Is this a good FIRST build?

cso
Go to solution Solved by brob,
1 hour ago, cso said:

Ok so I've revised everything you guys have told me and I've edited it pretty good I think, wanna take a look?

The case comes with a single fan so it might run hotter than it should. A second case fan for this case design is a good idea.

The S12II psu is decent but quite dated and doesn't provide modern protections. A newer design that offers these protections would be a good idea. At the low end Corsair CX and CXM along with Cooler Master MasterWatt are good choices.

I never take into account mail in rebates when working to a particular budget. 

The OP does not indicate the use for such a machine. If it is going to be general use, browsing, and very light gaming then using a 2400G would allow for a larger ssd and better case since the discrete could be eliminated.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($129.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($74.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Team - T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($56.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Intel - 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($94.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Fractal Design - Define Mini C MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($89.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($41.99 @ Corsair) 
Total: $488.83
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-04 11:28 EDT-0400

But if a gaming system is the intended use, the 1600 with a discrete gpu is the better combination.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($116.89 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: Team - T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($56.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Patriot - Burst 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($44.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Asus - Radeon RX 570 8 GB AREZ Expedition Video Card  ($149.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: DIYPC - MA08-BK MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($25.96 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($41.99 @ Corsair) 
Total: $511.80
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-04 11:22 EDT-0400

Ok so I really want to get into building and repairing pc's, and I have no money to do so with, so I've just been doing pcpartpicker like linus did with Anthony. Such as 500$ budget 1000$ budget etc, I wanted to know if this was a decent 500$ budget  (not caring about aesthetics) but just performance. Like I said I have little experience in the Hardware field and have been getting into it, also, if anyone has tips of where to start learning that would be great, don't just say "youtube" but like topics of certain critical information that will be useful/required in this line of work. Thank you

Please judge or tell me how I could have done better, I appreciate it

$500 budget pcpartpicker

No. Here's some of the not so great things with it.

The AMD Ryzen processors come with a stock cooler that's actually quite decent. Don't waste your money on extra cooler, move the money somewhere else.
If you find you can't overclock as much as you want with the stock cooler, you can always buy a third party cooler at a later time and install it.

Go for a Ryzen 1600, you get 6 cores and 12 threads for a few dollars more.

Go for a slightly better motherboard. Don't cheap so much on motherboard.

Ryzen really likes fast memory, you will see noticeable performance increase by going with 3000 Mhz or 3200 Mhz memory.

I'll edit the message later to suggest some parts to improve this.

edit: LukeSavenije saves the day, made some good suggestions.

The processor and motherboard suggestions of his are good.

You may want to go with a 256 GB pci-e x4 m.2 SSD like this 38$ one: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/78c48d/adata-xpg-sx6000-pro-256-gb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-asx6000pnp-256gt-c

And buy a basic 2-4 TB mechanical drive for games and music and video.

3 minutes ago, mariushm said:

No. Here's some of the not so great things with it.

The AMD Ryzen processors come with a stock cooler that's actually quite decent. Don't waste your money on extra cooler, move the money somewhere else.
If you find you can't overclock as much as you want with the stock cooler, you can always buy a third party cooler at a later time and install it.

Go for a Ryzen 1600, you get 6 cores and 12 threads for a few dollars more.

Go for a slightly better motherboard. Don't cheap so much on motherboard.

Ryzen really likes fast memory, you will see noticeable performance increase by going with 3000 Mhz or 3200 Mhz memory.

I'll edit the message later to suggest some parts to improve this.

Ok thank you

Here are some pointers:

The Ryzen 5 1600 is much cheaper than the 1500x, and has 2 more cores. .1GHz slower clocks mean very little.

The CPU cooler is good, the 212 black edition is $1 cheaper though, so there's some nice savings.

Your motherboard lacks VRM cooling. @LukeSavenije recommended a better one, and the ASRock B450M pro4 of other revisions is better suited.

fast dual channel memory for first gen ryzen yields pretty enormous gains in performance, and faster ram is not that expensive.

No SSD in a gaming PC? prepare for it to feel slow and sluggish.

That is the cheapest RX 570 with 8GB, but the 4GB variant does the job for 1080p gaming, I would also suggest looking to eBay for a sub $100 RX 480 deal, you'll get more performance for less.

Never spend less than $30 on a PC case, you'll pay for it.Check out the PSU tier list for some insight as to a better power supply.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

eck out the PSU tier list for some insight as to a better power supply.

to add on that why i changed it

it uses double mag amp regulation, which means it's better than a group regulated unit (regulating 12v and 5v together), but worse than a dc-dc, as dc-dc doesn't need a load to work

Why don’t you put a 2600 in there

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($148.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($73.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Team - Vulcan 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($38.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Team - GX2 512 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($38.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: PowerColor - Radeon RX 570 4 GB RED DRAGON Video Card  ($119.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Rosewill - SRM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($26.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $489.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-04 10:15 EDT-0400

Ok so I've revised everything you guys have told me and I've edited it pretty good I think, wanna take a look?

If you get that just oc the ram to 2933mhz, its really easy.

8700K @ 5.2ghz 1.29V, 4x8 Rev.E @ 4040 13-20-20-39 1.7V.

Just now, alatron978 said:

If you get that just oc the ram to 2933mhz, its really easy.

I do not plan on getting it, im just trying to learn about hardware and maybe help out my friends if they need help building a pc

1 minute ago, cso said:

The motherboard you chose is based on the B350 chipset.

You should stick to B450 chipset, as those motherboards will support Ryzen 3rd gen and future processors better.

You can do better for SSD for a few more dollars. Try to use that M.2 connector you have on the motherboard.

Don't spend 27$ on a 500 GB hard drive. You spend 5-10$ more and you get 1TB... it's ridiculous to get 500 GB mechanical drives these days. 

Alternatively, you can get a 800GB - 1 TB SSD for around 60$ ... just a few dollars more than the ssd+hdd you chose. 

3 minutes ago, cso said:

I do not plan on getting it, im just trying to learn about hardware and maybe help out my friends if they need help building a pc

Ok, just never get <2933mhz ram with ryzen unless you are going to overclock.

8700K @ 5.2ghz 1.29V, 4x8 Rev.E @ 4040 13-20-20-39 1.7V.

5 minutes ago, cso said:

Gigabyte - GA-AB350M-DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard

I wouldn’t recommend this motherboard. The B450M Pro4 is around the same price.

I got a ps5 and a pc pretty ballin

Just now, mariushm said:

The motherboard you chose is based on the B350 chipset.

You should stick to B450 chipset, as those motherboards will support Ryzen 3rd gen and future processors better.

You can do better for SSD for a few more dollars. Try to use that M.2 connector you have on the motherboard.

Don't spend 27$ on a 500 GB hard drive. You spend 5-10$ more and you get 1TB... it's ridiculous to get 500 GB mechanical drives these days. 

Alternatively, you can get a 800GB - 1 TB SSD for around 60$ ... just a few dollars more than the ssd+hdd you chose. 

Awesome thank you for the help! ❤️

Just now, star_pilot475 said:

I wouldn’t recommend this motherboard. The B450M Pro4 is around the same price.

Ok, Thank you for the tips!

7 minutes ago, cso said:

read my comment added to @fasauceome...

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

read my comment added to @fasauceome...

That's great info! Thank you so much

8 minutes ago, cso said:

669A9CC5-43C3-4540-9BB6-DF098FE83D19.jpeg

I got a ps5 and a pc pretty ballin

1 hour ago, cso said:

The case comes with a single fan so it might run hotter than it should. A second case fan for this case design is a good idea.

The S12II psu is decent but quite dated and doesn't provide modern protections. A newer design that offers these protections would be a good idea. At the low end Corsair CX and CXM along with Cooler Master MasterWatt are good choices.

I never take into account mail in rebates when working to a particular budget. 

The OP does not indicate the use for such a machine. If it is going to be general use, browsing, and very light gaming then using a 2400G would allow for a larger ssd and better case since the discrete could be eliminated.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($129.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Intel - 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($94.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Fractal Design - Define Mini C MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($89.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $488.83
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-04 11:28 EDT-0400

But if a gaming system is the intended use, the 1600 with a discrete gpu is the better combination.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($116.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Patriot - Burst 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($44.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Asus - Radeon RX 570 8 GB AREZ Expedition Video Card  ($149.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: DIYPC - MA08-BK MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($25.96 @ Newegg) 
Total: $511.80
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-04 11:22 EDT-0400

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.