Google pulling games from the play store that run on Unity

Arika
57 minutes ago, HarryNyquist said:
  1. Sideloading requires explicitly enabling a switch in developer options to allow it. Without that switch enabled you can't install anything outside an approved source.

Right but you don't need to sideload to install apps out side the play store.......

2. Every solution you mentioned to this possibility involves increasingly advanced concepts that the average consumer will not be willing to undertake on their only working phone. Most people don't have the freedom of a device they can brick voluntarily.

If consumer just wants to install apps outside the play store they just need to toggle on unknown sources in the setting. It is not complicated. 

3. Google has the ultimate final say on what devices are allowed to connect to & use their services. For example, if you root, you can't use Google Pay (without some additional advanced concept as above, anyway). It would be trivial for Google to say, right, we're not going to stop you from sideloading, but you can't use any Google-official apps now because your phone is a 'security risk' to your secure data.

Once again, Google apps are not part of the Android operating system. Many Android phones do not have Google when they shipped and many consumers use alternative app store that is not own and run by Google. You are still thinking as if Android is iOS in which apple App store is the only app distribution vendor. 

And no, my phone is rooted and Google runs fine. I root all my phones since the year 2014 and all Google services run fine. Google apps are just like any other app. You can install them with an app installer file if your phone does not ship them. You can just google playstore apk and download/install them literally. 

4. It's such a mind-numbingly stupid idea that I can't imagine Android would willingly remove the one thing that makes their OS good, but with Chrome no longer supporting adblockers, I have zero faith that it won't be considered and executed to 'save' Google's revenue stream thru the Play Store.

but you don't need Google play store......

And you can install Google playstore....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fossbytes.com/10-google-play-store-alternatives/amp/

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Yeeeaaa I am quite sure the EU is going after google again if they really ban alternatives.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

17 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Their store, their cut. 

If devs don’t like it, they can use one of the numerous (if not overly popular) alternative android app stores. 

With the small caveat that the major google apps rely on the play store so manufacturers are highly unlikely to ship with a different default store unless they have to

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 hours ago, HarryNyquist said:

I'm saying that at some point Google may decide (like Chrome's adblock bullshit) that sideloading is depriving them of revenue on many fronts, and decide to remove it from mainline Android. I can't imagine most phone manufacturers not just going along with such a change.

It is literally impossible to do that, as long as Custom ROMs are a thing if nothing else. You can use Android without even having Google Play services or Play Store installed iirc (been 2 years since I rooted last phone without gapps).

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

With the small caveat that the major google apps rely on the play store so manufacturers are highly unlikely to ship with a different default store unless they have to

Gmail, drive, and docs do not require play store in any way shape or form. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

2 minutes ago, wasab said:

Gmail, drive, and docs do not require play store in nay way shape or form. 

Youtube does if I'm not mistaken.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Youtube does if I'm not mistaken.

I just disabled the playstore. YouTube still runs fine. 

I think j you meant the google App that bundles the Google play services. Many Google apps rely on it but Playstore itself is not necessary. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

2 minutes ago, wasab said:

I just disabled the playstore. YouTube still runs fine. 

I think j you meant the google App that bundles the Google play services. Many Google apps rely on it but Playstore itself is not necessary. 

Fair enough.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

21 hours ago, poochyena said:

If you opened up a retail store, would you allow random people to come in and sell their own merchandise in your store?

I think its more like: You opened up a retail store, you sold someone a coffee machine, or a razor, or a printer.
Now your upset that they are buying their coffee beans, blades, or ink from another store. - Of course this only applies if the games had an upfront cost, and wasn't "Free to Play".

If they are Free to play... ... Yeah I can see why Google would be upset, the game is essentially being that 'roommates friend' who has been crashing on your couch for over a month, and refuses to contribute to rent, electric, or appliances exc.

1 hour ago, Sypran said:

Now your upset that they are buying their coffee beans, blades, or ink from another store.

Its not a different store, its still being hosted on google play, thats the problem.

On 6/11/2019 at 8:13 PM, poochyena said:

If you opened up a retail store, would you allow random people to come in and sell their own merchandise in your store?

If they gave me a cut and it didn't interfere with my business, yes.

My Rig:

-i7 7700k @ 4.8 Ghz, delid

-ASRock Z270-ITX/ac mobo 

-16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V @ 3000Mhz

-RX 580 Sapphire Nitro+

-240 AIO, Celsius S24

-Crucial MX300 525GB, 2TB HDD

-Fractal Design Define Nano S

-650 80+ Gold semi modular from EVGA

-1080p 75Hz dell monitor

10 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

If they gave me a cut and it didn't interfere with my business, yes.

You would want to have strict adherence of what they sell though - just to make sure it doesn't interfere with your business.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

9 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

You would want to have strict adherence of what they sell though - just to make sure it doesn't interfere with your business.

I don't mind someone selling "adult" toys next to my produce aisle. It's my store dammit!

My Rig:

-i7 7700k @ 4.8 Ghz, delid

-ASRock Z270-ITX/ac mobo 

-16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V @ 3000Mhz

-RX 580 Sapphire Nitro+

-240 AIO, Celsius S24

-Crucial MX300 525GB, 2TB HDD

-Fractal Design Define Nano S

-650 80+ Gold semi modular from EVGA

-1080p 75Hz dell monitor

On 6/12/2019 at 2:08 AM, DrMacintosh said:

Good for Google. This is a great move on their part. They should keep cracking down on devs like this. It's their store, they should act like they care about it. 

? Yeah, when it directly involves money. Otherwise... :cricketswhistle:

3 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

? Yeah, when it directly involves money. Otherwise... :cricketswhistle:

What other consideration would there be? 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

What other consideration would there be? 

Security, morals, consistency, quality, standards, laws...

2 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Security, morals, consistency, quality, standards, laws...

And it is your belief that Google does not consider these things in their corporate policies? 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

And it is your belief that Google does not consider these things in their corporate policies? 

Observation. They are better than MS store, not as good as Apple. But all are kinda inconsistent. My local papershop is more reliable.

2 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Observation. They are better than MS store, not as good as Apple. But all are kinda inconsistent. My local papershop is more reliable.

Ok, because it was kinda difficult to understand what your point was from your emojis. 

55 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

I don't mind someone selling "adult" toys next to my produce aisle. It's my store dammit!

Fair enough, but the point is that it would be your decision to allow (or not allow) other businesses to sell inside your store. Google has made the decision that all payments should go through their payment processor.

I'm 100% okay with that decision. It makes sense, and it can help ensure that payments are more secure.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 6/12/2019 at 1:56 AM, Ja50n said:

The vast majority of Android users aren't going to use an alternate app store unless it's pre-loaded on their phone, and even then they'll probably stick with the Play Store.

Samsung comes with galaxy store I have never used it would love to see the stats though.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

18 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Ok, because it was kinda difficult to understand what your point was from your emojis. 

I was laughing at the point that Google is motivated by anything other than profit, at this stage. The human element left them long ago.

On 6/12/2019 at 6:36 AM, wasab said:

No worry, you don't need play store to install apps

APK Pure is one of the best alternative app store.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

On 6/11/2019 at 7:53 PM, imreloadin said:

Forcing developers to only use Google's payment processing method, which I'm sure they get a cut of, seems a little anti-consumer...

Well it is their platform. Beggers can’t be choosers.

take my games and I will never use google play again! we will revolt!

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!