Gradual Upgrades on the old dinosaur of a PC... suggestions

Starting components.

Motherboard,gigabyte Z68AP-D3. CPU, intel i5-2500k. GPU, GeForce 960 windforce.RAM 16gb, 4 sticks. OS, windows 10 pro. Monitor, Alienware 2518 240hz

Backstory: I play fortnite, and im poor. My current machine is doo doo. I usually get from 50-140 fps. My gpu runs at like 60% on the lowest graphics, but my cpu is maxed regularly (with the view distance set at far and not epic) I'm looking to gradually upgrade piece by piece. I was playing on a 4k tv, so i bought a really nice alienware 2518 240hz a while back, huge difference, it took me from 30-60fps to like 50-140(cpu maxes out a lot, but its still sooooo much better). Now I'm looking to upgrade the next component. I would like the components that im buying to last a while. 

Budget: 
Up to like $300 right now, it all depends on what it will accomplish

Aim: 
im looking to eventually build a 240fps @1080 fortnite machine.

Monitors:
I'm only running a single alienware 2518hf

Why am I upgrading:
Performance upgrade so I can murder more 12 year olds on fortnite. I'm just not sure what I should upgrade next, I assume its the cpu/mobo. What should I get? I'm totally lost when it come to compnents now adays. Should I get an 8th gen i7? I have no idea?!?

slightly over budget, but it’s all upgradeable down the line. Later on, slap a decent gpu maybe an RTX 2060 or something in it, slap 8 more gbs of ram in it, then maybe you wanna put a Ryzen 7 2700x in it... 

I’d pull the 960 off your old rig and put it in this until you can afford a new gpu.

I got a ps5 and a pc pretty ballin

How is that CPU being bottlenecked? I'm running an i5-3570 and an RX480 that I've overclocked to run like an RX580, and I have not found any signs of bottlenecking so I'm not sure how a GTX 960 is being bottlenecked by an i5 2500K

23 minutes ago, Sat1600 said:

Is your cpu overclocked? It should not be bottlenecking a 960

im not sure, it runs at 3400

10 minutes ago, richardwrinkle said:

im not sure, it runs at 3400

Even at stock it should not be bottlenecking. What are you using to check gpu usage?

14 hours ago, Sat1600 said:

Even at stock it should not be bottlenecking. What are you using to check gpu usage?

14 hours ago, Sat1600 said:

I wonder if your cpu cooler or thermal paste is failing and the CPU is thermal throttling. Check your cpu temps

My cpu runs at 52-55c pretty consistently in game. my gpu runs at 62c. I'm using MSI afterburner to check my usage levels. 

7 hours ago, Sat1600 said:

What is your gpu usage on epic settings

if I turn the settings up the card maxes pretty quick

I would save an extra hundred, and upgrade the bones in the system.

On 07/07 Zen 2 will drop and beat out at least the i5 series for a great price:

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $199.00
Motherboard Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard $129.99 @ Amazon
Memory V-Color - SKYWALKER 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $68.99 @ Amazon
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $397.98
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-21 05:32 EDT-0400  

The X470 board would work fine, or you could grab a B550 series when they launch (same day).

Hard to argue with 3000mhz DDR4 at 15cl for that price.

7 hours ago, richardwrinkle said:

if I turn the settings up the card maxes pretty quick

That means that your cpu is not bottlenecking. Not sure why you are getting frame drops on lower settings. You will need a new GPU either way. Look for a used GTX 1070 or a 1660ti. You can always move that to a new system in the future.

My ram is only pc1333, I wonder if that is the issue. MSI says im only using about 8-9gb to run FN. I'm thinking about going with something like star_pilot475 suggested. But I may wait for the next ryzen gen to come out. 

On 6/19/2019 at 10:26 PM, star_pilot475 said:

slightly over budget, but it’s all upgradeable down the line. Later on, slap a decent gpu maybe an RTX 2060 or something in it, slap 8 more gbs of ram in it, then maybe you wanna put a Ryzen 7 2700x in it... 

I’d pull the 960 off your old rig and put it in this until you can afford a new gpu.

Thank you for the suggestions. I've found a similiar mobo that has 2 pci-e16x slots and 4 ram slots instead of 1 and 2. Just incase I want to add more ram or a second video card some day. and right now its only another $10

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3YhKHx/msi-b450-gaming-plus-atx-am4-motherboard-b450-gaming-plus

I'm probably going to get that new $200 ryzen 5 3600 thats coming out 4.2ghz, am4 socket

Looking at it though wouldn't I need a lot bigger power supply than 450watts?? like 700 or something.

1 minute ago, richardwrinkle said:

My ram is only pc1333, I wonder if that is the issue. MSI says im only using about 8-9gb to run FN. I'm thinking about going with something like star_pilot475 suggested. But I may wait for the next ryzen gen to come out. 

With DDR3 the fastest most reasonably priced MOBOs will support is 1600mhz.

Your system is just getting tired my man. The 2500k is a solid older chip, but it's an easy replace. The GTX 960 is still a decent lower/med settings 1080p GPU, but a heavy upgrade is not too expensive currently.

Save your money, and rebuild. The 960 will hold you off for now, while you bring the rest of the system into the modern age. 

I'll even amend my suggestion above. That MOBO is way overkill for the 3600's TDP.

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $199.00
Motherboard ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $75.61 @ OutletPC
Memory Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $59.99 @ Newegg
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $354.60
  Mail-in rebates -$20.00
  Total $334.60
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-22 21:58 EDT-0400  

24 minutes ago, richardwrinkle said:

Looking at it though wouldn't I need a lot bigger power supply than 450watts?? like 700 or something.

Are you going to overclock? I would never personally grab less that 550W, just because GPUs have a wide range of power draw. You'll likely be fine for now if you can't do a PSU as well though.

psu?

4 hours ago, trevb0t said:

Are you going to overclock? I would never personally grab less that 550W, just because GPUs have a wide range of power draw. You'll likely be fine for now if you can't do a PSU as well though.