Google pulling games from the play store that run on Unity

Arika

According to a few developers (u/eboxrocks from reddit being the main source of the below information) a number of games have started being removed from the Google Play store that are created on Unity due to a dependency on an SDK called AliPay, the recent policy update prohibits the use of external payment gateways for any app published on the play store.

Games built with unity (which accounts for many of the games on the app store) are getting pulled from the app store seemingly randomly as of yesterday. Only thing is that it isn't random.

Google updated their policies recently to remove apps that have certain external billing SDKs implemented in the app. All good and well and they have every right to do this, they also notified developers in advanced about the change in policy.

essentially any app that contains micro transactions must be processed through google play, if you want to publish your app on the play store.

A number of developers are not blaming Google for the removal, due to it being an automated system (because we all know how well google does with those) but i also don't think they should be given a free pass given how a lot of their algorithms have a whole bunch of "unforeseen consequences" that just so happen to benefit Google.

The problem is that Unity pulls in one of these SDKs automatically even if it isn't being used by you as a developer through their internal in app billing SDK (which most games built on Unity do). The vast majority of developers had no idea that this was the case, so no action was taken when Google announced their policy update. The result is that tons of games are being removed from the play store. 

Unity as a company has indicated that they are aware of the issue and are working to update their tools to be in compliance with the policy change. Of course the impact is you might see a lot of your games get removed from the play store (if nothing else it might help rid the store of a lot of the games that aren't maintained or kept up to date.

It seems Google is yet to release a public statement about this update, only contacting the developers that are affected.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidGaming/comments/bze65a/psa_unity_games_being_pulled_from_play_store/

https://forum.unity.com/threads/google-bans-app-due-alipay-sdk.687451/

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

23 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

Forcing developers to only use Google's payment processing method, which I'm sure they get a cut of, seems a little anti-consumer...

Eh, can always put it on another android app store. Like Amazon or Samsung.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

37 minutes ago, PocketNerd said:

Eh, can always put it on another android app store. Like Amazon or Samsung.

The vast majority of Android users aren't going to use an alternate app store unless it's pre-loaded on their phone, and even then they'll probably stick with the Play Store.

1 hour ago, imreloadin said:

Forcing developers to only use Google's payment processing method, which I'm sure they get a cut of, seems a little anti-consumer...

Their store, their cut. 

If devs don’t like it, they can use one of the numerous (if not overly popular) alternative android app stores. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Good for Google. This is a great move on their part. They should keep cracking down on devs like this. It's their store, they should act like they care about it. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 hour ago, imreloadin said:

If you opened up a retail store, would you allow random people to come in and sell their own merchandise in your store?

I use Ali-Pay a lot and have never had a problem, much quicker refunds than PayPal and great customer service, even though it won’t effect me, bit of a shame.

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

Their store, their cut. 

I would call them a marketplace, like a farmer's market or auction lot. Otherwise, they would be curating everything on the store and stamping their seal on everything. 

They should only have a say in allowing or not allowing a product or vendor into the market. If the vendor wants to use Google's credit payment system, they can, but if they bring their own, that's it. 

I see this as double-dipping into the developer's profits if they're published by a larger entity and taking away from smaller devs that might not get enough to make their product foot another project. 

Google should be asking for less of a cut to entice the market to use their system rather than Unity's. 

Or we could break them up for monopoly on Android. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

2 hours ago, imreloadin said:

Literally the same thing Apple does with the App Store. Granted this has gotten Apple into their big lawsuit. But now that google does it will it change anything? Or as some others have said, you can use a different App Store. Will that be the magic shield that keeps google from having a similar lawsuit filed against them?

For your information: Alipay is Alibaba (of taobao and aliexpress)'s equivalent of Paypal, and is mostly based on QR code payment rather than NFC.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

1 hour ago, ARikozuM said:

I would call them a marketplace, like a farmer's market or auction lot. Otherwise, they would be curating everything on the store and stamping their seal on everything. 

They should only have a say in allowing or not allowing a product or vendor into the market. If the vendor wants to use Google's credit payment system, they can, but if they bring their own, that's it. 

I see this as double-dipping into the developer's profits if they're published by a larger entity and taking away from smaller devs that might not get enough to make their product foot another project. 

Google should be asking for less of a cut to entice the market to use their system rather than Unity's. 

Or we could break them up for monopoly on Android. 

Not quite. It’s more akin to Amazon or even Walmart. Both often sell shit. And often times shit gets through that sometimes doesn’t. 

And I don’t see it as double dipping at all. People are free to use other stores. But if you put you wares into Walmart, don’t expect Walmart to allow you to use your own payment processor. 

Same with Amazon. Same with eBay too. Some of them might offer multiple payment methods, but they all control which methods are used, and also control the payment processor used. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 hours ago, imreloadin said:

Ah... You talking about Apple right? 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

3 hours ago, Ja50n said:

The vast majority of Android users aren't going to use an alternate app store unless it's pre-loaded on their phone, and even then they'll probably stick with the Play Store.

Just get a phone that is preloaded and

Amazon app store is very popular and uses by many Amazon users and who doesn't have an Amazon account these days? 

Google gets a browser Monopoly this way as well. Chrome isn't preinstall on windows but who doesn't use Google search engine and who doesn't see that download chrome notification whenever they are on Google search homepage without a chrome browser? 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

This might help cut down the number of copycat games that are riddled with ads, if so, then good for them.

7 hours ago, wasab said:

No worry, you don't need play store to install apps

for now

11 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

That is the thing though - they are essentially putting their stamp on everything. That is the point of Google making sure all apps comply to certain guidelines. They put their stamp on it and it protects the consumer and the developer. 

3 hours ago, HarryNyquist said:

for now

It has been that way in all Chinese phones since Google' s banned in China. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

10 minutes ago, wasab said:

It has been that way in all Chinese phones since Google' s banned in China. 

No I'm aware.

I'm saying that at some point Google may decide (like Chrome's adblock bullshit) that sideloading is depriving them of revenue on many fronts, and decide to remove it from mainline Android. I can't imagine most phone manufacturers not just going along with such a change.

Just now, HarryNyquist said:

No I'm aware.

I'm saying that at some point Google may decide (like Chrome's adblock bullshit) that sideloading is depriving them of revenue on many fronts, and decide to remove it from mainline Android. I can't imagine most phone manufacturers not just going along with such a change.

Android is open source. It is separate from the propietary Google services. Google can't introduce code to prevent others from sideloading g because others can easily take the same code and remove all those Google garbage and make their own brands of Android that run apps without them. 

Think Android like the Linux distros. Open source project at the end is open source project. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

3 minutes ago, wasab said:

Android is open source. It is separate from the propietary Google services. Google can't introduce code to prevent others from sideloading g because others can easily take the same code and remove all those Google garbage and make their own brands of Android that run apps without them. 

Think Android like the Linux distros. Open source project at the end is open source project. 

Chromium is open source too. How many people will just continue using Chrome despite the adblocker change, instead of switching to Brave or Opera or Edge (all of which are based on the Chromium sources)?

This is my point; I don't think any mainline manufacturers are going to allow sideloading if Google says no sideloading, and most consumers are not going to flash a new rom to get sideloading back.

Plus if Google is stupid enough to disallow adblocking, I can easily see them disallowing sideloading too.

41 minutes ago, HarryNyquist said:

Chromium is open source too. How many people will just continue using Chrome despite the adblocker change, instead of switching to Brave or Opera or Edge (all of which are based on the Chromium sources)?

This is my point; I don't think any mainline manufacturers are going to allow sideloading if Google says no sideloading, and most consumers are not going to flash a new rom to get sideloading back.

Plus if Google is stupid enough to disallow adblocking, I can easily see them disallowing sideloading too.

You don't seem to understand Android too well. You don't need to plug in USB and sideload app from your computer to install anything outside the Google play store. You just need to download an installer(apk file) like how you would install stuffs on windows. 

Android is open source, I don't know how many times I need to emphasize this. You can root your phone and literally uninstall Google play store, Google drive, Google whatever from your phone. Android and Google are separate things. Android doesn't need to have Google. In fact, all Chinese phones do not ship Google play store and use mi store, Huawei store or whatever. The best OEM can do is lock the bootloader and it still doesn't prevent you from installing apps outside the play store because Android is built not to be lock by any app distribution platform. 

Google play store and Google play services are NOT part of the Android operating system. They are apps later added on by oems. 

You can download Amazon app store from Amazon's official website with or without Google preinstall. 

If you seriously hate Google, you can grab the code of vannila Android open source project from it's website and build your own custom rom for your phone. 

XDA website has plenty premade custom ROMs this way. You can say screw all the OEM and Google stuffs and just flash a rom that's to your liking 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

11 minutes ago, wasab said:

You don't seem to understand Android too well. You don't need to plug in USB and sideload app from your computer to install anything outside the Google play store. You just need to download an installer(apk file) like how you would install stuffs on windows. 

Android is open source, I don't know how many times I need to emphasize this. You can root your phone and literally uninstall Google play store, Google drive, Google whatever from your phone. Android and Google are separate things. Android doesn't need to have Google. In fact, all Chinese phones do not ship Google play store and use mi store, Huawei store or whatever. The best OEM can do is lock the bootloader and it still doesn't prevent you from installing apps outside the play store because Android is built not to be lock by any app distribution platform. 

Google play store and Google play services are NOT part of the Android operating system. They are apps later added on by oems. 

You can download Amazon app store from Amazon's official website with or without Google preinstall. 

If you seriously hate Google, you can grab the code of vannila Android open source project from it's website and build your own custom rom for your phone. 

XDA website has plenty premade custom ROMs this way. You can say screw all the OEM and Google stuffs and just flash a rom that's to your liking 

1. Sideloading requires explicitly enabling a switch in developer options to allow it. Without that switch enabled you can't install anything outside an approved source.
  2. Every solution you mentioned to this possibility involves increasingly advanced concepts that the average consumer will not be willing to undertake on their only working phone. Most people don't have the freedom of a device they can brick voluntarily.
  3. Google has the ultimate final say on what devices are allowed to connect to & use their services. For example, if you root, you can't use Google Pay (without some additional advanced concept as above, anyway). It would be trivial for Google to say, right, we're not going to stop you from sideloading, but you can't use any Google-official apps now because your phone is a 'security risk' to your secure data.
  4. It's such a mind-numbingly stupid idea that I can't imagine Android would willingly remove the one thing that makes their OS good, but with Chrome no longer supporting adblockers, I have zero faith that it won't be considered and executed to 'save' Google's revenue stream thru the Play Store.

Bad Google! You can't just try to take it all back and go Apple on us and try to monopolize and control all profits going through your store!

Seriously though: external payments are fucking shit and probably just asking to get your CC fucking stolen anyway but I just don't know if google can basically un-ring the bell: everybody knows the Play Store is a fucking wild west of shady apps where most things go so taking back some control is going to negate a lot of what has made Android popular so far but we'll see.

-------

Current Rig

-------