Home Theatre With Active speakers

Hi everyone,

I've received a whole set of super expensive Active Loudspeakers for basically free. 

They take simple red & white cinch plugs and work great as a surround setup with my PC. (3.5mm to cinch) on my sound card.

However I'd love to use them with my other consoles, apple tv etc. So what I need is the equivalent of a PC sound card but in the form of an AV receiver.

But all I could find were very few amps that have pre-outs in addition to the normal amplified outputs. And they're VERY expensive.

I don't need an amplifier, only a single HDMI in and out with a few 3.5mm, 6.3mm or cinch outputs.

Selling or trading them for passive ones is no option. (Too bulky and resell value wouldn't be enough to buy equivalents)

Any ideas?

2 hours ago, Fischus said:

I've received a whole set of super expensive Active Loudspeakers for basically free. 

<snip>

Selling or trading them for passive ones is no option. (Too bulky and resell value wouldn't be enough to buy equivalents)

Were they, perchance, being sold by a slightly dodgy looking gentleman in a white van?

Otherwise, make and model, and we'll see what we can do. What you're looking for is generally known as a decoder, and as you've found, they're much rarer than a traditional receiver and annoyingly more expensive.

Bang & Olufsen Beolab 1, 4000, 6000, and 7-2

Got them as a gift from a friend when I helped to clear out his late mother's house. Which is up for sale by now. Their family loves this brand which is also kinda the reason I can't sell them.

7-2 works using a special adapter from powerlink to minijack (it's the only one that has only the proprietery socket)

I have a denon AVR 4602 (I think that's the model - numbers in model names are annoying) and it has pre outs that you can use. I would think you could get one for less than $600 or so used, and it's a competent enough receiver.

Actually, here's a processor with what you need (or so it looks) for $700: https://emotiva.com/collections/processors/products/mc-700

Emotiva makes great stuff too, all of their gear utilizes really good build quality.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

3 hours ago, KaminKevCrew said:

I have a denon AVR 4602 (I think that's the model - numbers in model names are annoying) and it has pre outs that you can use. I would think you could get one for less than $600 or so used, and it's a competent enough receiver.

Actually, here's a processor with what you need (or so it looks) for $700: https://emotiva.com/collections/processors/products/mc-700

Emotiva makes great stuff too, all of their gear utilizes really good build quality.

Now THAT's the kind of thing I'm looking for :) great find!

2 hours ago, Fischus said:

Now THAT's the kind of thing I'm looking for :) great find!

Glad I could help! 

I was confused at first when you said "cinch" connectors, as I've never actually heard of them before. Turns out that's a common term in Europe - in the US, we call them RCA connectors!

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

10 hours ago, KaminKevCrew said:

Glad I could help! 

I was confused at first when you said "cinch" connectors, as I've never actually heard of them before. Turns out that's a common term in Europe - in the US, we call them RCA connectors!

Im in the EU, and i've never heard of "cinch" connectors, i thought he meant XLR's at first as they have a locking mechanism, i looked at the emotiva processor but thought it was too expensive for the OP, lol.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

Well if you mean the 5000$ processor, then yes thats um... like above my budget... kinda...

But the 700$ is about what to expect.  Plus they offer it for 100$ less as refurbished.

Just to make sure though, these (let's stick with RCA to prevent further confusion) ports have a variable volume output (not just raw line out) and can be used direcrly on speakers that have no volume control of their own right?

28 minutes ago, Fischus said:

Well if you mean the 5000$ processor, then yes thats um... like above my budget... kinda...

But the 700$ is about what to expect.  Plus they offer it for 100$ less as refurbished.

Just to make sure though, these (let's stick with RCA to prevent further confusion) ports have a variable volume output (not just raw line out) and can be used direcrly on speakers that have no volume control of their own right?

Yes, or at least Emotiva calls the knob on the front a volume knob, so I would assume so. 
(I downloaded and looked at the manual.)

Hey! New SIgnature! 

11 hours ago, KaminKevCrew said:

Yes, or at least Emotiva calls the knob on the front a volume knob, so I would assume so. 
(I downloaded and looked at the manual.)

Great, Thanks a lot!