Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 vs S5e?

LukeS

Hello,

So a bit of a backstory: I'm a 19 year old nursing student working as a full time with a private EMS company, part time with an HEMS (helicopter EMS) company, and a volunteer firefighter/EMT. With my jobs and such, I tend to be rough on my electronics. For my graduation gift last year, my parents got me a new HP Pavillion laptop. The motherboard died in the winter and it wouldn't turn on and had a screen issue. I sent it to HP, and they "fixed" it and sent it back. A few months later (during exams week) it broke again (same issues not as bad), and I was too late to request warranty. I'm currently in the market for a tablet since I feel that a solid-state system would last longer than my laptop and I only needed a new laptop for one class (which I won't start taking until junior year of college). 

That said, I went to BestBuy last week and asked about tablets. I was very interested in making a full switch to Apple, but I just replaced my phone and got a new smartwatch (Samsung's gear sport) last year and don't have a budget for that (broke college kid, remember). Anyways, the CS at BestBuy showed me the Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 and S5e. I like both, however a big draw to Apple for me is the Apple Pen, which Samsung has a similar product only for the S4. S5e seems cool because it's cheaper and newer. I'd buy the keyboard for either/or, and because it's for school, I don't care about the price. They seem very similar minus the price range. I can't find any review for either tablet, so thought I'd ask the LTT community. 

(And for those that might ask what I'd use it for: school and checking off my trucks with a program we use)

"I don't try to be smart, I try to observe. Millions saw the apple fall, only one asked "why?""

I would get an iPad Pro, they’re much faster and iPad OS seems amazing from MKBHD’s video. Works as a second screen/drawing tablet with macs, also finally added mouse support and some other stuff.

6 minutes ago, Daniel Z. said:

I would get an iPad Pro, they’re much faster and iPad OS seems amazing from MKBHD’s video. Works as a second screen/drawing tablet with macs, also finally added mouse support and some other stuff.

The issue for me would be a full-switch to Apple is too expensive. I don't have the budget for this tablet, and I can't use iMessage with my android phone. If I had the money, I would do a full-switch to Apple, however. 

"I don't try to be smart, I try to observe. Millions saw the apple fall, only one asked "why?""

Unless theres some specific niche that requires something more open than iOS (emulation, programming, etc), then it's better to hold onto your money and pretend Android doesn't exist in tablets than jump into an ill-supported ecosystem with lacking hardware.

Given the financial situation, I'd probably skip the tablet altogether and keep things as practical as possible, doubled so if you're planning on going into (further) debt to finance this purchase.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

I'd get the S5e if you can live without the pen.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

23 hours ago, LukeS said:

The issue for me would be a full-switch to Apple is too expensive. I don't have the budget for this tablet, and I can't use iMessage with my android phone. If I had the money, I would do a full-switch to Apple, however. 

Noone forces you to use iMessage.

And what do you mean with full switch? You just asked for a tablet, no?

There is zero Reason to get a new phone, or a new computer. An iPad can still work without an iphone near it.

I use an iPad Pro as a casual tablet + for college, an Android phone and a Windows desktop. Zero problems.

It's not really expensive, not more than getting a Tab S4.

Plus, you said you don't care about the Price.

iPad Air 3, or the older iPad Pro 10.5" 2nd generation form 2017. Even this is a MUCH better Tablet than the Tab S4 in the long run.

Performance is better, the app ecosystem is worlds apart, even a 2 year old iPad Pro will get much longer updates than event he upcoming Tab S5, that will probably come this year or next.

If you want to use it for school, and for digital note taking, iPad is the only Option (aside from Windows Tablets, like surface). Android sucks hard in this regard.