need a 4K display for two MacBooks one with usbc

Armed with  the list from this great thread below as a starting point, I'm trying to find a 4k monitor which has some specific requirements. It's been a long time since I found researching a product so exhausting and time consuming. Getting good information about specs from the online stores is hard; they are very inconsistent how or if they present this information.

I've got two Macs in daily use. One is my programming machine, supplied by work. It's a 2017 15" MacBook Pro (i.e. thunderbolt 3, shitty keyboard). The second machine is my music production computer. It's a 2013 15" MBP, and I love it. It basically functions as a desktop nowadays, connected to all my music equipment and an ageing second monitor. I want to connect both it and the programming computer to a new display, because I've found that increasingly when I use the 2017 MacBook at home (I work a fair bit from home), I'm setting it up on my desk so I can plug an external keyboard into it (the old school Apple wired full sized keyboard, which IMHO is the best keyboard ever made). I would also like this monitor to delivery power to the newer Mac, because that's massively convenient to wrangling an additional power brick and cables. At work I've already got a similar setup.

What I need out of my monitor:

1. UHD/4k resolution.
  2. Size: 28" to 32"
  3. Bright (I work in a room that's glass on two sides, heaps of natural light in the daytime)
  4. Don't care about gaming features, this will be connected to Macs ;)  ... 60Hz refresh is fine.
  5. USB-C and Display Port inputs (or Thunderbolt 3 + DP/Thunderbolt2)
  6. Preferable to auto switch between the two based on signal detection
  7. Enough power delivery over the USB-C to power the 2017 MBP 15"

A USB hub would be a 'nice to have' to connect the wired keyboard permanently but its one feature I'm willing to sacrifice.

The BenQ EW3270U nearly fit the bill but I've since found out there's no power delivery down the USB-C.

thank you for any suggestions.

EDIT: PC Parts picker doesn't list USB-C or Thunderbolt 3 as input options so I can't search there.

You could also consider getting a Thunderbolt 3 dock, where you can connect the display (either over DP or HDMI), USB accessories, Ethernet and other stuff.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

11 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

You could also consider getting a Thunderbolt 3 dock, where you can connect the display (either over DP or HDMI), USB accessories, Ethernet and other stuff.

Hello yes, I am rapidly reaching the same conclusion.

It's easy to find a reasonable quality 4k display with HDMI/DP inputs cheap enough that the additional money for a  dock isn't a big deal (and it has other uses of course).

The online stores haven't apparently caught up to the fact that people might be interested in USB-C or Thunderbolt 3 as a first class search term. Finding out that you can't search for it even on PC Parts Picker tho is a real head-desk moment (oh, but hey, I can look for a  monitor with a BNC analogue video input --- there's exactly one with a price ?).

• 4 weeks later...

I am resurrecting this thread just to complete it in case anyone ever comes across it in a search. I found my monitor. 

Its that LG 43” monster: the LG 43UD79-B.  Turns out it’s the cheapest 4K monitor you can buy (currently) that’s got a power delivery USB-C connection, and display port and HDMI. It cost me $799 AUD which is decent for a monitor with all those features. Even LGs lesser (smaller) models with USBC or thunderbolt cost way more, even for ones with similar panels and specs to only DisplayPort/HDMI connections. 

7 hours ago, scotartt said:

I am resurrecting this thread just to complete it in case anyone ever comes across it in a search. I found my monitor. 

Its that LG 43” monster: the LG 43UD79-B.  Turns out it’s the cheapest 4K monitor you can buy (currently) that’s got a power delivery USB-C connection, and display port and HDMI. It cost me $799 AUD which is decent for a monitor with all those features. Even LGs lesser (smaller) models with USBC or thunderbolt cost way more, even for ones with similar panels and specs to only DisplayPort/HDMI connections. 

The power delivery of USB-C on this monitor is only 5v 1.5a. Maybe PE320QK is a better choice, which offer 85w power.

Yeah that’s true I’ve discovered. It’s enough to keep the Mac from draining its battery, until I run something cpu intensive. On the hand, it’s GIGANTIC, and cheap, and I can use those inputs.  It is amazing to look at, and I have the desk space to accomodate it — my work desk is an old kitchen table so it’s got plenty of depth.