Linus Sebastian Degree

Rheostat

What degree was Linus Sebastian doing before he dropped out ?

I think I remember him saying Electrical Engineering, but I might be wrong.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

1 hour ago, descendency said:

Is his degree program the biggest thing he's ever dropped? 

No, there's much worse than that.
Expensive stuff that every one of us want.

I'm greatly above potato, but I'm getting there...

Midrange Potato LVL 60:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 with Snowman MT-6 Dual Fans (CPU @ 3.8 GHz - 4.375 GHz to 4.5 GHz @ 1.1V - 1.35V),

MOBO: MSI B550-A Pro
GPU: Asrock RX 5600 XT Phantom Gaming D3 (1820MHz core @930mV)

RAM: TeamGroup T-Force Delta DDR4 Gaming 16GB (2x8GB) 3000MHz 16-17-17-37-58 @ 1.35V,

HARD DRIVE: WD 1TB Blue 
SSD: Toshiba XG5 Series NVMe 512GB (KXG50GVN512G) & Crucial MX500 1TB

CASE: DeepCool Kendomen Titanium case
PSU: Corsair RM-750 (2019) 80+ Gold

Display: Asus VP249QGR via HDMI (144Hz)

Keyboard: Generic PS/2 Keyboard

Mouse: Generic Honeycomb 250Hz Mouse
Speakers: Generic Headset

And yes, there are now fans. 5 Arctic P12 PST's

Userbenchmark Run: 
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/25234338 I don't trust that site anymore

5 hours ago, TheKDub said:

I think I remember him saying Electrical Engineering, but I might be wrong.

Linus does have an interest in hardware, so Electrical Engineering could of been it. 

He probably did not declared major. He flunked calculus twice for playing too much call of duty, then took humanities classes then drop out cuz he found those classes too easy, worthless, or something. 

I kinda agree with linus if those classes are history or arts. They are pure bs and shitty general ed classes most college force you to take to make you "well rounded"

Sudo make me a sandwich 

7 minutes ago, wasab said:

He probably did not declared major. He flunked calculus twice for playing too much call of duty, then took humanities classes then drop out cuz he found those classes too easy, worthless, or something. 

I kinda agree with linus if those classes are history or arts. They are pure bs and shitty general ed classes most college force you to take to make you "well rounded"

on this podcast @LinusTech said he never declared a major.

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

Pretty sure he said he dropped out of college to work.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

20 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Pretty sure he said he dropped out of college to work.

Nah. He replied to a post like this a while ago saying he sees his grade went up for taking those humanities classes even though he play more call of duty than he ever spent on studying so degree must be worthless. 

If he did drop out to work, it must be due to some financial pinch. He did not start Linus tech tips yet and worked at NCIX full time. Two Fs in your freshman years can seriously mess up your GPA, denied you entry into engineering majors, and disqualifies you from financial aid and scholarship. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

27 minutes ago, PacketMan said:

I've suffered so much bullshit on my Computer Science degree, first of all, it's not Computer "Science" but Computer "Engineering" so I have to take a lot of Engineering classes (no need to mention that not everyone can pass these kind of classes without a good professor, or at least someone that solves doubts), and because it's truly Computer "Science", we do have to take a lot of subjects related to CS

I could have got a few certificates on programming and networking with all these years not well spent (plus the money), and I could have been working for a while now, but here we are. Complete BS is a very weak description IMHO...

Computer engineering are more electrical engineering than CS. 

I found most of my major CS classes to be useful. 75% of the technical interview questions are based off materials from two common CS courses: alogrithm and data structures 

while the rest comes from design patterns and programming language trivia.

Courses like database, computer networking, sys admin, and cloud computing aka full stack development prepare students for the real world. Courses like system architecture and operating system gives you an intimate familiarity with low level stuffs behind the scenes which most employers would appreciate. Theoretical courses like data science, ai, and machine learning are a must if you plan to enter certain fields and industry. 

It's just the general ed classes I disagree with. One my class is called natural disater which for all intents and purposes, is your stereotypical basket weaving courses. I spent an entire semester learning about historical earthquakes and tsunamis. It was interesting and the class was an easy A GPA booster but teaches nothing that's meaningful. 

Sudo make me a sandwich