McDonald's Paper Straws - Yes or No? ( Edit: Mc DonaldsPaper Straws are now officially non-recylable)

pptx

I'm doing a high school speech project, and they wanted us to do a survey, and incorporate statistics. So I thought what better than to add few more extra data points than by adding it online. So it would really be nice if you could help out, as it's part of my final mark. 

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/Q25D3JW

Thanks, AC

Just now, Mr. horse said:

Paper straws ? How does that work?

They're straws made of cardboard/harder paper as opposed to the plastic ones that they currently use. There are some benefits and some negatives. I recommend you do your own research on it so I don't influence your opinion with mine.

Metal straws are superior to anything.

Big no, just recycle the plastic 

yes but they are fucking annoying

CPU AMD 5800x_____Asus Crosshair VIII_____Asus Strix LC 360_____RAM Corsair Dominator Pro 2x8Gb 3600mhz_____ASUS RTX 3080 Strix

PSU Corsair HX1000w_____CASE Lian Li 011 Dynamic (original choice right? w/9 UNI Fans)_____Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma_____Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma_____Headphones Bose QC25_____Monitor (1) Acer Predator XB1 144hz G-Sync  (2) Benq 144hz G-Sync

Microphone Blue Yeti Black

Razer Blade 14

Also an XBOX one s.

I'm all for paper straws as the majority of plastic straws make their way into the ocean eventually and you end up with shit like this

At least paper straws will dissolve/become mush after being in the water for an hour so you don't have to worry about it killing sea life...

EDIT:

This isn't to say that paper straws are the solution, as they're not. They're still a single-use waste item that the individuals who use them have little regard for disposing of properly. Going strawless would be the actual "good" way to go as that would remove the odds of improper disposal of both the paper and plastic straws all together.

Good responses so far, but perhaps consider the fact, that much more electricity is needed when making paper straws (source: bit.ly/Straws2), and their processes produces much more carbon emissions. 

34 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

I'm all for paper straws as the majority of plastic straws make their way into the ocean eventually and you end up with shit like this

At least paper straws will dissolve/become mush after being in the water for an hour so you don't have to worry about it killing sea life...

EDIT:

This isn't to say that paper straws are the solution, as they're not. They're still a single-use waste item that the individuals who use them have little regard for disposing of properly. Going strawless would be the actual "good" way to go as that would remove the odds of improper disposal of both the paper and plastic straws all together.

Jesus, that's gross

Sudo make me a sandwich 

How about no straws? How about bringing your own 16oz or whatever size container? How about metal straws? 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

34 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

How about no straws? How about bringing your own 16oz or whatever size container? How about metal straws? 

Ever had metal stuck in your palate because you fell while it was in your mouth? You really don't want metal straws, especially not around kids... Speaking from experience here.

I'd be fine with paper straw... if they can last more than a couple hours while submerged without coming apart. (like 2 to 3 hours...)
Ideally, you'd be able to just get your drinks in a reusable bottle, but that's not a solution almost anywhere, unless you literally take the cup the drink comes in and transfer it into your bottle.... But you've still created junk with that initial cup.

Isn't there a bacteria that eats plastic now?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

10 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Ever had metal stuck in your palate because you fell while it was in your mouth? You really don't want metal straws, especially not around kids... Speaking from experience here.

A few adults getting hurt is a better price to pay than contamination of the ecosystems we rely on for food. Paper straws are a great start as they are biodegradable, and they should shy away from plastics until they start paying for PLA straws. We can keep the metal straws away from children, but adults and teens can be more responsible than that. 

I'd be fine with paper straw... if they can last more than a couple hours while submerged without coming apart. (like 2 to 3 hours...)

Most paper 

Ideally, you'd be able to just get your drinks in a reusable bottle, but that's not a solution almost anywhere, unless you literally take the cup the drink comes in and transfer it into your bottle.... But you've still created junk with that initial cup.

Racetrac allows you to come into the station with your own mug, or theirs, and only pay for the initial fill-up, or not pay if you're using their branded mug. 

Isn't there a bacteria that eats plastic now?

Japan created one (or found), but it takes years to break down appreciable amounts of plastic and it needs to be quarantined or controlled to ensure it doesn't infect any area it isn't meant to go towards. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

From my single experience with them in a 0,4L cup of Fanta exotic. They are thicker and feel a lot stiffer than the normal plastic straws. They also taste funny when your tongue touches them. I also noticed that my straw started to soften a bit. Overall, they are fine. Drink reasonably fast, and you shouldn't really have too many issues with the straw dissolving. Though other drinks could dissolve it faster, idk. 

:)

i'm for paper straws. There are soo many time i've seen asshats would just chuck it on the floor when there is 5 bins around them, and one being like 2 feet in front of them.

lives on

BAKABT

57 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

I've heard the falling point twice now and I just don't understand it. I've had and used metal straws for 8 months now and not once have I been in the position where if I fell, it would be lodged in my mouth. I guess that happens if you walk around a lot while drinking, but how often is that? Even after using plastic straws for almost my whole life, I don't think I've once fallen and managed to keep the cup anywhere near my mouth. It tends to find its way to the floor on its own and its contents get everywhere.

I think the only real alternative is to get rid of straws completely and just switch to the tops with holes to drink from, or use reusable bottles like you said. To me, it would be a smart idea to have people purchase a sturdy reusable bottle and then just offer free or cheap refills anywhere. Maybe a scannable code or card could be attached to the bottle and then could be used to enable the soda machines.

6 hours ago, floofer said:

Big no, just recycle the plastic 

Plastic straws aren't recyclable. Why? Not sure.

At first I hated paper straws - the only time I had used them, they softened quickly and I had to go through like 4 of them to drink a glass of water at a restaurant.

However, turns out that restaurant just got shitty straws.

A&W here in Canada now exclusively uses paper straws, and frankly, they work totally fine. They hold together long past the point where your drink would be gone (or Pop would go flat). And they don't seem to affect the taste of the beverage.

I even had a milkshake yesterday at a restaurant with a paper straw - it was a large one (perhaps the diameter of a nickel), and it worked great.

Edit: To the OP - link seems broken.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

they are fine for me, but i wish they used something like "plastic" made from avocado pits and stuff like that

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

Metal straws are not as good as some might seem, because it's difficult to clean the inside, who knows what's growing down that tube after a few weeks of use. The other thing is, who the hell carries a metal straw in their pocket or purse. Paper straws, never used them, but I heard they turn soggy. Best solution is no straws, and use a drinking lid, just like they use for hot drinks.

lids.jpg.57ac553b2dbf30103830d58072519ab4.jpg

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I got an Iced Latte from McDonalds a couple days ago and used their paper straw for the first time, and they are appalling. I'm not exactly a slow drinker, but by about half way through the cup it had gone soggy to the point where I just binned it (not even the recycle bin because idgaf) and drank from the plastic cup. 

It also added a funny taste to the drink that went away as soon as I stopped using the straw

I'd rather they just put a regular coffee cup lid on the drinks, in IKEA that's what I do when I get a soft drink

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

Own a restaurant so can speak from it, I’m not really enthused about paper straws, but plastic straws need to go. ( I live in the Great Barrier Reef and go scuba diving a lot, plastic fucking everywhere). There’s no true alternative yet so whatever you end up with has a compromise compared to plastic. Paper is the best alternative for really thick drinks like thick shakes as they’re wide.

We trialled basically every type of straw.

• Metal Straw
    • Pros:
      • Not disposable.
    • Cons:
      • To reuse, have to clean them. When you use several hundred straws a day, that’s a notable rise in labour cost.
      • You also can’t bite down (which a lot of people do reflexively on straws) without hurting yourself, there’s no flex.
      • Also high upfront cost
      • they have a taste to them. 
  • Paper straw.
    • Pros:
      • Reasonably cheap
      • much better for environment than plastic.
    • Cons:
      • go soggy
      • impact taste of drink.
  • Bamboo Straw
    • Pros:
      • None really. Feel better than metal straws and does effect taste of drink
    • Cons:
      • Expensive, hard, have to clean.
  • silicon Straw
    • Pros:
      • Most similar to plastic - great flex, can bite down, doesn’t effect taste.
    • Cons:
      • Expensive, have to clean.
  • Straw straw
    • This is what we ended up using, it’s so close to being the perfect straw.
    • Pros:
      • Cheap - less than $0.01 per straw. Not as cheap as plastic but closest too.
      • Can bite down, theres just enough malleabilitY
      • Compostable, we use them in the garden compost that we use to grow herbs
      • Don’t have to be cleaned
      • Don’t affect taste of drink
    • Cons:
      • Not enough flex to bend, will just snap
      • variable width, so sometimes have to use two straws. 
      • Usually too thin for really thick slushies.

It's funny though how everyone went to plastics because of the mass mowing of forests and now we're returning to mowing down forests. Granted, forests can regrow, although not everyone is actively doing that...

I mean, my only experience is Starbucks with paper straws.  They get kinda soggy, which I didn't like.

Also, you either have a plastic straw wrapped in paper... or a paper straw wrapped in plastic.  We're not really saving one or the other.

I'm in agreement that we should move to the drinking lids.  Don't know if it'll happen, but that's what I think we should do.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

5 hours ago, Dredgy said:
  • Bamboo Straw
    • Pros:
      • None really. Feel better than metal straws and does effect taste of drink
    • Cons:
      • Expensive, hard, have to clean.

I don’t really understand your cons there. What's the issue of them being hard? Or need to clean? They are organic after all.

There's also banana leafs and fibres. Much more durable than wood fibres. I've had couple notebooks made by that and they've been under almost direct rain without any tearing.

The biggest problem is people, not the material. Production costs will come down when more people start to demand recycling. And I believe it will have other positive effects. Like South America becoming producer of those materials rather than just drugs.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Why not? I barely notice a difference anyway. Honestly just don't use straws at all or bring your own metal one. 

Desktop: Slick

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600    Motherboard: Asus Prime X470-Pro    RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz CL16   GPU: GTX 1080 8GB 

Storage: Samsung PM981 256GB (970 EVO)    PSU: Corsair TX650M   Case: Lian-Li PCO11 Dynamic - White  Fans: Deepcool RF120mm RGB

Peripherals: HP Omen X 35 Ultrawide (3440x1440, 100hz, G-Sync), Logitech g903, mdr-1000x, umc22 + AKG D5, Drevo Blademaster 87K RGB (Gateron Browns)

Laptop: Surface Laptop 2 Platinum - i5 8250u, 8gb ram, 256gb nvme, 13 inch pixelsense touch display

Phone: Huawei Mate 20 pro 128gb Black + iphone 6s 32gb gold

I'm against paper straws. They make the drink taste of paper, they get soggy and they feel very strange (personally I dislike the texture of paper straws).

I think a reusable bamboo/metal/silicone straw or a drinking lid would be a better alternative to plastic straws.