How can this phone last 16 days??

James

Why don’t all our phones have e-ink displays? It’s easy on the eyes, it’s more power efficient… what’s the catch? The Kingrow K1 phone with an e-paper display shows us the good and the bad…

Buy e-ink displays on Amazon: https://geni.us/O8KPa

@technology connections

No but fr this is awesome lol. E-paper is the best.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

This one runs more full android, can even do youtube

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Sounds like a phone for me. If i can get the app for public transport in my city running on it. I don´t use any other apps, i don´t watch videos on my phone. I don´t even text unless i really have to. I use my phone for phone calls mostly. Plus i could read my ebooks on it, wich means i don´t have to carry my phone and my kindle around.

Also i am old enough to be heavily annoyed by the short battery life of modern phones. Old Nokias ftw. (Even with a lot of talking, i only had to charge those like once a week)

If you need lasting battery and about as much features, just buy Energizer Power Max P20. It's a feature phone, but lasts 30 days on one charge. Yes, that's freaking 1 month worth of battery.

e-ink on a smartphone is pointless feature.

It's not cool because it's not functional. Why do you need huge screen for? Monochrome low refresh rate pixelated mess? e-ink has its place on e-book readers and I have an e-ink watch that makes sense. This just doesn't.

e-ink does make sense as second notifications screen like it has already been used, but not for primary one.

3 hours ago, RejZoR said:

If you need lasting battery and about as much features, just buy Energizer Power Max P20. It's a feature phone, but lasts 30 days on one charge. Yes, that's freaking 1 month worth of battery.

e-ink on a smartphone is pointless feature.

This doesn´t run apps at all right? I only need one app tough. But that is used a lot. Public Transport.

1 minute ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

This doesn´t run apps at all right? I only need one app tough. But that is used a lot. Public Transport.

What app are you going to run on a monochrome screen that hardly refreshes itself. It's literally used for ebooks for a reason. Coz it only works really well with that.

Public Transport App. Screen is good enough for that. No need for color or high refresh rates. It´s literally the only app i use.

Before watching the video I went "lol inb4 300$"

Video:

tBen2yNA.png

heck no wtf this is as functional as some 30$ phone

There could be a chance for this device if they would allow installing store apps. Many countries use apps on the smartphones for identification when using bank, for example. Well, 2-factor authentication apps fall into the same category. The camera is needed to scan the qr codes. If they open up the bootloader, I am pretty sure there will be launchers adopted for this type of the screen. I might try having this one as a call-email-messaging-auth phone and having another one for watching videos, taking pictures and doing color stuff.

18 hours ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Oh, come on, it's pretty cool. The only problem is the crappy refresh rate and lacking colors. Mirasol and hybrid LCD/e-ink displays (e.g. pixel Qi) were supposed to fix that, but seem to have failed quite spectacularly. :/

No not really. 

Kindle's have been around for... what... almost a decade now? It's not like this technology is new. There is a REASON why it's not on smartphones. And that reason is for every single downside mentioned.

Refresh rate

Monochrome

Resolution

All three of which are HUGE selling points on phones today. 

Sure, I'd love this on like a super cheap, no frills phone that doesn't have any notable features. But $350? lol nope.

13 hours ago, tridy said:

There could be a chance for this device if they would allow installing store apps. Many countries use apps on the smartphones for identification when using bank, for example. Well, 2-factor authentication apps fall into the same category. The camera is needed to scan the qr codes. If they open up the bootloader, I am pretty sure there will be launchers adopted for this type of the screen. I might try having this one as a call-email-messaging-auth phone and having another one for watching videos, taking pictures and doing color stuff.

One could also build a custom ROM to allow any selection of applications on the system.

On 6/15/2019 at 9:08 PM, SkyHound0202 said:

There's already colored e-ink technology, imagine what they could have done with that.

It was a letdown that they didn't talk about that at all. That is something I'm way more excited about than some stupid all screen or folding phones. If you want my money, get me something with image retention, as I don't play games or watch video on my phone, so 10fps is more than enough.

I would say its perfect for:
a) Public Transport stuff and

b) Hiking, ride a Bike when a lot oft "Static" stuff like a Map is reqiered. When the Map not change there is no power consumed.

c) Security, Ticket Scanning,... where a Device with a non Glossy Display could reqiered.

Beside of that there are some Phones on the Marked who have a "Dual" Display. On the Front a LCD, OLED,... and on the Back a E-Ink.

From AT. :x