I needed a touchscreen laptop with pen support so I could take proper notes in maths and legal classes on my laptop.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

Well the xps 13 doesn't have a dedicated GPU so I would rule that one out. The xps 15 seems like a pretty option tbh.