Apple reportedly giving up on the infamous Butterfly Keyboard

Dafydd

https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/4/20682079/apple-butterfly-switch-scissor-switch-2019-macbook-air-2020-macbook-pro

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/07/04/apple-to-use-scissor-switch-keyboard-macbooks/

What about all of the people who’ve already bought a MacBook of which the keyboard will die when a speck of dust gets into it? Trade-in? I don’t know…

“Apple will reportedly move to a new scissor-switch design, which will use glass fiber to reinforce its keys.“

“Apple's butterfly keyboards are highly controversial and have been called out as one of the company's worst design decisions due to their penchant for failure due to small particulates like crumbs or heat issues.”

5 minutes ago, Dafydd said:

What about all of the people who’ve already bought a MacBook of which the keyboard will die when a speck of dust gets into it? Trade-in? I don’t know…

Next time they'll buy a thiccpad

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I'm glad to see they're discontinuing the butterfly keyboard, it was an unreliable mess. 

That being said, I thought it was quite a nice keyboard to use. It's a shame it was so unreliable.

good. i hate those keyboards. my dad has a 2018 15" MBP that hasn't failed yet, and i don't think it will since he doesn't use it very much, and on top of that we have excellent warranty by law here, so i don't think it will be an issue for him... 

but if it's your only computer and it fails you goofed... 

She/Her

I hope they go back to the old keyboard design or something very simiilar from etc macbook pro 2010 design.... still small keys/travl time and nice clicking/feedback from the keys... i can't stand the butterfly design.. and this have been the reason why i haven't got any macbook ever since they changed the design...

Now i'm a windows desktop user... and my GF is a apple user, she have a mid 2010 pro macbook.. yea is f***ing old.. but it's in fact still a fairly useable machine after i swithed it out with a SSD instead... and the best part about that old 2010 model.. is the keyboard and the magnetic charge port...

1 hour ago, Dafydd said:

which will use glass fiber to reinforce its keys.“ 

that sounds fragile as hell

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Personally I love the super short travel of the butterfly keys. Reliability however...

Main System - 2016 13"nTB MBP 256GB

Gaming Rig - 4790K, 16GB RAM, 1080Ti
Monitor - Dell 25" U2515H

K/B & M - Ducky One TKL, Logitech MX Master & G900

Audio - JDS Labs The Element, Aktimate Mini B+, Krix Seismix 3 Mk6, Ultrasone Pro 900

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

You know what that means

✨FNIGE✨

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

Why? Because it contains the word glass?

Glass fiber is very durable and light. For example it's used in boat hulls.

finally

9 hours ago, Dafydd said:

What about all of the people who’ve already bought a MacBook of which the keyboard will die when a speck of dust gets into it?

they knew what they were getting themselves into when they decided to buy it in the first place. At this point they only have themselves to blame

Now how about they also finally fix the awful thermal dissipation solution

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

9 hours ago, XR6 said:

I'm glad to see they're discontinuing the butterfly keyboard, it was an unreliable mess. 

That being said, I thought it was quite a nice keyboard to use. It's a shame it was so unreliable.

I fucking hated them. I normally type around 120WPM, and I can burst 150 for a few seconds. I could barely do 80WPM on that keyboard. I hated them. Loud, ugly, uncomfortable to type on, and on top of all that, ridiculously unreliable.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

7 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I fucking hated them. I normally type around 120WPM, and I can burst 150 for a few seconds.

My wpm has always been 65. Sure I can burst in the 120 range in a typing test but IRL speeds are much lower, more like a few sentences per minute maybe. It's got nothing to do with the keyboard I use though as that wpm has stayed with me since the 5th grade. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

I just use a keyboard cover. Although that's just because there have been many coffee-related incidents and the keyboard. 

Shame, I liked the butterfly switch. Their keyboards went from really good to amazing in terms of typing feel, imo.

Bring back the pre-rietna keyboard! I've yet to find a more pleasurable keyboard other than C2D era Thinkpads.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

I hope this is true. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

2 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

My wpm has always been 65. Sure I can burst in the 120 range in a typing test but IRL speeds are much lower, more like a few sentences per minute maybe. It's got nothing to do with the keyboard I use though as that wpm has stayed with me since the 5th grade. 

Even if it doesn't for you, keyboard can (and will) have a pretty massive effect on wpm for many people. I make a lot of errors on my MX Red keyboard, but put my Ducky with MX Blues in front of me and I can sustain 120 wpm.

Current Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RTX 3080 Ti FE

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus Wifi

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

PSU: EVGA G6 Supernova 850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Current Laptop:

Model: Asus ROG Zephyrus G14

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HS

GPU: RTX 3060

RAM: 16GB @3200 MHz

Old PC:

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @4.9 GHz/1.315v

Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A

19 minutes ago, Emberstone said:

Even if it doesn't for you, keyboard can (and will) have a pretty massive effect on wpm for many people. I make a lot of errors on my MX Red keyboard, but put my Ducky with MX Blues in front of me and I can sustain 120 wpm.

I have no idea how many WPM I do

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

It sucked that the keyboard had issues, but I do love the fact that Apple keeps innovating and keeping the stagnant PC market fresh with new designs and new ideas. Without Apple, I don't think we would've seen thin laptops becoming mainstream and forcing WinIntel laptops to adopt the same design aesthetic and saving people's backs. 

Sometimes, when you innovate, you face challenges that you can't solve and you just have to keep moving forward. 

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K | Motherboard: Asus Maximus Code XI | Graphics Card: RTX 3090 FE | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 MHz | 

Storage: LOADS of drives: SSD + HDD | PSU: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850 W | 

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout (window) | Cooling: CRYORIG H5 Universal 

PCPartPicker List

2 hours ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

Shame, I liked the butterfly switch. Their keyboards went from really good to amazing in terms of typing feel, imo.

Bring back the pre-rietna keyboard! I've yet to find a more pleasurable keyboard other than C2D era Thinkpads.

My work has several 2008 era MBP and C2D era Thinkpads and man, those things are fantastic to type on! Night and day difference in typing experience between these older machines and the current machines that are on offer.

If I could upgrade the CPUs on those older machines, I would, just for the sake of typing experience! I don't care that the screens are worse or that the ports are legacy USB 2.0 ports or have VGA ports. 

I use those machines from time to time and every time I typed, a burst of serotonin was injected into my body. So fun to type on them - MBP or Thinkpad. Both companies had something special going on in terms of keyboards at least during that time...

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K | Motherboard: Asus Maximus Code XI | Graphics Card: RTX 3090 FE | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 MHz | 

Storage: LOADS of drives: SSD + HDD | PSU: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850 W | 

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout (window) | Cooling: CRYORIG H5 Universal 

PCPartPicker List

11 hours ago, Arika S said:

They use fiberglass for boats and cars. It's a pretty dense and durable material or thready material depending on its use purpose (insulation vs structure).

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

10 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Why? Because it contains the word glass?

Glass fiber is very durable and light. For example it's used in boat hulls.

22 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

They use fiberglass for boats and cars. It's a pretty dense and durable material or thready material depending on its use purpose (insulation vs structure).

alright, put it this way, when was the last time you saw an apple product where the glass wasn't smashed? :D

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

12 minutes ago, Arika S said:

when was the last time you say an apple product where the glass wasn't smashed?

Uhm, the iPhone 4s :P... 

https://youtu.be/j_I3LJiaWzU

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

If it's true, it'll be the quickest MBP upgrade I've ever done at two years.  Normally I run them for 4-5 years, but I'll jump at the chance for the old scissor switch keys or something like them.  I knew what I was getting into with this late '18 MBP, but it is terrible to type on.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

1 hour ago, will4623 said:

I have no idea how many WPM I do

https://play.typeracer.com/

Current Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RTX 3080 Ti FE

Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus Wifi

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

PSU: EVGA G6 Supernova 850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Current Laptop: