How did Apple DO this? - MacBook Pro 2019

Another year, another MacBook… Or so it seems. Has Apple changed more than just the spec this time around, or can we judge this book by its cover?

Buy a 2019 MacBook Pro from Apple: https://lmg.gg/8KVRs

Buy an ASUS SCAR III:
On Amazon: https://geni.us/Ykag0D
On Newegg: https://geni.us/4HOwG0

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

Video is unlisted on YouTube.

@GabenJr

Screwdriver specs: Long, pointy. Turns things. Some kind of metal.

Main rig: 

i9-7900x | Asus X299-Prime | 4x8GB G-Skill TridentZ @3300MHz | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB | Intel 5400S 1TB | Corsair HX1200

unRAID server:

Xeon  E5-1630v4 |  Asus X99-E WS | 4x8GB G-Skill DDR4 @2400MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB cache drive | 12TB spinning rust | Corsair RM750X

FreeNAS server:

AMD something-or-other | Asus prebuilt sadness | 8GB DDR3-1600 | 9TB magnetic storage | Potential fire threat

HTPC:

i7-4790 | GTX1650 | Dell Sadness | 12GB DDR3-1600 | Samsung 860 250GB | 1TB magnetic storage | James Loudspeaker SPL3 x2 | Corsair SF450

Just now, Lord Mirdalan said:

Video is unlisted on YouTube.

@GabenJr

I make the forum post before setting YouTube as public so I can have the forum link in the description the moment I set it public.

Just now, GabenJr said:

I make the forum post before setting YouTube as public so I can have the forum link in the description the moment I set it public.

Ahhh... Thanks.

Screwdriver specs: Long, pointy. Turns things. Some kind of metal.

Main rig: 

i9-7900x | Asus X299-Prime | 4x8GB G-Skill TridentZ @3300MHz | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB | Intel 5400S 1TB | Corsair HX1200

unRAID server:

Xeon  E5-1630v4 |  Asus X99-E WS | 4x8GB G-Skill DDR4 @2400MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB cache drive | 12TB spinning rust | Corsair RM750X

FreeNAS server:

AMD something-or-other | Asus prebuilt sadness | 8GB DDR3-1600 | 9TB magnetic storage | Potential fire threat

HTPC:

i7-4790 | GTX1650 | Dell Sadness | 12GB DDR3-1600 | Samsung 860 250GB | 1TB magnetic storage | James Loudspeaker SPL3 x2 | Corsair SF450

When you upgrade to a better cooling system system on other machines, they will try to boost the processor to a higher frequency thanks to the increased headroom.

Apple, on the other hand, will try to lower the fan speed to stay quiet and maintain the base clock.

And in this case, they did not even bother to upgrade...you have to give them credit on how they manage to tame the beast this time around.

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

I want to see devinci resolve benchmarks in the future

This is why I love LMG's current direction. More host diversity means a wider knowledge stack to pull from and an easier time picking a writer who actually has a reason to talk about the topic at hand!

It is amazingly obvious in LTT videos when the writer who worked on the project was passionate and knowledgeable about the topic before it came to their desk/pay check. If I remember correctly this is the first Apple product review that Linus didn't host, yeah? Clearly Apple will continue to get shat on if the host doesn't like their products to begin with.

And I really, really must say @GabenJr deserves a "greatest improvement" and "best host" award, if LMG ever decides to issue community-voted awards. It is quantifiable in not only the quality of the end result in editing, but also in host confidence how much better Anthony has become since the beginning of the year. Your confidence in front of the camera is immeasurably better, and your "stage" presence truly makes you come across as the knowledgeable and intelligent individual you are. Also you seem to have lost a little weight, props for that!

Also, whoever shot the B-Roll for this video needs a raise. Truly stunning, and the absolute best I have ever seen from any LMG content.

I think the only underrated host now is Terran, bring back keyboard reviews and make that his thing! The king sits idle on this throne ?

TL;DR: LTT improves every day diversity grows. The recent influx of other faces in front of the camera is nothing short of a blessing.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

I’ve seen the comment about the 2019 keyboard being on the repair list from day 1 not being a good sign a few times now. However, even as an Apple fan (everything but my desktop) I would not have even considered this one if it wasn’t included in the repair program from the start. Would obviously be better to just not fail but the 4 years of free repair is something at least. 

Still wish I could stick with my 2013 Air for a few more years but it’s showing its age. 

I had the Late 2011 13" model, but the 2013 Air that replaced it, and the 2016 that replaced that, its definitely time for an upgrade if you haven't. I'm not even sure the 2011 can run Catalina. 

31 minutes ago, floofer said:

I had the Late 2011 13" model, but the 2013 Air that replaced it, and the 2016 that replaced that, its definitely time for an upgrade if you haven't. I'm not even sure the 2011 can run Catalina. 

2011 was taken off the supported list with High Sierra, actually. It is not officially supported on Mojave.

But, a guy named DosDude1 releases legacy patchers that allow non supported macs to run Mojave, supporting very old laptops like the 2007 Macbook, which I tested. It works very good, actually. Even GPU Acceleration was working on the old nVidia GPU if you use Dark Mode. Light Mode for some reason produces artifacts.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 

57 minutes ago, uuashington said:

I’ve seen the comment about the 2019 keyboard being on the repair list from day 1 not being a good sign a few times now. However, even as an Apple fan (everything but my desktop) I would not have even considered this one if it wasn’t included in the repair program from the start. Would obviously be better to just not fail but the 4 years of free repair is something at least. 

Still wish I could stick with my 2013 Air for a few more years but it’s showing its age. 

I have a 2014 air and it is still running like new. Have you reset PRAM/NVRAM and SMC recently? Most slowness on Macs result from garbled data in either or both chips. 

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, SenpaiKaplan said:

2011 was taken off the supported list with High Sierra, actually. It is not officially supported on Mojave.

But, a guy named DosDude1 releases legacy patchers that allow non supported macs to run Mojave, supporting very old laptops like the 2007 Macbook, which I tested. It works very good, actually. Even GPU Acceleration was working on the old nVidia GPU if you use Dark Mode. Light Mode for some reason produces artifacts.

Those patchers are not generally a good idea, especially if your applications are still supported on the older MacOS. Either way, theres serious performance and stability upgrades to gain from a newer model Mac. Not to mention the Retina display and better chassis. It's a big leap. 

2 minutes ago, floofer said:

Those patchers are not generally a good idea, especially if your applications are still supported on the older MacOS. Either way, theres serious performance and stability upgrades to gain from a newer model Mac. Not to mention the Retina display and better chassis. It's a big leap. 

I used a DosDude1 patched Macbook every day for years, the only issue I ever had in that time was not even due to his software, but failing hardware. Many very common programs refuse to run on anything older than HS, including Office 365.

Patching has it's issues, the largest of which is GPU acceleration issues (which Dark Theme does not seem to struggle with, as I cited), but I can happily say after years of use it is a viable solution.

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

I have a 2014 air and it is still running like new. Have you reset PRAM/NVRAM and SMC recently? Most slowness on Macs result from garbled data in either or both chips. 

Showing its age might not be exactly the right phrase. 90% of the time, it’s perfect. I’m just doing some more intensive stuff recently so it’s a combination of being old and not particularly powerful to begin with. 

1 minute ago, uuashington said:

Showing its age might not be exactly the right phrase. 90% of the time, it’s perfect. I’m just doing some more intensive stuff recently so it’s a combination of being old and not particularly powerful to begin with. 

Ahhh... I see. I would certainly notice it too if I didn't have an i5-8600k to do all my heavy rendering projects. Rendering on a 4th gen dual core is not a good idea, I tried!

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

Uh oh. A positive LMG mac review coming after another recent positive LMG mac review???? Uh oh.... where's LMG's apple hate money going to come from? 

Also, where are all da apple haters at? 

Funny how when LMG actually get around to comparing an apple computer to another computer of similar spec (even one that's 1.5x as thick, with a much better cooling system) the mac still outperforms it.

Interesting how that works.

I mean, it's only what we've been asking for for years and all. A fair and "unbiased" (as if) comparison. 

Bravo.... bravo... *Slow clap*

1 minute ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

I used a DosDude1 patched Macbook every day for years, the only issue I ever had in that time was not even due to his software, but failing hardware. Many very common programs refuse to run on anything older than HS, including Office 365.

Patching has it's issues, the largest of which is GPU acceleration issues (which Dark Theme does not seem to struggle with, as I cited), but I can happily say after years of use it is a viable solution.

FWIW this is what I’m running on my 2011 MBP and generally speaking stability is fine. I only have acceleration on the iGPU though, which to be honest is probably for the best. I’ve been modifying my machine for a good while now; from the start I got a 256GB Samsung 940 Pro and 16GB of RAM for it, then I upgraded the WiFi card to the 2012 version with support for BTLE / Handoff.

1 minute ago, GabenJr said:

FWIW this is what I’m running on my 2011 MBP and generally speaking stability is fine. I only have acceleration on the iGPU though, which to be honest is probably for the best. I’ve been modifying my machine for a good while now; from the start I got a 256GB Samsung 940 Pro and 16GB of RAM for it, then I upgraded the WiFi card to the 2012 version with support for BTLE / Handoff.

You have a 15" 2011 that still works!? The way the camera was in the video, I thought it was a 13". I went through 3 logic boards of various revisions (including the later 2 "fixed" revisions) and could never keep mine up for more than a few months. DosDude1 is actually looking into a firmware only mod to 100% hide and disable the dGPU from the mainboard, as right now the only bypass is to literally re-wire every single data line from the dGPU to the display to bypass the chip that controls the switching logic and only run off iGPU, as well as wire the iGPU data lines directly to the display logic rather than going through aforementioned switching chip. 

I really hope his project goes somewhere, as the 2nd gen mobile Core iX chips in those things are really still good processors for general use and productivity. From what I remember of my editing days back then they were even pretty quick at encoding the 1080p/60 footage I was editing.

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

26 minutes ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

When you use a laptop for work, money for a new laptop for usability isn't really a problem, more of a necessity. It's viable, but viability and usability, reliability and performance are all exclusive. 

21 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Uh oh. A positive LMG mac review coming after another recent positive LMG mac review???? Uh oh.... where's LMG's apple hate money going to come from? 

Also, where are all da apple haters at? 

Funny how when LMG actually get around to comparing an apple computer to another computer of similar spec (even one that's 1.5x as thick, with a much better cooling system) the mac still outperforms it.

Interesting how that works.

I mean, it's only what we've been asking for for years and all. A fair and "unbiased" (as if) comparison. 

Bravo.... bravo... *Slow clap*

To be totally fair, what Apple is doing under macOS is running the processor technically out of spec by undervolting the CPU. This could lead to some chips being unstable if they ever actually reached that 5GHz single core boost, due to the fact that it was designed with one voltage value in mind and is seeing another.

But, this won't happen, and the 8c MBP will probably be my next laptop regardless, though with the Vega 20 GPU. My 2014 is nice and all, but 2 cores really does hurt encoding times when I want to do some video editing on campus away from my desktop.

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, floofer said:

When you use a laptop for work, money for a new laptop for usability isn't really a problem, more of a necessity. It's viable, but viability and usability, reliability and performance are all exclusive. 

Well I used that laptop for school and never experienced an issue other than 1 failed logic board on my 09 Macbook polycarb. But, that was the OG board and I purchased the device knowing it had been abused by a bunch of kids and was in a house with both smokers and pets. It was filthy inside, and even though I cleaned it before I used it the damage had been done.

A work laptop though, assuming I was employed by somebody else? I would 100% always use a new, as well as supported device. The philosophy only changes because an unstable OS would result in me becoming an unreliable/inefficient employee. This is with the knowledge I have of the macOS patcher tools DosDude1 comes out with, and knowing they are as stable as a patched OS gets. Still, a chance is a chance, and a chance is more than any employer wants!

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

Cool video, very insightful and well presented!

Hey quick question: can somebody direct me as to how Anthony was able to see how many times his email to Apple had been opened, or opened at all? @5:20 in the video

I wonder if this really is a just-software fix, since even iFixit didn't find any changes in the cooling system.