Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Temperatures increased dramatically (at random)

Over the past 24 hours, I've noticed my load temperatures are well in excess of 20-30c hotter.

I am running a de-lidded 7700k, the IHS has also been replaced with copper, this was done a year ago.

It is under an EVGA CLC 240mm AIO, running at maximum pump RPM and 1200RPM on the fans.

Even when I put it back to stock clocks, my temperatures are still at 75c-80c under load (cinebench), where they used to be 60c-65c less than 48 hours ago.

When applying my regular, day-to-day overclock settings of 4.8GHz on all cores, my temperatures exceed 90c under load, without my coolant being given the chance to warm up.

What caused this change and how do I rectify it?

i7-7700k | GTX 1080 Ti | 32GB 3100MHz | Prime Z270-AR

9 minutes ago, qqqqqq said:

Over the past 24 hours, I've noticed my load temperatures are well in excess of 20-30c hotter.

I am running a de-lidded 7700k, the IHS has also been replaced with copper, this was done a year ago.

It is under an EVGA CLC 240mm AIO, running at maximum pump RPM and 1200RPM on the fans.

Even when I put it back to stock clocks, my temperatures are still at 75c-80c under load (cinebench), where they used to be 60c-65c less than 48 hours ago.

When applying my regular, day-to-day overclock settings of 4.8GHz on all cores, my temperatures exceed 90c under load, without my coolant being given the chance to warm up.

What caused this change and how do I rectify it?

How long have you had the AIO? If you place your hand on the pump, do you feel any vibrations? Does the air coming from the radiator feel warm? Are all your connections secure (for fans, the pump, etc..)?

My initial thought is pump failure.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

8 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

How long have you had the AIO? If you place your hand on the pump, do you feel any vibrations? Does the air coming from the radiator feel warm? Are all your connections secure (for fans, the pump, etc..)?

My initial thought is pump failure.

9 minutes ago, frankyrobin69 said:

Pump could be failing

My pump is running at max RPM and has not ceased to do so, I am monitoring it constantly using EVGA's Flow Control software.

I have now found ou that one CPU core is running 20c hotter than the rest:

All of the rest of my cores are running at perfectly normal temperatures, core #1 just seems to be running insanely hot.

Capture.PNG

3 minutes ago, qqqqqq said:

My pump is running at max RPM and has not ceased to do so, I am monitoring it constantly using EVGA's Flow Control software.

I have now found ou that one CPU core is running 20c hotter than the rest:

All of the rest of my cores are running at perfectly normal temperatures, core #1 just seems to be running insanely hot.

Capture.PNG

While unlikely, the pump could have damage to the impeller, causing it to not move the coolant properly, but still read as spinning on EVGA's software.

If core #1 is under load and the rest are fairly idle, that could cause that big of a gap in temperature.

How's CPU utilization look? Are clock speeds and voltages all the same across all cores?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Just now, TheKDub said:

While unlikely, the pump could have damage to the impeller, causing it to not move the coolant properly, but still read as spinning on EVGA's software.

If core #1 is under load and the rest are fairly idle, that could cause that big of a gap in temperature.

How's CPU utilization look? Are clock speeds and voltages all the same across all cores?

Those temps are under an all-core load (100% across the board) whilst in Cinebench. The pump is most definately working.

Just now, qqqqqq said:

Those temps are under an all-core load (100% across the board) whilst in Cinebench. The pump is most definately working.

How about the voltages for each core, as well as clock speeds? (Intel Core i7 7700K > Voltages > VID#0 - VID#3 for voltages)

5 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

How about the voltages for each core, as well as clock speeds? (Intel Core i7 7700K > Voltages > VID#0 - VID#3 for voltages)

LjNV6Fp.png

All cores are also locked to 4.4GHz.

Looks like a few other people had the same or a very similar issue here: https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/one-core-very-hot-no-matter-what-thoughts.2505905/ and https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/764109-CPU-Core-0-runs-much-hotter-than-the-other-cores

I'd say check your TIM between the copper IHS you added and the CPU die. If that doesn't fix it, you might be out of luck.

13 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

Looks like a few other people had the same or a very similar issue here: https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/one-core-very-hot-no-matter-what-thoughts.2505905/ and https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/764109-CPU-Core-0-runs-much-hotter-than-the-other-cores

I'd say check your TIM between the copper IHS you added and the CPU die. If that doesn't fix it, you might be out of luck.

Contacted the guy who de-lidded for me and asked if he can re-apply the liquid metal. However this is currently not an option for me.
Any other suggestions?

ahhhhh liquid metal is known to run down over time, just re apply it and you should be good as gold

4 minutes ago, qqqqqq said:

Contacted the guy who de-lidded for me and asked if he can re-apply the liquid metal. However this is currently not an option for me.
Any other suggestions?

Not really much else you can do other than try getting liquid metal re-applied.