Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Replacing my Modem from Xfinity

Hey everyone, 

I'm not the best at network things and figured I'd give y'all a shot before googling too much into it. But I am looking to replace my Xfinity router that I am renting from them (by buying my own i'll save about $150 a year). I was just curious to ones you guys recommend that would work with what I do. I currently have about 350mb down/50mb UP . I stream on twitch, watch videos, stream netflix, online gaming (PUBG, runescape, fps shooters and anything else really).  What would be a good fit? Price isn't too big of a concern if you have a reason for recommending like a $400 router why would that benefit me over just getting a cheap one off the shelf at Walmart.  

Thank you in advance to any help you guys may post, I will be watching this thread and making my decision hopefully by end of day today or tomorrow. Have a great day 

Do you pay for the modem as well or do they give you a modem/router combo unit, or is it a separate modem and route you rent?

I assume you're getting internet via coax, do you have TV or VoIP service as well or just internet?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

51 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Do you pay for the modem as well or do they give you a modem/router combo unit, or is it a separate modem and route you rent?

I assume you're getting internet via coax, do you have TV or VoIP service as well or just internet?

It's one of the modem/router combos. I have my own home the modem sits about 10mm from my gaming pc lol and they are connected via a patch cable.  the internet comes via coax and I only use the modem, i do not have a cable package as well just the internet.  Hope this answered everything you were asking

2 hours ago, Lurick said:

They provide a gateway. Currently it’s a charge of $11-15 a month. 

Was there dairy in that? ***30 min later**** Yep..... You might want to let it air out for a bit.....😂😂😂😂😂😂

1 hour ago, bobbybdennis said:

It's one of the modem/router combos. I have my own home the modem sits about 10mm from my gaming pc lol and they are connected via a patch cable.  the internet comes via coax and I only use the modem, i do not have a cable package as well just the internet.  Hope this answered everything you were asking

https://amplifi.com

Look into this guy it's really easy to setup and works will. A lot of people will say that mesh network routers aren't good but I've personally deployed this one before and it works very well.

There are two versions a black one that is "Nvidia certified" which basically means it has QOS or quality of service for games and twitch. The white one is basically the same thing but without the same QOS for games and twitch. You also don't have to buy range extenders if you don't need them.

This is my opinion, it doesn't mean I'm right and is liable to change at any time. I may offend of which I apologize in advance.

(Our lord and savior: GabeN)

1 hour ago, Thermite said:

https://amplifi.com

Look into this guy it's really easy to setup and works will. A lot of people will say that mesh network routers aren't good but I've personally deployed this one before and it works very well.

There are two versions a black one that is "Nvidia certified" which basically means it has QOS or quality of service for games and twitch. The white one is basically the same thing but without the same QOS for games and twitch. You also don't have to buy range extenders if you don't need them.

definitely will read up on this one, it is $379 and i don't really need the QOS just cause im the only one who uses internet because I live by myself. Looks really cool though lol. 

10 hours ago, bobbybdennis said:

Hey everyone, 

I'm not the best at network things and figured I'd give y'all a shot before googling too much into it. But I am looking to replace my Xfinity router that I am renting from them (by buying my own i'll save about $150 a year). I was just curious to ones you guys recommend that would work with what I do. I currently have about 350mb down/50mb UP . I stream on twitch, watch videos, stream netflix, online gaming (PUBG, runescape, fps shooters and anything else really).  What would be a good fit? Price isn't too big of a concern if you have a reason for recommending like a $400 router why would that benefit me over just getting a cheap one off the shelf at Walmart.  

Thank you in advance to any help you guys may post, I will be watching this thread and making my decision hopefully by end of day today or tomorrow. Have a great day 

Check out Comcast's supported device list (as Im not sure how many channels you need for 350 Mbps, they dont offer that speed in my area). That will tell you what retail modems are good. Stay away from Docsis 3.0 32 channel modems because they use the Puma 6 chip and as result are defective. If you want a 32 channel modem then go to a Docsis 3.1 modem, these support Comcast's Gigabit speeds. Generally I see Arris and Netgear modems suggested. 

Router wise, its up to you. Id just look for AC wireless at the bare minimum. Just remember, routers are like any thing else, you buy cheap you get cheap. Spend at least $80 on one. TP Link is a good brand for budget routers, not going to have the top features, but they seem to be ok. ASUS and Netgear are heavily suggested around here. Ubiquti is also suggested, but this is more of prosumer/small business product. 

Was there dairy in that? ***30 min later**** Yep..... You might want to let it air out for a bit.....😂😂😂😂😂😂

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

Check out Comcast's supported device list (as Im not sure how many channels you need for 350 Mbps, they dont offer that speed in my area). That will tell you what retail modems are good. Stay away from Docsis 3.0 32 channel modems because they use the Puma 6 chip and as result are defective. If you want a 32 channel modem then go to a Docsis 3.1 modem, these support Comcast's Gigabit speeds. Generally I see Arris and Netgear modems suggested. 

Router wise, its up to you. Id just look for AC wireless at the bare minimum. Just remember, routers are like any thing else, you buy cheap you get cheap. Spend at least $80 on one. TP Link is a good brand for budget routers, not going to have the top features, but they seem to be ok. ASUS and Netgear are heavily suggested around here. Ubiquti is also suggested, but this is more of prosumer/small business product. 

Ok so if i replace my modem, i'll have to buy a new modem and router? Do they sell a modem that does wireless as well?

38 minutes ago, bobbybdennis said:

Ok so if i replace my modem, i'll have to buy a new modem and router? Do they sell a modem that does wireless as well?

They sell gateways but I personally would never buy one. Separate is always better.