The NVIDIA Tesla K40 and Mining

Hello, Last night I got my Bitcoin miner up and running! currently I only have an ASUS GTX 1060 in there but I want to add more (side question, would overclocking the 1060 help in mining?). I was looking at Newegg last night and saw that they are selling refurbished  NVIDIA Tesla 40k's; the cards are used for High-Performance Computing (HPC). I found a document from PNY that talks about its specs and wanted to share with y'all and ask if these server processing GPU's would be good for mining. I kinda wanna get 2 of them and try it out, The return policy is within 30 days so what would be the harm if I got it just to test right? I do want to know what y'all had to say before I got the cards, would it be worth it or should I look else where?

PNY Link: https://www.pny.eu/data/products/brochures/nvidia tesla k40m by pny datasheet.pdf

1 minute ago, Zendrith501 said:

Hello, Last night I got my Bitcoin miner up and running! currently I only have an ASUS GTX 1060 in there but I want to add more (side question, would overclocking the 1060 help in mining?). I was looking at Newegg last night and saw that they are selling refurbished  NVIDIA Tesla 40k's; the cards are used for High-Performance Computing (HPC). I found a document from PNY that talks about its specs and wanted to share with y'all and ask if these server processing GPU's would be good for mining. I kinda wanna get 2 of them and try it out, The return policy is within 30 days so what would be the harm if I got it just to test right? I do want to know what y'all had to say before I got the cards, would it be worth it or should I look else where?

PNY Link: https://www.pny.eu/data/products/brochures/nvidia tesla k40m by pny datasheet.pdf

We passed them up for mining, my brother is the genius and tells me what to mine.  I saw these and popped him a text he replied back he would let me know if I should grab some up and never got back to me.  Means the hash rate wasn't worth or capable, for the coins we mine (to then sell on the BTC exchange market for BTC).

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

You're like, 10 years late to the mining game....

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

13 minutes ago, Enderman said:

You're like, 10 years late to the mining game....

I mine in my PC.

It's an easy 25$ a month with 20$ in electricity costs.

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

Just now, NunoLava1998 said:

I mine in my PC.

It's an easy 25$ a month with 20$ in electricity costs.

So $5 a month of a depreciating currency not including the resale value losses from slowly killing your computer?

Sounds great.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

So $5 a month of a depreciating currency not including the resale value losses from slowly killing your computer?

Sounds great.

I know right?

(i don't pay the electric that's why I mine, and I have good airflow)

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

On 6/29/2019 at 4:05 PM, Zendrith501 said:

Don't do it.  Let me repeat, doen't do it.  HPC and crypto mining differ in *essential* ways.

1) HPC makes heavy use of large bytes.  Many scientific problems require processing large numbers.  Programming languages typically divide large numbers into 64 bit bytes.  Manufacturers build HPC gpus to accommodate this type of programming.  Look at the specs for a k40.  HPC needs high double-precision GFLOPs.  The k40 gets 1.4 - 1.7 TFLOPs double precision, which is awesome for scientific computing.  It hits 5 TFLOPs single precision. 

Crypto miners write their algorithms to take advantage of gaming GPUs.  Gaming algorithms typically do a lot of small computations.  This means high single precision processing is all they need.  Look at the specs for the Radeon RX 580: upto 6 TFLOPs single precision, 0.39 TFLOPs double precision.   Nice gaming specs, lousy HPC specs.  It has better crypto mining specs than the k40.

2) NVIDIA manufactures its Tesla cards specifically for servers & supercomputers.  They really could care less if it doesn't work on the majority of motherboards.  The servers & supercomputers have motherboards with large bus sizes and other stuff great for HPC but irrelevant in most other situations.  You'll probably have to find a motherboard manufactured in 2013 to get the k40s to work.  This is awesome for poor academics like myself.  I bought a rig for a bit over $200 that cost $10k in 2012.  But it doesn't run Crysis. It's crap for crypto mining.

3) Crypto mining gear isn't built for HPC.  You'll have to spend a ton of money and time trying to find components for HPC gear that you could get quick and easy otherwise.

4) k40s were not built to stay cool.  Big companies and universities can through money at the problem and don't care about noise.  It will be a hell of a challenge to keep from bricking those k40s in no time flat.

You'll probably need a Ph.d. in number theory to do this if you want to write your own crypto algorithms that take advantage of HPC gear.  A really good programmer and mathematician could take advantage of big numbers to create much better crypto mining algorithms.  But that's a hell of a lot of work.  If you want to do that, you might as well contact Russian crypto miners and get paid a ton to write custom crypto breaking algorithms.

I hope this helps.  Don't let anyone discourage you from crypto mining if that's what you want to do.  Invest in cheap cards.  Buy/make renewable energy sources to power your rigs- wind, solar, thermal.  Good luck.