Ok Google, eavesdrop on me. Google employees listening to Google Home recordings

I still don't have a use for a home assistant.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

25 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

And when your hands are dirty or otherwise preoccupied -- for example, in the kitchen, then you're absolutely not going to be faster not to mention the potential impracticality of freeing your hands.

Or any number of lazy scenarios where you don't have your phone on you and don't want to get up, or you left the remote on the other side of the room and don't want to get up.

There are lots of use cases where a smart speaker is advantageous.

My previous roommates got a Google Home, and frankly, in the mornings when I was prepping and about to head out to work, I found myself using it to check the weather, check what time it was, etc, because I was busy and my hands weren't free, and Siri can't hear me when she's in my pocket.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Why should anyone be surprised? No shit when "smart" products is connected to internet to record anything.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

4 hours ago, williamcll said:

I still don't have a use for a home assistant.

If you get any smart home devices (lights, locks, speakers), the usefulness of a voice assistant shoots through the roof.

16 hours ago, Commodus said:

locks

A lock combined with the non-existent security of a "smart" device, definitely a good idea.... /s

22 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

A lock combined with the non-existent security of a "smart" device, definitely a good idea.... /s

If you yell loud enough "Alexa unlock the door" from the outside and it'll unlock the door if it picks you up XD

8 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

If you yell loud enough "Alexa unlock the door" from the outside and it'll unlock the door if it picks you up XD

Or they just crack the wifi and unlock it that way......9_9

3 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

As opposed to the strong security on easily pickable locks?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

14 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

These are just as easy to open.... If you want protection you need a proper lock(keso and the others that are far too hard to pick) and a proper door to.

If it's trained to only recognize your voice or limits what you can do with it (say, only locking the door or checking its status), it's not a huge issue.

You get the point, at any rate -- the use case for a voice assistant goes up with smart home gear.  Nothing quite like turning all the lights off without having to walk from room to room hitting switches.

33 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

People watch movies too much where everyone just picks any lock in 3 seconds using a spoon and a hair pin. Reality is nothing like that. And if double sided invertible keys are used, all that basically flies out the window. There are also cylindrical 3D keys with like 30 contact points. Good luck picking that.

31 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

People watch movies too much where everyone just picks any lock in 3 seconds using a spoon and a hair pin. Reality is nothing like that. And if double sided invertible keys are used, all that basically flies out the window. There are also cylindrical 3D keys with like 30 contact points. Good luck picking that.

Reality is that most people don't have expensive high security locks. They have standard locks which are pickable in very short periods of time if not vulnerable to a bump key, which only takes seconds to use.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

49 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

Reality is that most people don't have expensive high security locks. They have standard locks which are pickable in very short periods of time if not vulnerable to a bump key, which only takes seconds to use.

The fun part is, these more secure versions aren't even that expensive. People who argue price make it sound like they replace 3 lock cylinders a month...

2 hours ago, Commodus said:

Nothing quite like turning all the lights off without having to walk from room to room hitting switches.

Or just dont be a lazy bastard and turn them off when you leave the room.....

49 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Imagine flicking a switch being a more difficult operation than saying "ok google, turn off the lights"

10 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Imagine flicking a switch being a more difficult operation than saying "ok google, turn off the lights"

Cheaper and dont have a spy in my house......

3 hours ago, RejZoR said:

The fun part is, these more secure versions aren't even that expensive. People who argue price make it sound like they replace 3 lock cylinders a month...

People still don't frequently change locks, and if they're changing to a smart lock, I the out of convenience -- just like any other biometric lock.

2 hours ago, RejZoR said:

It absolutely is more difficult in every way.

1 hour ago, jagdtigger said:

Cheaper and dont have a spy in my house......

When the alternative is doing a search on Google anyway, you're not hiding that much from them. The difference is general conversations that might occur in their presence, although at the moment being recorded while not talking to it isn't currently a known problem.

Not to mention it is a CHOICE to sacrifice the potential surveillance (that probably isn't happening -- at least no more so than through any other medium/conspiracy -- hidden microphones embedded in TVs/phones/computers, phone/text conversations being monitored, etc...) for the convenience offered. Especially when you know where it is and know that you can easily move to a different room if you're really that concerned about what's being discussed.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

The whole point is that it's more convenient!  That and you don't have to worry about forgetting a light, or keeping your hands free, or... and that's not including the perks like setting exact brightness and colours.

Basically: don't knock it 'til you've tried it.

Just now, Commodus said:

The whole point is that it's more convenient! 

This level is beyond convenience. Its laziness, and the unhealthy category at that....

Just now, jagdtigger said:

This level is beyond convenience. Its laziness, and the unhealthy category at that....

Like I said, don't knock it 'til you've tried it.  I'm a pretty active person myself, but that doesn't mean I should have to run around flicking switches when it's time for bed.

4 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Yeah the "smart home" gear doesn't seem so smart if people are going to turn all the lights in the house on, and not like its difficult to get up and walk a few feet/meters to turn a light off.

9 hours ago, Commodus said:

Like I said, don't knock it 'til you've tried it.  I'm a pretty active person myself, but that doesn't mean I should have to run around flicking switches when it's time for bed.

Then you should talk to the idiot who installed switched anywhere but next to doors and bed...

9 hours ago, comander said:

If you're busy and doing mentally rigorous work, it's actually smart to cut away needless energy expenditures. 

Like flipping a switch is exhausting. Its not that jard and after a while it becomes a reflex. Kinda when i automatically engage the steering wheel lock and leave my motorbike in gear when its on the side stand

9 hours ago, comander said:

I do encourage everyone to periodically purge all their records though. 

It wont have any effect.... (by that time they already analyzed that info and added it to your profile...)

Imagine being so drained out from work that you cannot flip a light switch anymore. Maybe instead of investing into dumb devices, how about changing a job which is clearly killing you... Also love your "think of the children, otherwise you have nothing to hide" attitude...

^This. Why not make it so that google can shut your door behind you, as you crawl over the threshold, exhausted after another 23.5hr working day :D 

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷