ASUS DSL-AC88U 2.4Ghz issues

Eeglis

My ASUS DSL-AC88U is conciderably weaker than 5GHz bandwidth. Right next to the modem I'm getting 40/9 (out of 50/10) and couple walls away it's 30/8, while 5GHz is still getting capping out at 50/10. The 2.4GHz also occasionally drops users from the network, for seemingly no reason.

no idea what to put here

14 hours ago, Eeglis said:

for seemingly no reason.

2.4 Ghz is used for baby monitors, Bluetooth, wireless keyboards/ mice and a whole host of other things. So its not no reason. 2.4 Ghz also has range, meaning other wireless networks operating on the same channel or near enough channels can cause interference. Try changing the channel 2.4 Ghz uses and see if that helps, but it could be an issue from other devices. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 7/2/2019 at 10:38 PM, Donut417 said:

2.4 Ghz is used for baby monitors, Bluetooth, wireless keyboards/ mice and a whole host of other things. So its not no reason. 2.4 Ghz also has range, meaning other wireless networks operating on the same channel or near enough channels can cause interference. Try changing the channel 2.4 Ghz uses and see if that helps, but it could be an issue from other devices. 

Ok, I should add, that I live in a fairly sparcely populated and don't have babies or too much of 2.4GHz gear. Disabling beamforming helped quite a bit, until today when speeds dropped by 25%-50% again. System restore and quick beamforming disable and I seem to be getting like 80% of max speed

no idea what to put here

6 minutes ago, Eeglis said:

Ok, I should add, that I live in a fairly sparcely populated and don't have babies or too much of 2.4GHz gear. Disabling beamforming helped quite a bit, until today when speeds dropped by 25%-50% again. System restore and quick beamforming disable and I seem to be getting like 80% of max speed

2.4 Ghz is built for distance and penetration and not for speed. If you need speed then 5 Ghz is your best hope. Also if you need reliability then your barking up the wrong tree, reliability means Ethernet. Thats really the only way to guarantee speeds. 

Though one thing to check, how hot is your router? My old one used to get toasted, especially after installing DDWRT on it. I found cooling it with a laptop cooler made a difference. But then again, you really cant force 2.4 Ghz or any WiFi band to work. Its more like it works or it doesnt and it can work one and and not work the next. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

15 hours ago, Donut417 said:

2.4 Ghz is built for distance and penetration and not for speed. If you need speed then 5 Ghz is your best hope. Also if you need reliability then your barking up the wrong tree, reliability means Ethernet. Thats really the only way to guarantee speeds. 

Though one thing to check, how hot is your router? My old one used to get toasted, especially after installing DDWRT on it. I found cooling it with a laptop cooler made a difference. But then again, you really cant force 2.4 Ghz or any WiFi band to work. Its more like it works or it doesnt and it can work one and and not work the next. 

I'm aware that 2.4GHz is built for range and penetration. Sadly some of my devices support only 2.4GHz. I use the 5GHz everywhere I can. And my main PC is wired with no issues, but cheaper phones that are being used in the house do not support 5GHz nor is ethernet that practical for phones. I'm just slightly on the edge if theres somethig wrong with the router or not.

Interestingly enough disabling beamforming seems to have helped a lot. But as soon as I added a quest network, the DL and UP speeds to the internet dropped again.

Not the link strenght which was still like 200Mbps

I did notice the modem router getting quite hot at 60C.

This post might be a mess as I'm typing this from a phone and can see like only half of my post at once.

no idea what to put here