Ultrabook VS Cheaper Clunky "Gaming" Laptop

So I am searching for a laptop, to replace my current, and aging machine.

I need a 8th or 9th gen i7, 16gb of ram, 512gb of SSD storage, a good battery life, 1080p IPS (no need for 4k or touch), fine with 13in or 15in, a decent keyboard, and at least 1 USA-A port.

Now I think that limits me to either expensive ultrabooks, or clunkier thicker budget options. I was wondering what are my options here? I'd rather not spend more than I have to, but I want to know the options in both categories.

Thanks!

Double check everything, I am usually wrong.

What is your budget? That is going to be the biggest factor that we would need to be able to help get you something that would work for you. 

Do you have a preference either way regarding getting an ultrabook or a thicker and less portable option? 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

4 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

What is your budget? That is going to be the biggest factor that we would need to be able to help get you something that would work for you. 

Do you have a preference either way regarding getting an ultrabook or a thicker and less portable option? 

Budget is fluid, but I'd really prefer to not spend more money than I have to. I would prefer an ultrabook, but due to the higher costs I also want to consider the best budget options. So the best options that meet those criteria in both camps is what I'd really like to know.

Anyone have thoughts on the ASUS ZenBook 13 (UX333FA-AB77)? Seems to be a cheaper alternative to the XPS 13, with all the right features?

45 minutes ago, TeenTesla said:

So I am searching for a laptop, to replace my current, and aging machine.

I need a 8th or 9th gen i7, 16gb of ram, 512gb of SSD storage, a good battery life, 1080p IPS (no need for 4k or touch), fine with 13in or 15in, a decent keyboard, and at least 1 USA-A port.

Now I think that limits me to either expensive ultrabooks, or clunkier thicker budget options. I was wondering what are my options here? I'd rather not spend more than I have to, but I want to know the options in both categories.

Thanks!

Sounds like a Dell XPS 15 or similar model from Lenovo or HP's business lineup is what you're after. They would have the i7, 512GB SSD storage, RAM, & good battery requirements you're after. ASUS Zenbooks work too, but I'm not familiar with how that lineup has changed in recent years.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Here is the product I am talking about, it comes it $300 under an almost identical XPS 13, and similar products.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QWLXCC7/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

What am I missing here, is it too good to be true? The (very few) reviews I found seem to like it, but are they missing something major like thermal throttling issues, bad battery, etc?

Here is what I was looking for in general: I need a 8th or 9th gen i7, 16gb of ram, 512gb of SSD storage, a good battery life, 1080p IPS (no need for 4k or touch), fine with 13in or 15in, a decent keyboard, and at least 1 USA-A port.

That's actually a pretty fucking good deal. ASUS laptops have build quality issues. My wife's is about 3 years old and is more on the heavy use/gaming side of things with a 6700HQ and a GTX 950M. Her battery has gone to shit and her screen has white spots on it from where it comes in contact with the keyboard when closed. Aside from that, it's been a tank, and she uses/abuses it all the time at work.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

2 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

That's actually a pretty fucking good deal. ASUS laptops have build quality issues. My wife's is about 3 years old and is more on the heavy use/gaming side of things with a 6700HQ and a GTX 950M. Her battery has gone to shit and her screen has white spots on it from where it comes in contact with the keyboard when closed. Aside from that, it's been a tank, and she uses/abuses it all the time at work.

This white spot issue seems very concerning, how noticable is it?

1 minute ago, TeenTesla said:

This white spot issue seems very concerning, how noticable is it?

I hardly ever look at her laptop, but it stands out like a sore thumb to me. Keep in mind this is an older, chunkier, less premium laptop compared to what you're looking at. Look at reviews of older versions of that same laptop, or see what owners are saying about it today to see if older ones have the same problem.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.