Is it possible to use a Surface Pro as a Wacom Cintiq?

IrvingF

So I got a surface pro(forgot which generation tho) and a desktop with much better hardware. Sometimes photoshop will crash on my surface while I am drawing which is quite frustrating so I am thinking if I can use my surface like a Cintiq? I know you can use some kind of remote desktop software or the second screen feature that comes with Windows but those are not desirable because I am still using my surface's hardware. Ideally I would like to use surface just as an pen input and a display, and my desktop will handle all the rendering and processing.

Is this even possible? Cintiq are quite expensive and I am not sure if I want to spend that much money now on this.

Thanks in advance!

3 minutes ago, IrvingF said:

You could remote desktop into the main PC, but then you have to deal with some kind of delay, should be minimal if you use a wired connection.

Not sure it's possible to just turn it into a secondary display though.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

You could remote desktop into the main PC, but then you have to deal with some kind of delay, should be minimal if you use a wired connection.

Not sure it's possible to just turn it into a secondary display though.

I am not really familiar with remote desktop and stuff but I guess by doing so I will still be running software on my surface's hardware right? For now I am thinking if it's possible to use my desktop's hardware to run photoshop and surface just as an input and a display. 

2 minutes ago, IrvingF said:

Remote Desktop would let your tablet control your desktop PC

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

Remote Desktop would let your tablet control your desktop PC

Wow ok seems like I got it all wrong. I will try that a bit. Thanks!

4 minutes ago, IrvingF said:

Wow ok seems like I got it all wrong. I will try that a bit. Thanks!

You may be able to do it directly through an Ethernet connection to the PC as well to bypass any lag from a router/switch

https://superuser.com/questions/628553/remote-desktop-through-lan-cable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJja8dY2Hmo

There's also this

Spoiler

11 hours ago, Streetguru said:

There's also this

Thanks, didn't know this was a thing. Do you know over what type of communication it works? Does it have to be on the same network?

• 7 months later...

Surface Pro Can be used as a standalone drawing tablet , no need to connect to a laptop / pc .

Surface Pro will never be as great as the best drawing tablet monitor devices, but it will be good and way more portable. The latency is low so it feels quite natural.

I'm a graphics professional using Photoshop, Clip Studio, Daz Studio 3D, Indesign, Zbrush and Illustrator and I use it everyday. It has transformed my workflow even though I used to be a die-hard Mac and XP-Pen Artist 12 Pro display drawing tablet user, but this device has freed me up immensely. Being able to work in the front room on the same device that I have on my desk at my job is sooooo liberating.

• 1 year later...
On 2/13/2020 at 8:00 AM, liudao said:

Surface Pro Can be used as a standalone drawing tablet , no need to connect to a laptop / pc .

Surface Pro will never be as great as the best drawing tablet monitor devices, but it will be good and way more portable. The latency is low so it feels quite natural.

I'm a graphics professional using Photoshop, Clip Studio, Daz Studio 3D, Indesign, Zbrush and Illustrator and I use it everyday. It has transformed my workflow even though I used to be a die-hard Mac and XP-Pen Artist 12 Pro display drawing tablet user, but this device has freed me up immensely. Being able to work in the front room on the same device that I have on my desk at my job is sooooo liberating.

Hi

whats the best drawing tablet and what version of surface pro are you using. I like Corel painter would like to use a tablet for that. Thanks.