Can TN Panels get burn in?

DSOThorn1121

I have an Acer Predator Gsync XB241H monitor, and I noticed within the last month of use, a white line on top where the searchbar meets the navigition and title bar in most apps, theres a transparent brighter line that goes across. My background is a mountain range and a river, and theres also a brighter transparent line that's in the shape of the river. I thought only plasma TVs and OLED panels got burn in, but can TN panels get them too? Is that even burn in Anything I can do to fix this? Any help would be appreciated.

. image.png.6c42b9a7fe3fa15e33a4af3160f1d052.png

LCDs can still get burn in, but you'd have to have something static on screen for a long time for it to actually become a problem.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Burn in apply in all kind of display, from CRT, to Super Amoled

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

2 minutes ago, flibberdipper said:

LCDs can still get burn in, but you'd have to have something static on screen for a long time for it to actually become a problem.

Interesting. my monitor usually goes to sleep after like an hour of inactivity. My other monitor, which is a 60Hz HP monitor doesnt have burn in, and ive had that one for around 6-7 years. Are 144hz monitors more sensitive to it?

11 minutes ago, DSOThorn1121 said:

Interesting. my monitor usually goes to sleep after like an hour of inactivity. My other monitor, which is a 60Hz HP monitor doesnt have burn in, and ive had that one for around 6-7 years. Are 144hz monitors more sensitive to it?

Doubt it.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Yes this can happen on TN panels, I literally have some with the exact same lines from where the browser's address bar ends. You can somewhat fix/combat this particular kind of 'stuck' behavoir with a white screen as a screensaver/lock screen. However once you get the line you can never really get rid of it permanently, the white screen will help loosen up those pixels but they can return pretty easily to the stuck state.

Its not real 'burn in'. Though the affect is easily misdiagnosed.

When a LCD monitor displays such affects it is almost always a fault within the monitor, sometimes fixed with a firmware update, other times requiring board or panel replacement.

Short answer is , its not burn in. LCD display cant 'burn in', they simply dont produce enough heat and consume enough power to damage the themselves in that way.

Neither do they rely on organic substances that can degrade rapidly like OLED causing the so called' burn in' they suffer from. Again though even OLED technically dont burn in, they if anything 'burn out' as the pixel, or rather sub pixels ,organic nature wears out over time reducing their ability to accurately produce color. They dont actually damage the panel.

Plasma and CRT 'burn in' however did, you could turn a screen off entirly and see the burn in on the screen still, as it was damage to the screen from the high temperature high energy nature of those displays.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

25 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

Its not real 'burn in'. Though the affect is easily misdiagnosed.

When a LCD monitor displays such affects it is almost always a fault within the monitor, sometimes fixed with a firmware update, other times requiring board or panel replacement.

Short answer is , its not burn in. LCD display cant 'burn in', they simply dont produce enough heat and consume enough power to damage the themselves in that way.

Neither do they rely on organic substances that can degrade rapidly like OLED causing the so called' burn in' they suffer from. Again though even OLED technically dont burn in, they if anything 'burn out' as the pixel, or rather sub pixels ,organic nature wears out over time reducing their ability to accurately produce color. They dont actually damage the panel.

Plasma and CRT 'burn in' however did, you could turn a screen off entirly and see the burn in on the screen still, as it was damage to the screen from the high temperature high energy nature of those displays.

Thanks for the info man. That's great to know. So you think if a firmware update doesn't fix it, I might need to change the panel?

1 minute ago, DSOThorn1121 said:

Thanks for the info man. That's great to know. So you think if a firmware update doesn't fix it, I might need to change the panel?

Indeed.

Check with the retailer and/or manufacture see if ur covered still, just dont mention the phrase 'burn in' otherwise they will use that as an excuse to wipe their hands of any responsibility. And if they try to call it burn it, call them out on it, because a LCD cant 'burn in'.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Will do. Not sure if I still do since this monitor is around 3 years old now but I'll try. Its not super noticeable so its not a terrible issue but doesn't hurt to check. Really appreciate it man!

• 7 months later...

I have exactly the same issue on my 4 year old TN screen. Right where the internet browser menu ends. Did you end up finding a solution for this?