Is the upcoming AMD Ryzen CPUs a good choice for starting a virtualized server?

Go to solution Solved by WereCatf,
14 minutes ago, SpockLogical said:

LXD VMs

Linux-containers aren't really VMs; the software inside a container is still running on the same kernel as the host and that means you can only run Linux inside them. They also do not emulate any hardware or present virtual devices to the software running inside them. You did mention a NAS -- that's something that you can't really run inside a container, for example, because Linux-containers aren't allowed to mount any devices; you'd have to mount things outside the container and then give the container a limited access to the mounted resources, in which case it'd become pointless to be running any NAS-software inside it and you'd be better off running it on the host, outside the container, or in a proper VM with the drives passed through to it.

26 minutes ago, SpockLogical said:

Since the ryzen CPUs are going to be normal consumer chips I don't know what to be expecting from them.

When it comes to AMD, there's very little difference between consumer-stuff and enterprise-stuff; it mostly comes down to warranties and support. AMD ain't in the habit of artificially restricting hardware-features in those two different markets, unlike Intel. AMD's consumer-stuff has ECC, for example, just like the enterprise-stuff does. Besides, even Intel's stuff works perfectly fine for servers; you don't necessarily need ECC-support and e.g. AVX-512 isn't particularly useful for most server-stuff, either.

I'm wanting to retire my aging raspbian web server and make room to spin up and learn to administrate LXD VMs while eventually running a NAS and dev server along with maybe having a selection of various OSs running for tinkering/experimenting/testing. Since the ryzen CPUs are going to be normal consumer chips I don't know what to be expecting from them.

14 minutes ago, SpockLogical said:

LXD VMs

Linux-containers aren't really VMs; the software inside a container is still running on the same kernel as the host and that means you can only run Linux inside them. They also do not emulate any hardware or present virtual devices to the software running inside them. You did mention a NAS -- that's something that you can't really run inside a container, for example, because Linux-containers aren't allowed to mount any devices; you'd have to mount things outside the container and then give the container a limited access to the mounted resources, in which case it'd become pointless to be running any NAS-software inside it and you'd be better off running it on the host, outside the container, or in a proper VM with the drives passed through to it.

26 minutes ago, SpockLogical said:

Since the ryzen CPUs are going to be normal consumer chips I don't know what to be expecting from them.

When it comes to AMD, there's very little difference between consumer-stuff and enterprise-stuff; it mostly comes down to warranties and support. AMD ain't in the habit of artificially restricting hardware-features in those two different markets, unlike Intel. AMD's consumer-stuff has ECC, for example, just like the enterprise-stuff does. Besides, even Intel's stuff works perfectly fine for servers; you don't necessarily need ECC-support and e.g. AVX-512 isn't particularly useful for most server-stuff, either.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

@WereCatf, thanks. I guess LXD would be better for containerizing stuff on a web server if I'm doing a lot of proxying between different websites/apps on the same server? Or should I jump to learning Kubernets and building my web server/services on that?

Are there any free/open source VM managers that play well with linux and AMD?

Just now, SpockLogical said:

@WereCatf, thanks. I guess LXD would be better for containerizing stuff on a web server if I'm doing a lot of proxying between different websites/apps on the same server?

There are a lot of different ways of doing things, so I can't really say if it's better or not. I can, however, give an example of how I am using containers: I have one container for Gogs -- a git-server --, two different ones for working on Wordpress - websites, one for all sorts of more random programming - projects, including OpenWRT and stuff, and one for MySQL/OpenHAB/Zoneminder etc. Why? Because it makes it really easy to backup the entire container as-is -- no need to manually specify the files I want to backup or anything -- and I can extremely easily migrate the containers to other computers, if e.g. my server was starting to buckle under the load and I wanted to therefore move some of the stuff to another server. No need to reconfigure anything, no need to install or remove any software -- it all simply comes with the container itself.

8 minutes ago, SpockLogical said:

Are there any free/open source VM managers that play well with linux and AMD?

Depends on what you mean with a VM-manager. There's this virtualization-framework under Linux called libvirt, which uses qemu+kvm in the background, and there is a pretty reasonable GUI for managing libvirt-VMs called virt-manager. I use libvirt myself as well, though I tend to only set up the VM with virt-manager and then manage it from CLI from there on.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.