GX701GX Factory undervolted i7-8750H?

Go to solution Solved by genexis_x,
17 minutes ago, HashBrown123 said:

I increased 0.01v in XTU

Why? You should undervolt it

Usually you cannot undervolt much in Asus laptops...they might have cherry-picked CPUs but I'm not sure

Hi, all

I just joined this forum to discuss this really weird behavior on the laptop that I just bought after watching Linus's review, ASUS ROG GX701GX.

I quickly noticed that the laptop will shutdown by itself in daily tasks for some reason and using HWINFO, I can see that the CPU are operating at 1.144v when doing Cinebench R20(and quickly shutdown after few seconds), which to my knowledge, is not what it should be. I have tried to use Intel XTU to increase the voltage by 0.01v as well as tweaking PL2,PL1 and for now the laptop is quite stable.

So, do you think there is a motherboard fault or it is just Asus undervolt the CPU by factory and the one I received just can not handle that amount of undervolting? Please let me know because I am on the fence of returning this unit. 

Oh by the way, the retail unit I received comes with a Intel 660p, not a PM981 reviewed by Linus or Notebookcheck.

edit: correct some typo I mean 1.14volt not 1.44?

6 minutes ago, HashBrown123 said:

1.44v

this is quite high

increase the voltage by 0.1v

wtf? you should be doing undervolting, not the opposite

do you think there is a motherboard fault or it is just Asus undervolt the CPU by factory

-you might get a bad silicon but that is normal

-I don't see any factory undervolt here

7 minutes ago, HashBrown123 said:

the retail unit I received comes with a Intel 660p, not a PM981 reviewed by Linus or Notebookcheck

manufacturers can change suppliers time to time

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

2 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

this is quite high

wtf? you should be doing undervolting, not the opposite

-you might get a bad silicon but that is normal

-I don't see any factory undervolt here

manufacturers can change suppliers time to time

I mean 1.14v out of the box and I increased 0.01v in XTU. Sorry for the typo

I increased 0.01v in XTU

Usually you cannot undervolt much in Asus laptops...they might have cherry-picked CPUs but I'm not sure

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

19 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Well, as I explained earlier, the laptop will randomly shutdown on its own in out-of-the-box setting. e.g several seconds after CB20, it shuts down by itself, or when openning a program, it shuts down itself. In fact, during the Windows 10 initial set-up, it shuts down itself for three times(Turbo boost engaged and CPU on load I guess).

I found that I have a much more stable system by increase the voltage by 0.01v, that means the CPU operates at 1.154v now and after several 3DMARK and CB20 run, it didn't crush. I am on the fence of returning this unit, since this unit seems to be faster than most reviewer's unit.

it shuts down itself.

could be other issues as well

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

Any suggestions to see where the problem is ? Or do you think I should return it? I have a weekend to test it out tho.

4 minutes ago, HashBrown123 said:

Or do you think I should return it?

I would go for this

Desktop specs:

Spoiler