Sketchy GTX 1080

Marko Bre

I found used GTX 1080, more precise Gigabyte G1 GTX 1080 for 260USD, so guy claims that only fans don't work, and that everything else works without problem. Now that's realy cheap compared to same, fully operational for 340USD.

What do you think could also be a problem?  I spent 10h trying to find if that graphics card had some fab  or any other problem, but most of the problems I found were with drivers or other software problems.

What should I look and ask for when I am buying it?(If you had some expirience where seller tricked you or something idk)

Because in US that may look like free graphics card, but here, we have average salary of 350USD, so now you see that it ain't cheap compared to salary and I don't want to spend that amount of money and it dies a week later.

If you meet the guy. Of course you want to see it in action. Also ask if he flashed a new bios to it.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

GPUs at idle wont spin the fans up until after a temp threshold, usually 50-60c and at idle it usually stays under 50c. Verify the card works and do a GPUz on it to check it out and make sure its legit. You can always get an aftermarket cooler for it. Chances are, they likely cleaned it and re-pasted it and broke the fan header or something if I had to guess. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

26 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

If you meet the guy. Of course you want to see it in action. Also ask if he flashed a new bios to it.

19 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

GPUs at idle wont spin the fans up until after a temp threshold, usually 50-60c and at idle it usually stays under 50c. Verify the card works and do a GPUz on it to check it out and make sure its legit. You can always get an aftermarket cooler for it. Chances are, they likely cleaned it and re-pasted it and broke the fan header or something if I had to guess. 

Yeah I wanted to order new fans but I see one little problem. How do I test/benchmark it(Furmark or Firestrike) if fans don't work? It will throttle, and you know that some graphics card can get malfunctioning power delivery over time, so when you have higher power usage, it shuts down, should that be my concern?

If the broken fans can be removed from the heatsink then I would suggest taking along a couple of small working fans of your own (like even case fans powered from the motherboard headers) and some zip ties. Attach the working fans and try stressing the card with some kind of benchmark.

If temps and performance are as expected then it likely is just the fans that are the problem.

Obviously let the guy know beforehand that this is what you will be turning up to do, and that you need to do it to verify that everything else on it works.

Seems like this would do the trick unless I'm missing something?

4 minutes ago, DezGalbie said:

If the broken fans can be removed from the heatsink then I would suggest taking along a couple of small working fans of your own (like even case fans powered from the motherboard headers) and some zip ties. Attach the working fans and try stressing the card with some kind of benchmark.

If temps and performance are as expected then it likely is just the fans that are the problem.

Obviously let the guy know beforehand that this is what you will be turning up to do, and that you need to do it to verify that everything else on it works.

Seems like this would do the trick unless I'm missing something?

You are totally right, if he agrees with that. Thanks ?