Could this be ultimate passive cooler?

JovanD

I've noticed high performance passive coolers kinda wen't out of fashion and even the best of the old behemoths could only handle about 90W of heat.

But it seems like high performance passive coolers are alive and well just not in PC market, but in LED flashlight market...

For example look at this 300W TDP 3.6Kg 26cm behemoth https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/low-temperature-hi-bay-led-heatsink_60702691471.html?spm=a2700.7724857.normalList.42.4a7e5d17cbE8r1

I don't imagine it would be too hard to DIY mount it on CPU if motherboard is in horizontal case, it would also help with convection cooling effect.

What do you guys think?

Yeah...but WHY?
If the cost was around 10 $ it might have been an option but at that price, it's not even worth the time to make it work.

6 minutes ago, Settlerteo said:

Yeah...but WHY?
If the cost was around 10 $ it might have been an option but at that price, it's not even worth the time to make it work.

If some one was making an uber-gaming fully fanless 0db pc and wanted to passive cool a 2080ti what other option would there be?

Maybe it's just me, but i kinda like the cool factor of having big aluminum chungus in the room.

Also seems like there are 500W capable ones out there that are 35cm, dunno the price tho.

I feel like something like a Noctua NHD15 with it's fans removed would probably do you better. Or look at  say Paul Hardware's video on passively cooling a Ryzen 7, or google passive cpu coolers there's some out there... I remember seeing something like a Thermalright Macho Zero a while back?

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

you could strap it to the new raspberry pi 4 since it seems to need it :D

but jokes aside passive cooling aint a thing. if by passive you mean no fans then that only means you rely on the air flow aournd the room to be enough. its still air flow. so if you close all windows and doors and dont move for an hour there will be no airflow and the air pocket around the system will heat soak as fuck only helped by hot air rising to move air through the case. idk man. maybe if you dont use a case at all and wall mount it somewhere with enough natural airflow ligh maybe a hallway but other than that i would still prefer a fan. 

also one could also just make a literal wall of raditators as a room divider or something and then maybe you could get away with no fan. again relying on naturall flow of air around the room

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

5 hours ago, cluelessgenius said:

one could also just make a literal wall of raditators as a room divider or something 

OMG i would kill to have a wall of extruded aluminium fins, that sounds epic as hell.

1 hour ago, JovanD said:

OMG i would kill to have a wall of extruded aluminium fins, that sounds epic as hell.

sadly also sound like another lease on the house :D 

ohh and at that point like with large aquariums you might have to seriously consider the weight and its impact on the house.

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

That's larger than most motherboards and wouldn't fit unless there were no components higher than the socket on the entire motherboard. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.