[Question] - Linus mentioned on the WAN Show that USB extension cables cause issues?

Euphoria
Go to solution Solved by myselfolli,

USB cables > 5 meters can significantly decrease signal stability and may cause issues, with cable lengths of <5 meters, preferrably not more than 3 you should be fine

Recently on the WAN Show, I can't remember if it was the latest episode or not, Linus very briefly mentioned: "USB extension cables causing issues, or being very problematic" it was something like that, I can't find where here said it now.

When he said this I didn't pay any attention to it my brain didn't click, until today when it just occurred to me that I've been a PC enthusiast for the best part of 20 years but somehow I've never actually had to use a simple USB extension cable for anything mission critical, I'm sure I've used one or two on some little things; USB powered speakers or something like that, but never anything important like a mouse or KB used for gaming.
So this now has me a little concerned because I was just about to order half a dozen 3m or 5m USB 3.0 extension cables as I'm currently building a wall mounted rig so the system will be quite far away from my desk.

Are USB extension cables really a pain in the butt and I've somehow never heard this over the years? Do they add significant latency now since 3.0+ or something else?

I would be using 3 or 5 meters cables for a G502 mouse, mechanical keyboard, powered USB hub, and a few other non-important things.

Build: "The Cake Is A Lie" - (Portal 2 Theme)  Wall Mounted (in a ThermalTake Core P8 all sides removed)  Ryzen 5900X • 64GB Team Group Dark Pro (B-Dies) 3600MHz CL16 • ASUS X570-E Gaming • EK Quantum Plexi Monoblock  MSI RTX 3090 Suprim X  EK Quantum Plexi Block  2TB Samsung 980 Pro Gen4 NVME  8TB Samsung 870 QVO  Corsair RM 850X 2x EK P480M Radiators   PrimoChill Fittings  2x D5 Pumps  Monsoon MMRS Pump Housing  2x HeatKiller Tube 200 Reservoirs  

USB cables > 5 meters can significantly decrease signal stability and may cause issues, with cable lengths of <5 meters, preferrably not more than 3 you should be fine

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

Just now, myselfolli said:

You can get power extensions that eliminate this issue right?

Also, maybe consider what Linus does with his personal rig, having the PC far away with one or two thunderbolt connections for everything.

i5 6600k and GTX 1070 but I play 1600-900. 1440p BABY!

Still, don't put too much faith in my buying decisions. xD 

1 minute ago, YedZed said:

Also, maybe consider what Linus does with his personal rig, having the PC far away with one or two thunderbolt connections for everything.

That'd be an option, yeah.

I'd opt for shorter cable runs or thunderbolt connections, although that'd probably be somewhat pricey

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

On 7/2/2019 at 5:55 PM, YedZed said:

On 7/2/2019 at 5:59 PM, myselfolli said:

That'd be an option, yeah.

I'd opt for shorter cable runs or thunderbolt connections, although that'd probably be somewhat pricey

I've had a bit of a (re)measure and worked the numbers, I think with some rerouting I can get the extensions down to 2.5m plus the length of the device cable.

Also, Thunderbolt isn't an option sadly, not until my next platform update.

Thanks, I appreciate the info.

Build: "The Cake Is A Lie" - (Portal 2 Theme)  Wall Mounted (in a ThermalTake Core P8 all sides removed)  Ryzen 5900X • 64GB Team Group Dark Pro (B-Dies) 3600MHz CL16 • ASUS X570-E Gaming • EK Quantum Plexi Monoblock  MSI RTX 3090 Suprim X  EK Quantum Plexi Block  2TB Samsung 980 Pro Gen4 NVME  8TB Samsung 870 QVO  Corsair RM 850X 2x EK P480M Radiators   PrimoChill Fittings  2x D5 Pumps  Monsoon MMRS Pump Housing  2x HeatKiller Tube 200 Reservoirs