HTTPS bad, Filtering good - UK ISPs name Mozilla as "Internet Villain"

rcmaehl

Source:
ZDnet

Summary:
UK ISPs have named Mozilla an "internet villain" for adding support for DNS-over-HTTPs "in such a way as to bypass UK filtering obligations and parental controls, undermining internet safety standards in the UK."

Media:
D-qpkXmXUAEe6mm.png:large

Quotes/Excerpts:

Internet service providers in the UK [have] nominated Mozilla for this year's award of "Internet Villain" because of the browser maker's plans to support the DNS-over-HTTPS (DoH) protocol. Internet Services Providers Association (ISPAUK) claimed that Mozilla plans to support DNS-over-HTTPS "in such a way as to bypass UK filtering obligations and parental controls, undermining internet safety standards in the UK."  DNS-over-HTTPS...works by sending DNS requests via an encrypted HTTPS connection, rather than using a classic plaintext UDP request. The other difference is that besides being encrypted, the DoH protocol also works at the app level, rather than the OS level. All DoH traffic is basically just HTTPS. As a side-effect of this design, this also means that each app controls the privacy of its DNS queries, and can hardwire a list of DNS-over-HTTPS servers (resolvers) in its settings, and not depend on the operating system's default. This protocol design means that a user's DNS requests are invisible to third-party observers, such as ISPs. By planning to support DNS-over-HTTPS, Mozilla is throwing a monkey wrench in many ISPs' ability to sniff on customers' traffic and filter traffic for government-mandated "bad sites." The jab from the ISPAUK trade association follows a two-month period during which both Google and Mozilla have been criticized in the UK. Similarly, the GCHQ, Britain's intelligence service, has also criticized both Google and Mozilla, claiming the new protocol would impede police investigations and that it could undermine its existing government protections against malicious websites. Currently, DoH is not supported in the stable versions of Chrome and Firefox. A Mozilla spokesperson did not return a request for comment in regards to the organization's nomination.

My Thoughts:

There's a quote about if x then your government is run by criminals but I can't remember it right now. Regardless, it's interesting to see ISPs be so direct about villainizing one of the bigger free speech/online privacy advocates. The security vs privacy debate will continue to go on.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Is there even a single ISP that isn't basically Hitler? What's about these companies that makes them so strong? What happened to open market? 

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

So it's down to the old "If you have nothing to hide..." saying huh?

It's always something those in power or those who want to maintain control that bring it up to try and dig into other people's lives but if the tables were ever turned on them it would be the worst thing in the world and blah blah blah. Perhaps those in charge of the ISPs should give up encryption first and all their privacy?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

it just gives them an excuse to implement DPI.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Mozilla the internet villain is not a designation I would have ever thought about.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Well I guess if Mozilla is an internet villian, then I'm an internet mafia member for using FF.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

When you didn't think you needed more incentive to use Firefox, you're given a pearl like this.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

12 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

UK ISPs have named Mozilla an "internet villain" for adding support for DNS-over-HTTPs "in such a way as to bypass UK filtering obligations and parental controls, undermining internet safety standards in the UK."

Oh, shit! I've set my Pfsense-router to use DNS-over-TLS, which means it applies to everything and not just Firefox, ergo I must be akin to a mass-murderer!

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, WereCatf said:

Oh, shit! I've set my Pfsense-router to use DNS-over-TLS, which means it applies to everything and not just Firefox, ergo I must be akin to a mass-murderer!

Reported to the interwebs police!!!!

Surrender immediately criminal scum!

:D

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

image.jpeg.0aa108e47be777ead528fa833fa64a72.jpeg

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

#FirefoxGang

1 minute ago, duncannah said:

UK does DNS hijacking? I thought only authoritarian countries did that

It's "for the children", only good countries protect the children!

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, duncannah said:

I thought only authoritarian countries did that

I have this bridge I'd like to sell you.....

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Hahahaa... ISPs not able to fulfill laws made by idiots and crying over companies that put privacy over "oh no, think about the children".

Similarly, the GCHQ, Britain's intelligence service, has also criticized both Google and Mozilla, claiming the new protocol would impede police investigations and that it could undermine its existing government protections against malicious websites.

HAHAHAHAAA! We are hitting the illegal levels of incompetence. ? I just worry how police in countries that don't use internet censorship and actively scan everything people do in the net can solve crimes [/sarcasm]

For real, UK just leave already. Anything related to UK is just getting more and more silly and I fear the worlds #1 nanny country award is soon given to UK.

im sure they are scrambling to figure out how to block firefox from being used

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

People not realizing UK ISPs are the good guys here. Because of this a lot of people are turning the feature on because they weren't aware it even existed. This was a hidden PSA.

In case you want it:

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Ahahahahahahah

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

now I am definitly keeping FF

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!