More VRAM means less RAM usage?

Senior Gui

I have only 8 gigs of DDR4 2133MHz memory in my computer and I have played all of the demaning games that are notorious for using more than 8GB of memory (BF4, BFV, Ghost Recon Wildlands you name it), and I suppose part of that is because I own an R9 390 which has 8GB of VRAM. I was wondering if the VRAM is kind of working as a substitute for the RAM and if it's better or worse than just having dual channel RAM (did I mention I was only on single channel? kind of shitty I know nut I dont have the money to upgrade). 

17 minutes ago, Senior Gui said:

I have only 8 gigs of DDR4 2133MHz memory in my computer and I have played all of the demaning games that are notorious for using more than 8GB of memory (BF4, BFV, Ghost Recon Wildlands you name it), and I suppose part of that is because I own an R9 390 which has 8GB of VRAM. I was wondering if the VRAM is kind of working as a substitute for the RAM and if it's better or worse than just having dual channel RAM (did I mention I was only on single channel? kind of shitty I know nut I dont have the money to upgrade). 

When you have enough money just buy another 8 gb and you will be good, up until then nothing to worry about just make sure you don't run any useless program on the background while playing your game :) 

P.S. The ram and the Vram is different, a game uses RAM and VRAM, you have 8 GB ram and 8GB Vram which is pretty good,

Going 16 gb ram and 8 gb vrm will be  great for some room

Cheers

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

1 minute ago, gbergeron said:

When you have enough money just buy another 8 gb and you will be good, up until then nothing to worry about just make sure you don't run any useless program on the background while playing your game :) 

Cheers

I dont run absolutely anything in the backround, it's just that some games tend to run worse on my computer than I see other people review online who have the same GPU and CPU (for example BF1 still dips below 50fps like 70% of the time on medium settings on Conquest). 

Singlechannel and only 8GB of Ram can be a very bad experience when playing EA titles these days. Id recommend pickin up another stick. You shouldnt be worried about Vram

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

Singlechannel and only 8GB of Ram can be a very bad experience when playing EA titles these days. Id recommend pickin up another stick. You shouldnt be worried about Vram

i know, it fucking sucks. thing is i'd rather not buy another stick of RAM, I really don't feel like sinking more oney into this. Would it be fine if I OC'd my RAM to 2800MHz and my i5 6500 to 3.9-4Ghz? It's a valid question cause I gotta risk using modded BIOS drivers for my MOBO to OC the CPU 

32 minutes ago, Senior Gui said:

Disable pagefile and see if your system choking for RAM. 

It will use system RAM if you running out of VRAM but not the other way around. If you ran out of RAM it will use pagefile instead.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Hi, happy easter

The speed of your memory is important too
Here you see 2 examples of ram usage
one at 2133 mhz and in the other picture 3000 mhz xmp

Mass Effect Andromeda Screenshot 2019.06.08 - 22.43.43.00.png

Mass Effect Andromeda Screenshot 2019.06.08 - 22.48.54.11.png

25 minutes ago, Senior Gui said:

my i5 6500 to 3.9-4Ghz

You can't because the 6500 is non-K chip, its not overclockable. IIRC only the 6600K is overclockable from the Skylake i5 range.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

59 minutes ago, Senior Gui said:

i know, it fucking sucks. thing is i'd rather not buy another stick of RAM, I really don't feel like sinking more oney into this. Would it be fine if I OC'd my RAM to 2800MHz and my i5 6500 to 3.9-4Ghz? It's a valid question cause I gotta risk using modded BIOS drivers for my MOBO to OC the CPU 

The CPU cant overclock and dp you have a z series board to PC the Ram?

27 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

The CPU cant overclock and dp you have a z series board to PC the Ram?

1 hour ago, BigRom said:

You can't because the 6500 is non-K chip, its not overclockable. IIRC only the 6600K is overclockable from the Skylake i5 range.

I CAN overclock the CPU, and yes I have a z170-p. the method of overclock is a little unorthodox where I flash a modified version of my bios to allow me to overclock the non k cpu. so i can do it but i preffer not to 

1 hour ago, xAcid9 said:

Disable pagefile and see if your system choking for RAM. 

It will use system RAM if you running out of VRAM but not the other way around. If you ran out of RAM it will use pagefile instead.

I did that once and my PC ended up briking and had to wipe and reinstall everything 

2 hours ago, Senior Gui said:

I did that once and my PC ended up briking and had to wipe and reinstall everything 

lul. then that mean you're already using pagefile and depend on games especially open world games could possibly slow down texture streaming. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

15 hours ago, Senior Gui said:

Your problem is not the RAM it's your CPU.

i5 6500 is not strong enough for BF 1 or BF V

Overclocking your RAM won't help. Adding another 8 GB of ram won't help.

Sorry to give you the bad news but BF1 and BF5 are very cpu demanding, they requires an i7

you're i5 4 cores 4 threads is the issue here

BFV doesn't take more than 8GB RAM, it takes around 5-6 GB even maxed out

You could run BF V with 8 GB of ram and a i7 6700K with no problems at all, smooth gameplay etc...

Source : My own experience with BF 1 and V with an i5 6600K and after upgraded to 6700K

Also if you monitor CPU and GPU usage during gameplay you will see your i5 topping 100% usage almost all the time so not enough power for the GPU and also creating CPU lag stutters.

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

11 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

lul. then that mean you're already using pagefile and depend on games especially open world games could possibly slow down texture streaming. 

No it's not true. Some applications will use pagefile even when there is a lot of RAM available.

Never turn off pagefile

2 hours ago, gbergeron said:

No it's not true. Some applications will use pagefile even when there is a lot of RAM available.

Never turn off pagefile

I turned off pagefile for years before. I only turn it back on last year because i get some BSOD and window unable to create memory dmp and even that i only make it 500mb pagefile. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2019 at 5:10 PM, gbergeron said:

Your problem is not the RAM it's your CPU.

i5 6500 is not strong enough for BF 1 or BF V

Overclocking your RAM won't help. Adding another 8 GB of ram won't help.

Sorry to give you the bad news but BF1 and BF5 are very cpu demanding, they requires an i7

you're i5 4 cores 4 threads is the issue here

BFV doesn't take more than 8GB RAM, it takes around 5-6 GB even maxed out

You could run BF V with 8 GB of ram and a i7 6700K with no problems at all, smooth gameplay etc...

Source : My own experience with BF 1 and V with an i5 6600K and after upgraded to 6700K

Also if you monitor CPU and GPU usage during gameplay you will see your i5 topping 100% usage almost all the time so not enough power for the GPU and also creating CPU lag stutters.

i guess ill look into that modified bios for my motherboard and oc my i5. although looking at fps tests online, some people get better frames than me with weaker hardware just because they have dual channel. after all, it's not about the usage, but the speed, and dual channel doubles the speed.

8 hours ago, Senior Gui said:

i guess ill look into that modified bios for my motherboard and oc my i5. although looking at fps tests online, some people get better frames than me with weaker hardware just because they have dual channel. after all, it's not about the usage, but the speed, and dual channel doubles the speed.

Dual channel memory increases FPS mostly just when you use HD graphics (no independant graphic card)

When you use a GPU, dual channel memory increases fps only by a little...

I garantee your issue is coming from your CPU. Adding Dual Channel would still help a bit but you will still lag often very often actually

4 cores CPU are not that good anymore you need at least 8 threads, so an i7

Lag will disappear even if you still in single channel ram mode.

On 6/9/2019 at 10:27 PM, xAcid9 said:

I turned off pagefile for years before. I only turn it back on last year because i get some BSOD and window unable to create memory dmp and even that i only make it 500mb pagefile. 

Nothing bad having a pagefile. You can have a 16GB pagefile and it doenst change anything in your system performance. Pagefile is only used if you run out of memory or for some specific process

Limiting pagefile to 500mb doesn't help or do anything, you should actually raise that to like 4GB unless you have limited space on your HDD/SSD

On 6/9/2019 at 12:47 AM, Senior Gui said:

I was wondering if the VRAM is kind of working as a substitute for the RAM and if it's better or worse than just having dual channel RAM (did I mention I was only on single channel? kind of shitty I know nut I dont have the money to upgrade). 

No, because there would be a negative gain for doing this. The CPU cannot address VRAM directly, which makes it have worse latency than accessing system RAM directly.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2019 at 12:39 AM, gbergeron said:

Dual channel memory increases FPS mostly just when you use HD graphics (no independant graphic card)

When you use a GPU, dual channel memory increases fps only by a little...

I garantee your issue is coming from your CPU. Adding Dual Channel would still help a bit but you will still lag often very often actually

4 cores CPU are not that good anymore you need at least 8 threads, so an i7

Lag will disappear even if you still in single channel ram mode.

no single channel certainly helps a ton 

I have the same issue. When I play team deathmatch in BF1 where there's only 24 players, I get 70-80fps even on ultra, when I play conquest where there's 64 players in one match, I get 30-40 fps even on low settings 720p. CPU usage is pinned at 90-100% however but it is also pinned at 90-100% in team deathmatch, so there's a RAM speed issue.

On 6/20/2019 at 1:15 AM, Mira Yurizaki said:

No, because there would be a negative gain for doing this. The CPU cannot address VRAM directly, which makes it have worse latency than accessing system RAM directly.

I believe jayzTwocents made a video about how more VRAM makes for less RAM usage 

6 hours ago, Senior Gui said:

I believe jayzTwocents made a video about how more VRAM makes for less RAM usage

You should go find it.

Otherwise only thing system RAM is used for graphics wise is a place where the video card can store data it's not using at the moment should it run out of VRAM. But this scenario is typically not common and is only really likely if you're trying to run a game on ultra max quality at 4K on a potato GPU. If you have a GPU with enough VRAM on it, adding more isn't going to do anything to system RAM usage.