Fully Explorable Middle-Earth Modeled In Outerra Game Engine

virus464

http://www.nerdist.com/2014/01/fully-explorable-middle-earth-modeled-in-outerra-game-engine/

part of the article:

A couple of Reddit commenters actually discussed the possibility of exploring the Middle-Earth environment using the Oculus Rift and the Virtuix Omni. Imagine being able to actually walk from Shire to Mordor on your own two feet. Outerra does support the Oculus Rift, and I can only assume the Virtuix Omni will be soon to follow, so whenever it becomes available for retail, taking the journey on foot will be 100% possible. Tell me that doesn’t send a Frozen North chill down your spine.

a comment below:

Mordjinn on

January 24, 2014 at 2:10 pm

said:

One does not simply walk into Mordor!

my comment:

well, stuff we waited for, had to post here.

Dude that looks sooooo cool. The future is here gentlemen, even though it is set thousands of years in the past in another dimension lol. Great post  :D

[CPU: 4670k] [CPU Cooler: Antec Kühler 1220] [Case: Obsidian 350D] [Mobo: Maximus VI Gene] [RAM: Vengeance Pro 8GB] [GPU: 770 DirectCU II] [PSU: CX750M

[Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 120GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB] [Screen: Dell U2312HM 23" E-IPS] [Keyboard: Steelseries Apex RAW]

I don't care about LOTR at all. mmh

What was the point of your comment then? Just to get a +1 to posts? Well done...

Anyway back on topic, this sounds sweet. I don't have an Oculus yet, but maybe I'll get one once they go retail and are a bit more affordable. In any case, I would love to check out Middle Earth, Oculus or not!

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Might pick up an oculus and an omni just to explore Middle Earth and Westeros  :D Dont care for games on it ATM to be honest  :P

THIS IS SOOOOO COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! if this comes out im soo buying it but what they need to do is add story mode and a free play mode so if you've read the books or seen the movie (like me :D ) then you can play the story

[NEW System] (CPU) i7-4790k (mobo) ASUS maximins V (GPU) AMD R9 380x (CPU cooling) Corsair h100 (PSU) EVGA 800w (Monitor's) LG 32" ultrawide @ 75hz and a Asus 27" IPS logitech g602 mouse

[OLD System] (CPU) amd athlon x4 760k@ 4.4ghz/ (mobo) MSI FM2-A55M-E33/ (GPU) Gigabyte windforce 7870 / (CPU cooling) Corsair h100/ (PSU) Corsair CX 430w/ (monitor) dell 1980x1080@60hz 21"/ a logitech keyboard and mouse. Phone: Samsung S5  Galaxy s10e .

OLD Laptop: Dell Latitude E6410 with i5 520m and Nvidia NVS 310

Laptop's: Dell precision m2800 i7 4610m with amd firepro w4170m

other laptop Asus.

What was the point of this post?

To cause conversation by saying something useless. It worked!

If I could walk around Middle Earth with Oculus, I would buy one. Immediately. And all the other things you need. Then I might never come out...

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

AWSOME. thats all.

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

To cause conversation by saying something useless. It worked!

If I could walk around Middle Earth with Oculus, I would buy one. Immediately. And all the other things you need. Then I might never come out...

Same, I'd never leave

i5-3570k, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 1155 Z77, Patriot 8GB  (2*4GB), ASUS R9 290, Coolermaster HAF, OCZ 120 GB SSD + WD 1 TB HDD, Corsair CX750M, Samsung 22" + HP 23", CM Hyper 212 EVO, Ducky Shine 3 (Cherry MX Blue), Razer Naga 2014

I don't care about LOTR at all. mmh

Everytime I see you post a part of me loses faith in humanity.

What about Westeros?

uuhh I totally forgot WHAT ABOUT BRITANNIA? Can someone please put UO into a modern Game Engine?

Check Winter is Coming a Mod of Ice and Fire. The height map is there. Sure its not perfect and its a mod but still something.

As for the actual OP:

THIS IS AWESOME!! Really I pretty much cried when MERP was shut down and this is truly amazing news. Better download it before WB kill it.

I would be all over this... If the graphics were crap. Look at those trees for example. It totally ruins any immersion you might have had.