XBox Game Pass for PC - The Netflix of games (low price)

GoodBytes

During Microsoft E3 presentation, Microsoft announced its new PC service called XBox Game Pass. First introduced for XBox console owner, it is now coming to PC with a newer lower price. If you are a big gamer, then this service might interest you.

For only 9.99$ per month (scratch that, it is 4.99$ during Beta... scratch that as well.. for today, it is 1$),  the service allows you to download and play a wide variety of games, including nearly all coming up games on day 1 announced at the E3 presentation, and play how much you want. The company says that as of now, they are 100 games already on there including games like Forza Horizon 4, Wolfenstein 2 - The New Colossus, Psychonauts 2, Imperator Rome, Metro Exodus, Gears of War 4, Hellblade and more.

Xbox Game Pass has unlimited access to over 100 high-quality games—with titles added all the time. Whether you play console games, PC games, or both, there’s a plan for you. Join Xbox Game Pass for one low monthly price and discover your next favorite game.

So to clarify, you don't stream the games, you still need a gaming PC. It is like Steam, but you rent your games through one payment instead of buying them.

You can browse the library of games here: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-game-pass/games

You can get the app to get started or just browse around (Windows 10 required): https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-game-pass/pc-games

Source: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-game-pass

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/e3

I think it is a pretty cool service if you play a log of games, or have games you want to catch up, or want to try some games before buying them (when you buy games you played through the service you get a discount price from what I can see).

Might actually play out better than Stadia

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

It's a pretty good deal.. but dear god, their launcher for this is awwwwwwful.

Dell S2721DGF - RTX 3070 XC3 - i5 12600K

Hmm. Now this is basically admitting nobody is ready for the latency involved (And yes, this is were we are at Google: you have to convince us this is ready against all odds) in direct game streaming and I'm inclined to agree. I am a tad concerned about a couple details

1) Constant re-downloads: Let's face it for most modern games you want and SSD. TB SSDs are pretty reasonable priced right now however that's potentially just 10 games. The point of the service seems to be equal to Netflix on this regard: make you think you can game a lot but betting on you playing 5 to 10 different games per month otherwise a not-insignificant amount of time will be spend on downloads and ssd upkeep deleting games, even on a TB SSD

2) No control (which mainly means no mods): My guess is that this will be pretty locked down so you can forget about modding. This is not insignificant btw: Companies like Bethesda seem to forget that some of their success is due to modders making up for their laughable quality control and lack of quality content.

3) Appealing to lowest common denominator: This is also kind of a no brainer: I am assuming that non first party titles might have a licensing agreement. One that unlike Steam, can be revoked at any time in case somebody like say, Epic, offers a better deal (They'll be ready with a competitor fairly soon) so it means it will become a war of exclusivity nonsense (Again just like TV/Movie streaming services) and who's got the hottest games right now and the catalog of smaller games might suffer and make your experience rather inconsistent: "Ooops, that nice RPG you were advancing through just got removed from the store and your copy locked into nothingness, lol fuck you: go play FIFA kid, exlusive on Xbox Game Pass!!"

-------

Current Rig

-------

10 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Hmm. Now this is basically admitting nobody is ready for the latency involved (And yes, this is were we are at Google: you have to convince us this is ready against all odds) in direct game streaming and I'm inclined to agree. I am a tad concerned about a couple details

1) Constant re-downloads: Let's face it for most modern games you want and SSD. TB SSDs are pretty reasonable priced right now however that's potentially just 10 games. The point of the service seems to be equal to Netflix on this regard: make you think you can game a lot but betting on you playing 5 to 10 different games per month otherwise a not-insignificant amount of time will be spend on downloads and ssd upkeep deleting games, even on a TB SSD

2) No control (which mainly means no mods): My guess is that this will be pretty locked down so you can forget about modding. This is not insignificant btw: Companies like Bethesda seem to forget that some of their success is due to modders making up for their laughable quality control and lack of quality content.

3) Appealing to lowest common denominator: This is also kind of a no brainer: I am assuming that non first party titles might have a licensing agreement. One that unlike Steam, can be revoked at any time in case somebody like say, Epic, offers a better deal (They'll be ready with a competitor fairly soon) so it means it will become a war of exclusivity nonsense (Again just like TV/Movie streaming services) and who's got the hottest games right now and the catalog of smaller games might suffer and make your experience rather inconsistent: "Ooops, that nice RPG you were advancing through just got removed from the store and your copy locked into nothingness, lol fuck you: go play FIFA kid, exlusive on Xbox Game Pass!!"

Did you miss the fact MS also announced there game streaming service? not much details now, but it was announced.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/06/09/project-xcloud-october-launch/?utm_medium=newsletter&utm_source=morningafter

See they are going to tie game pass and their xCloud Service to allow for streaming all games you own & game pass games with out paying anything more then you currently are, it also gives xCloud 3,500 games on day one. It comes out this October

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

33 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

Why not both? I'm in on the pass already, I would still consider stadia, and of course just buying others through steam when I want

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

During Microsoft E3 presentation, Microsoft announced its new PC service called XBox Game Pass. First introduced for XBox console owner, it is now coming to PC with a newer lower price. If you are a big gamer, then this service might interest you.

For only 9.99$ per month (scratch that, it is 4.99$ during Beta... scratch that as well.. for today, it is 1$),  the service allows you to download and play a wide variety of games, including nearly all coming up games on day 1 announced at the E3 presentation, and play how much you want. The company says that as of now, they are 100 games already on there including games like Forza Horizon 4, Wolfenstein 2 - The New Colossus, Psychonauts 2, Imperator Rome, Metro Exodus, Gears of War 4, Hellblade and more.

So to clarify, you don't stream the games, you still need a gaming PC. It is like Steam, but you rent your games through one payment instead of buying them.

You can browse the library of games here: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-game-pass/games

You can get the app to get started or just browse around (Windows 10 required): https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-game-pass/pc-games

Source: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-game-pass

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/e3

I think it is a pretty cool service if you play a log of games, or have games you want to catch up, or want to try some games before buying them (when you buy games you played through the service you get a discount price from what I can see).

Wait if you get the $1 monthly today, will it always be $1, or will it go to the normal price? I'm assuming normal price.

9 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

No I think it is more. "Depending on your ISP and where you live, game streaming might be possible, but this more of a 'universal' solid solution".

MS announced at E3 their xCloud service, where you can stream games, but no more info then that. I won't be surprised if it ties with this service later on.

To make xCloud more possible, you can use your own XBox as a server to host the service so that you can play your games on the system on the go (laptop out of home for example, or show games to a friend instead of bringing the disk or start a never ending download over there), or use MS servers.

3 minutes ago, Mr_Argon said:

Wait if you get the $1 monthly today, will it always be $1, or will it go to the normal price? I'm assuming normal price.

Normal price. And you can bet auto-renew is enabled by default, like any subscription service (unless local laws doesn't allow this).

I purchased it for the $1 just to try it out. I will surely cancel before the $5 hits at the start of next month but for a dollar, totally worth it haha. 

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

Let me know when I can just buy Halo Infinite on Steam.

Assuming it includes all previous Halo games (ODST excluded) that have been remastered in 4k.

Until then,...... snore.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

It's crazy how a company like Microsoft can have such a crappy website though. I've been trying for the past 5 minutes or so to just make the filters work and yesterday they started talking about Game Pass coming to PC but it was so un-user-friendly that I decided to give up.

Here's a more straightforward source:

https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-game-pass-pc-list

From what I can see, out of the 103 PC games that are currently available I already own many of the ones that I'm interested in and they were all released quite a while ago so no novelty here. However there are still around 5 games that make the offer worth it, and I there are more games coming including AoE 2 Definitive Edition or Halo: The Master Chief Collection. Out of the many games to come, many are independent titles so it's not for everyone. It's not like you won't have to buy AAA titles separately. Not quite a Netflix-level offer quality 

Metro Exodus is Xbone only as of now with this 'service' so booo. Only game currently out I'd pay the $1 to play, maaaybe Forza Horizon 4.

57 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Let me know when I can just buy Halo Infinite on Steam.

Assuming it includes all previous Halo games (ODST excluded) that have been remastered in 4k.

Until then,...... snore.

Halo Infinite? No. That won’t include the older titles. 

However, we’ve known for some time that the Master Chief Collection is coming to steam. It will release with Reach first, then the rest of the games in chronological order (ODST is a DLC add-on on the Xbox version and I doubt that’ll change with the PC version, but we’ll see). 

I also assume Halo Infinite will get added to the MCC - but I imagine you’ll have to pay an add-on fee for it. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I hate the idea of games as a service. Games aren't like movies where it's absolutely identical on every run so you basically watch it once and forget about it. Where games can be entirely different experience for several runs. And if you like modding and simply prefer to actually own things, this just isn't it. But I can see it being popular among normies who treat games like I treat movies. They play them through once and forget about them. For them, this will be great as it would probably end up being cheaper.

16 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

-snip-

-snip-

You could add it requires Windows 10 (1903), so welcome to the beta-zone where major bugs reside (like that Dolby Atmos for Headphones doesn't work, D3D games can't enter full screen with flipped screens, Bluetooth is fucked, games with older BattlEye fucked, "Error attempting to update with external USB device or memory card attached").

So, yay for that 1$ for a month price when you fuck up your Windows with beta-update. Otherwise I think this is ok.

E: I correct myself, the released app requires Windows 10 (1903), but once you have the pass, you can just get the games from the Microsoft Store

So as a Microsoft employee i was able to purchase 2 years of XBL Gold for $50, and with today's promo of $1 for Game Pass Ultimate my XBL Gold membership got upgraded for the entirety of its duration...

Basically I got Game Pass Ultimate for $51 and I don't even own an Xbox, sweet!

Ryzen 5 3600 | EVGA CLC240 | EVGA RTX 2070 Super XC Ultra | ASRock B450 Pro4 | 16gb EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3200 | 1tb WD SN550 | 2tb SanDisk Ultra 3DEVGA P2 650w | Fractal Design Meshify CViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD + ViewSonic VS2412-H | GHS.RAR (Boba U4s, Staebies, GMK Aurora Polaris + Artisans) | Steelseries Aerox Ghost | Artisan-Japan Ninja FX Hien (M/Soft) | Fostex HP-A3 | Fostex PM0.3G | Fostex T60RP | Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro | Beyerdynamic FOX

yeeaahhh...

Will stick to Humble Monthly as the only sub i actually enjoy paying

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

5 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

1) How does this bet on you playing 5 to 10 games a month. I'm not understanding your logic here.

2) Hard to say. With Paradox games on there we'll see pretty soon if Game Pass PC games are moddable.

3) Microsoft is pretty good at announcing what games are coming and going from Game Pass. They don't seem at all interested in making games exclusive to Game Pass. In fact they broke Metro: Exodus' EGS exclusivity by offering it on Game Pass PC.

3 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

However, we’ve known for some time that the Master Chief Collection is coming to steam. It will release with Reach first, then the rest of the games in chronological order (ODST is a DLC add-on on the Xbox version and I doubt that’ll change with the PC version, but we’ll see). 

I also assume Halo Infinite will get added to the MCC - but I imagine you’ll have to pay an add-on fee for it. 

Technically, all the games on PC are "add-ons" of a sort as they can all be bought separately with a buy-all option coming down the road.

Infinite won't be added to the MCC. It is going to be a $60, separate title. Or included with Game Pass, if you want to go that route instead of buying on Steam.

4 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

As long as I can replay the entire series in 4k, I'm down.

Gonna be disappointed if 1-3 aren't 4k.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

7 hours ago, Princess Luna said:

But it hasn´t streaming?

1 hour ago, Trik'Stari said:

As long as I can replay the entire series in 4k, I'm down.

Gonna be disappointed if 1-3 aren't 4k.

I believe you’ll be able to render it in whatever resolution you want, including 4K. But I do not know if 1-3 will be receiving any further “HD remaster” experience beyond what was already done for MCC. 

So the textures, etc, might be unchanged. 

We will start to learn more soon, I think. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

For Pc there is only 63 games, DLC are not included so you have to purchase them on top of subscription. Only Windows 10, not for me to many thing wrong with system.

7 hours ago, killertek78 said:

Metro Exodus is Xbone only as of now with this 'service' so booo.

Nope, I have it on PC via game pass, played a few hours last night. Make sure you install the beta Xbox App

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount