iPwn'd - Cellebrite reports that it can access any iPhone ever made

rcmaehl
Just now, mr moose said:

yep, selling non working hardware to law enforcement is a smart way to impress investors, but a dumb way to ensure your lucrative contract is terminated early with harsh penalties.

I’m pretty sure this stuff has only been used once or twice. Keep in mind realistically the FBI (or whatnot) just has to call up Apple, and if they get access, then there’s not much point for this device at all. Not exactly a secure business.

2 minutes ago, floofer said:

I’m pretty sure this stuff has only been used once or twice. Keep in mind realistically the FBI (or whatnot) just has to call up Apple, and if they get access, then there’s not much point for this device at all. Not exactly a secure business.

Maybe you should search up cellebrite.  They've been around since 2009 and currently contract to Israeli law enforcement agencies.   They aren't some new kid on the block trying to get a startup of the ground.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

Maybe you should search up cellebrite.  They've been around since 2009 and currently contract to Israeli law enforcement agencies.   They aren't some new kid on the block trying to get a startup of the ground.  

I know they’ve been around for quite a while. Heart about them in 2010, notably when the iCloud lock came about. Did write that bit - very tiring day so apologies.

12 hours ago, floofer said:

Apple can only help the FBI (and other law enforcement) under very specific circumstances. They can usually get you into an iCloud account. But Apple can't unlock a fully locked iPhone. There are no known backdoors (Apple claims none exist, and they definitely don't share any with the FBI).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

$20 says their hack is only downloading all of the encrypted data off an iPhone and then you still need to find the decryption key to actually use any of it.  "Oh see we recovered the data...it's totally unusable but it's recovered!"

And in any case it'll be blocked by an update from Apple shortly.

EDIT: 

"From what we heard, it is about 10 to 30 passcodes per second in AFU (After First Unlock) mode, and just one passcode in 10 minutes in BFU (Before First Unlock)."

Meh they're just brute-force guessing.  Who gives a shit, my phone passcode is 10 digits.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)