Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Over 70% of Steam users are now running Windows 10 64-bit

15 hours ago, thorhammerz said:

And it'll pretty much stay in that ballpark until OEMs like Dell / HP / etc. arse themselves to provide a pre-installed version of it on their offerings ?.

Dell does that with some of its laptops, actually quite popular with developpers.

13 hours ago, BigDamn said:

This hardware survey doesn't seem to make much sense. AMD is going down in CPU market share... what? Meanwhile, they AREN'T going down in GPU market share.... WHAT? And how are dual and quad core CPU's the super majority here? I get that this survey is utterly massive and takes ages for it to show significant change, but damn this seems to be the opposite of the way the market is moving.

Side note, I find it odd that my two desktops (both Windows 7, both AMD CPUs, 1 with Nvidia 1 with AMD GPU) haven't been prompted for this survey in ages. My laptop (Windows 10, Intel CPU, Nvidia GPU)? Been asked twice in one year. Odd...

I kind of agree. The survey is just a slice of the users. However I don't think its cherry picked.

My desktops and laptop are all intel and nvidia and in all these years I can only remember 1 survey.

Its not like im not on steam much, i almost use it everyday.

15 minutes ago, LeSheen said:

Dell does that with some of its laptops, actually quite popular with developpers.

An interesting find - although I still stand by my point (with an asterisk - mainstream laptops).

3 minutes ago, thorhammerz said:

An interesting find - although I still stand by my point (with an asterisk - mainstream laptops).

So the xps line isn't mainstream?

17 minutes ago, LeSheen said:

So the xps line isn't mainstream?

As a specifically denoted "developer" SKU ??

Looks like some (older generation?) Precision laptops also have Ubuntu available by default, although the Dell website doesn't seem to want to be particularly co-operative today in displaying those.

Just now, thorhammerz said:

As a specifically denoted "developer" SKU ??

Didn't say its specifically named as a developer sku, just said it was popular with them. At least at our office. You used to be able to customize it while ordering. But now it seems like all the linux laptops have their own page. It is however still the same hardware. And I don't thins you'll find one in brick and mortar stores. So you still have to go out of your way to find them.

not to change the topic, but ram is the most interesting stat to look at, 

for 1 , i didnt expect the more than 16 gb to be so small and the existence of like 3 gb, almost 3% of steam users have , its weird to see those small and mismatched memory having percentages, assumed those would have been zero to none,

could also be because of old windows machines as well 

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

9 minutes ago, LeSheen said:

Didn't say its specifically named as a developer sku,

I assumed you meant the "XPS 13 Developer edition" (the one that comes with the intel 8th generation U series processors).

And I don't thins you'll find one in brick and mortar stores. So you still have to go out of your way to find them.

Returning to my original point with this particular piece - until you can find them as an option alongside Win 10 in your run-of-the-mill laptops... the market share for Linux distros isn't going to be moving anywhere (e.g. below 1-2% against a predominantly windows 7/8/10 environment).

6 minutes ago, Tamesh16 said:

for 1 , i didnt expect the more than 16 gb to be so small and the existence of like 3 gb, almost 3% of steam users have , its weird to see those small and mismatched memory having percentages, assumed those would have been zero to none,

Internally mismatching RAM configurations serve a dual purpose of allowing OEMs get rid of excess sticks, and allows them finer granularity (or just better margins) on pricing (your average joe is not going to notice single vs. dual channel ram web surfing / netflix watching / word processing / light gaming on MX150/Intel HD level graphics).

What percentage of gamers build there own PC? Since that's what this kind off comes down to. You can't build you own Mac, at least not conventionally. And the overlap between Linux enthusiasts and people who don't know much about computer hardware can't be that big.

As long as most Pre-Builds and Laptops include Windows not much is going to change. It's a shame since I would like to see the Linux percentage rise, especially since it's Steam that has been behind Linux support. It would make Linux a more attractive option with better and easier driver support in general.

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

Majority of the CPU's out there are dual and quad core,  A lot of the rhetoric on forums about more cores is just enthusiast noise.  The general consumer (and gamer) doesn't need more than 4 cores for just about majority of games/end uses.   Given that, it is going to take a few more years before we start seeing 6+ core cpu's rise in these surveys as they slowly become the majority in consumer space.

Also I never got asked to be apart of the survey until I got an AMD GPU, it's just random.

I bet a almost all the 2 core and a lot of the 4 core PCs is laptops and not desktops.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

9 minutes ago, Mihle said:

I bet a almost all the 2 core and a lot of the 4 core PCs is laptops and not desktops.

could be.    Laptops generally outsell desktops in the prebuilt market.  looking at the GPU sales, about 44M a year, means that additions to the desktop gaming market are not that high (custom or prebuilt).  And GPU's get upgraded twice as often as CPU's.

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

The dual cores are probably older desktops and lower end laptops with the quad cores being the newer systems. That being said, you've not really needed anything over a quad core until recently and once the next-generation of consoles launch, I do think 6-cores will become the minimum for Triple A games with 8-cores or higher bring for higher frame rates, multitasking and streaming.

Everytime I hit my funny bone unexpectedly it's like my own personal Pearl Harbour.

Don't call it a grave, it's the future you chose.

Project JAPC Build Log

18 hours ago, BigDamn said:

*lots of WHAT?!*

I get that this survey is utterly massive and takes ages for it to show significant change, but damn this seems to be the opposite of the way the market is moving.

I feel like if they make the data available, they should at least give you some filters. For example, there are some very casual gamers that probably open steam quite rarely, or some people who even forget they have it installed, who have opted into the hardware surveys. This sort of person is also less likely to have up to date hardware.

I think a filter for logins within the last say, 48 hours before the data was pulled,would show the people who are consistently using steam and gaming on it, and present a dramatic change in the trends shown here. More towards what you might expect.

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

21 hours ago, BigDamn said:

And how are dual and quad core CPU's the super majority here? I get that this survey is utterly massive and takes ages for it to show significant change, but damn this seems to be the opposite of the way the market is moving.

I have to think a mixture of two things:
1) Laptops - The survey isn't just desktops, and a vast majority of laptops over these past 6 years use U series processors. And only starting with the 8th gen did U processors finally become quadcores.
and 2) People still haven't upgraded their 7th gen and older CPU PCs. - I don't blame em. If your PC runs the games you play perfectly, why spend $200+ on an upgrade with a smaller performance increase then a new GPU would probably bring. (Also swapping a CPU + Mobo, is a hassle.)

On 7/3/2019 at 10:05 AM, TVwazhere said:

I'd say one arguable benefit for Win 10 is security.

I would say thats the only benefit

the only good thing about 10 is the time period of support , which is a microsoft chosen time period. Otherwise the os is truly useless to me and doesn't offer a single benefit and has several disadvantages to me. I mean , can you name something I do that i need 10 for? anything? anything that isn't "security" or "updates"?

thank god the number of people who stuck with 7 is so high so I'm not alone in this opinion. I mean i had a feeling , but to get this several year long confirmation that a massive majority never wanted it and are only moving to it through necessity is such a good thing to see. makes me feel good that i didn't just take the candy from the stranger in a van. lol

Supporting users still running Windows 7 - Windows 8.1 has been pretty annoying as a gamedev, usually due to little issues like CreateDXGIFactory2 being unavailable. Most of the phablet features users hated in the first year are off by default or gone as well. Interested to see what direction microsoft takes with the next version, they have been wanting to rewrite the architecture for quite some time as it really hasn't changed much since Windows 98.