Is 2TB of storage enough for video editing?

Guest MarcoTheNoob

Hello, world.

Making my build and planning to start an YouTube channel after I have the required hardware, but I have a question.

Say, if I make 10min long videos, at 1080p, every few weeks, will 2TB of storage be enough?

I will have an 256GB M.2 SSD for the boot drive and 2 500GB 2.5` SSDs for mass storage and games.

The 2TB drive will be used ONLY for the videos.

I dont plan to upgrade anytime soon, thats why I chose 2TB, for the long run.

Also, I will use HitFilm Express, if that matters.

Thanks!

If your gonna buy a hdd, id get a 4 or 8tb one as there not much more.

Video really depends on bitrate? What bitrate are you making.

why all those ssds? Id get one or two larger ssds.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

If your gonna buy a hdd, id get a 4 or 8tb one as there not much more.

Video really depends on bitrate? What bitrate are you making.

why all those ssds? Id get one or two larger ssds.

I arleady had those SSDs, the M.2 one will be a new buy.

Dont know about the bitrate yet, but Im gonan do hard Mandelbrot zooms so quality is a must.

14 minutes ago, MarcoTheNoob said:

2TB of storage be enough

For video?

Nope.

Unless you are going to make 1 video, post it, and then delete it and start fresh.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

For video?

Nope.

Unless you are going to make 1 video, post it, and then delete it and start fresh.

Thats what Im gonna do, but Im gonna keep most files.

And Im gonna save a lot of Mandelbrot sets, those beauties occupy space, but I cant lose them.

7 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

For video?

Nope.

21 minutes ago, MarcoTheNoob said:

10min long videos, at 1080p, every few weeks,

I think he will be ok with 2TB at first, you can always get another bigger drive later. Although, he should get much more if not wanting to upgrade to a bigger drive later. To answer op's question : yes and no. If you are not planing to get another bigger drive later, get at least 4TB.

Edited by noxdeouroboros

If you're buying the M.2, get an Intel 660p 2TB. Sure, its performance degrades as you fill it, but it can be your primary editing drive.

As for your 2TB question, why so small? Enterprise grade Nearline 4TB's are only $100 and you could go bigger for that price in the client space. 

https://www.amazon.com/Inch-Cache-Enterprise-Drive-WD4000FYYZ/dp/B0090UEQ8I

1 hour ago, VegetableStu said:

how are you getting the footage in the first place? are they individual JPGs/PNGs or are they in video (mp4/flv/etc)?

if it's a video, right click > properties and then go to the details tab. is there a field that says bitrate?

the exported videos are much more predictable since you might be in control of export settings, but it's the size of the project you need to be worried about.

Kinda both.

Continuous images in motion.

Yeah, videos.

Basically, you make a program in Unity and record the screen at the same time you render the zoom.

Bitrate must be high, hence the detail in Mandelbrot sets is so extreme it would be a shame not to show it in its full potential.

But, recording and rendering a zoom is a GRUESOME task, one guy did a 1,000,000,000 iteration zoom and it took him 2 MONTHS TO RENDER.

After I make the zooms I delete them and put them in my external HDD.

2 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

which is??

it's been asked in this thread multiple times. i can't give you an estimate without knowing how much space the source video files occupies per minute/second ._.

unless you intend to delete the project and source footage after exporting the video, in which case, judging by the rough 16 megabits per second limit youtube/vimeo streams to users, you'd only have about 1,600 10-minute video files you can squeeze into a 2TB disk.

Sorry...

***15,000 kbps.

A 4TB HDD is 40€ more...

(yes I edited it)

12 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

6 megabits? that's waaay much more you can store then ._.

although just to sanity check: do they already look right to you when you play it back? if it doesn't look right (motion compression artifacting) you might need to look into increasing the bitrate of the unity recorder you're using.

for your case, I doubt you'd have unused "footage" you'd want to keep, since it's more or less piecing together mandelbrot zooms and nothing else?

Maybe do your first one and see how big the end result project folder is. then roughly use that size to divide by 2TB.

if the project files are occupying waay too much space too quickly, then remember to consider if you need the original files before you delete.

as for the rough estimate again: if you output your files at the same bitrate as your original videos (or maybe 8 mbps just in case) and not keep your project and source files, you should be able to have 3300 10-min videos in a 2TB volume 

(also small note that any OS won't see a nice 2TB or whatever the manufacturer says it has, because both sides count differently. just go with what your OS says when you plug it in)

15 megabits.

And yeah, they look good with the program I made. 

Attached some sets I made. :)

7.png

20.png

19.png

9.png

26.png

21.png