Building my Teenage Dream PC - Ricer PC Part 1

AlexTheGreatish

We've gotten pretty good at making sleepers - PC that look slow but are actually really fast... But what about a PC that looks fast and is actually slow?

Buy Phanteks Evolv X:
On Amazon: https://geni.us/6XArAr
On Newegg: https://geni.us/4tjB

Buy Seasonic Prime:
On Amazon: https://geni.us/HcS5
On Newegg: https://geni.us/KRGoh

Makes me want to build a rig with an 8800 GTX and a Quad Core 2 Extreme cpu ?

A friend of mine build his dream pc from when he was a kid. Beige computer case, CRT monitor and all. And now it just sits there.

Building it is most likely more fun than actually using it.

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Nvidia RTX 3090 FE - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 32GB DDR4 3200MHz - Samsung 980 Pro 250GB NVMe m.2 PCIE 4.0 - 970 Evo 1TB NVMe m.2 - T5 500GB External SSD - Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming (Wi-Fi 6) - Corsair H150i Pro RGB 360mm - 3 x 120mm Corsair AF120 Quiet Edition - 3 x 120mm Corsair ML120 - Corsair RM850X - Corsair Carbide 275R - Asus ROG PG279Q IPS 1440p 165hz G-Sync - Logitech G513 Linear - Logitech G502 Lightsync Wireless - Steelseries Arctic 7 Wireless

I remember back to what computer I had back in 2004, it weren't perfect.

But it had a 2.9 GHz Celeron CPU with 512 MB of RAM, though it didn't even have a graphics card, but ran well enough for Runescape back in the day.

Oh man. Brings back some memories. Definitely gotta give a few different classic games a shot from the mid-aughts LAN days:

• Serious Sam
  • ARMA
  • Battlefield 1942
  • Portal
  • Far Cry
  • GTA

Just to name a few. Portal was way on the high side of that but oh boy if you had a couple copies of Serious Sam kicking around you were the go-to friend at LAN parties. 

@LinusTech & @AlexTheGreatish

You thought that was old, take a look at this bad boy...

DSC_0749[1].JPG

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

I had this setup back in the day, first build I ever made with money from my first job.  I still have all the parts, and I still use the same case i bought new.  The Lian-Li V-2100B.  

I still have all the Danger Den water blocks for the north bridge and cpu, if someone wanted them...

Stuff to get:

Another gig of ram (3gb is just right)

Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum

2nd raptor drive and use the onboard raid.

I recently built a machine with a similar concept in mind.  It's a little more powerful than the one in the video.

Parts list:

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3

CPU: Xeon x3450 @ 4.0ghz (Delidded, liquid metal)

Cooler: Deepcool Gamaxx 400

RAM: 2x8 GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600

GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ Rx570

PSU: EVGA Supernova G3 650W (80+gold)

SSD: Team Group L5 Lite 240GB

CASE: Deepcool Matrexx 55 with addressable RGB header(no fans preinstalled)

FANS:  Deepcool RF120's (2), Deepcool RF140's (3), Generic Coolermaster 3pin fans (3)

IMG_0037.JPG

Far Cry, Half Life 2 and Doom 3 - those were the best games from that period IMO and stuff that I still enjoy firing up. I particularly enjoyed turning on dev mode in Far Cry (not something you could do on the steam version). No-CD hacks were also a common thing back then - raise your hand if you had Alcohol 52% ?

If you really want the old school + bad ass look I'd hunt down an Abit BP6 with a pair of Celerons in it. Assuming it ran right with NT you could slap a 6800 in there and game away happily.

But even that setup is still not as old as my Windows 95 box that had a Pentium 200 MMX and a Tseng Labs ET6000 in it. Not exactly a gaming power house but I did get a lot done with it and even added a burner and tape drive. There was definitely something to be said as well for firing up a game in DOS mode and having all the resources allocated directly to your game without the OS bloating the experience.

@AlexTheGreatish, I love where this is going! Definitely try to find some kind of old monitor for it (although you were trying to make it look new from the outside so maybe not). Overclocking will make  is so much better and more interesting. Maybe get Anthony to help with drivers and such (like he did with that old Thinkpad). You also NEED to find a way to get an optical drive in there and a floppy drive would also be amazing (maybe think about using a different case?). The only thing I'm a bit disappointed about is how long this will take to complete, you don't exactly have the best track record for multi-part videos (remember the desk PC?). 

What is actually supposed to go here? Some people put their specs, others put random comments or remarks about themselves or others, and there are a few who put cryptic statements.

Had to pause the video and fire up the LTT forum.  I have an Antec True Power 2.0 that is still functional and has been going non stop for almost 15 years.  It has gone from build to build and I'm not sure which build for friends and family it's in but I know it's running right now

*edit: Every now and then over the years I'd get a computer back from a friend or family member to fix upgrade or replace.... open it up and go OH THERE IT IS! I knew I still had it.

My dream PC back in 04/05 was an athlon 64 on a dfi lan party.  I was only pushing 235fsb cas2.5 or 222fsb cas2 on my athlon xp but those 64 bit chips were pushing 350+

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

This is very similar to my 'dream' build circa 2004, aka right out of high school. Except I opted for the Intel Pentium 4 3.0E (Prescott), which was a molten hot magma of a CPU. It was also originally built with an ATi Radeon 9800 Pro, later upgraded to a GeForce 6800 GT. 

The case was one of those first Apevia X-Dreamer freakish things with the thermometer badge on the front, and alien head fan grills. 

5 hours ago, pete_the_pilot said:

I recently built a machine with a similar concept in mind.  It's a little more powerful than the one in the video.

Parts list:

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3 

CPU: Xeon x3450 @ 4.0ghz (Delidded, liquid metal)

Cooler: Deepcool Gamaxx 400

RAM: 2x8 GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600

GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ Rx570

PSU: EVGA Supernova G3 650W (80+gold)

SSD: Team Group L5 Lite 240GB

CASE: Deepcool Matrexx 55 with addressable RGB header(no fans preinstalled)

FANS:  Deepcool RF120's (2), Deepcool RF140's (3), Generic Coolermaster 3pin fans (3)

IMG_0037.JPG

I have a similar system here I've been lite gaming on, X3470 @ 3.8ghz, 8GB DDR3 1600, UDP4 board instead tho, it's got some serious VRM cooling going on. I've had that Xeon sucking down 350W and the VRM heat sinks are just warm to the touch. Amazing! My system isn't as pretty though, I've got some way old water cooling on it so it'll do 4Ghz stable if I bother to find the right settings again but I just don't care as the actual difference in games is basically nothing.

5 hours ago, Luscious said:

Far Cry, Half Life 2 and Doom 3 - those were the best games from that period IMO and stuff that I still enjoy firing up. I particularly enjoyed turning on dev mode in Far Cry (not something you could do on the steam version). No-CD hacks were also a common thing back then - raise your hand if you had Alcohol 52% ?

That Cinematic Mod for HL2 pretty much sent me into a mental health crisis questioning reality because the game looked so real at 1600x1200 with all the settings as high as they'd go and 8x FSAA and all the things turned on.

Doom3 still gets me with the jump scares, still a lot of fun to play, still a fave.

Far Cry, mmmm sniping from like 1/2 way across the map. Also screw those invisible monster things.

When i was 15 i worked in a computer shop. My personal system was spec wise identical to Linus' first gaming system. Then I built a P4 2.4 GHz system when I saved up the money. Then I realizes that I wasted a bunch of money went back to my AMD 2500+ overclocked and turned the new system into a file server. Made a great server for me for the next 10 years. Outliving the AMD but i just never could use it as my main system after the 2500+.

My dream PC when I was a teen was a

Intel Pentium 4 socket 423 at 1.7GHz

256mb RD-RAM

20GB IDE HDD

IDE CD-ROM and a CD Burner

Creative Sound Blaster Live PCI sound card

Video card was either a 3dfx Voodoo 4 of 5. or ATi Rage 128 Pro

Antec PSU

Antec Case

I still remember all of the giant boxes just for a single component. Man those were the good days.

I do miss ATi All in Wonder video cards.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Honestly if you wanted a period correct awesome power supply, PC Power and Cooling were the top-notch units until they got bought out by OCZ.

Hit that PC with Need for Speed Porsche Unleashed (in my opinion the last great Need for Speed, and I checked, that game does not like anything later than XP), 2003's City Skylines, AKA Sim City 4, and the original Battlefront 2 (2005).

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

6 hours ago, Computernaut said:

you don't exactly have the best track record for multi-part videos (remember the desk PC?). 

The desk PC was from before my time, but there is a new one in the works...

No AMD Athlon pff

[EDIT]

shoutout to DOOM 3!

Are there any other more recent HDDs on the market with transparent covers? Or any at all, even older ones?

Now I really want one. For no practical use, just as showpiece.

Why not use bequiet Pro 900 case? It had rgb light, and had two 5.25 drive bay to add CD drive and floppy drive

This video reminds me of the PCs I had around that time. I got an AMD Athlon 3200+ on an Asus A8V Deluxe with a Radeon 9250, then some time later built another PC based on the Athlon X2 3800+ with an Asrock 939 Dual VSTA (which had both AGP and PCIe) and an ATI X850.
The second PC I mentioned was the first one I built myself.

I have this at home, brand new, never used ...

EDIT: it is for LGA775 :( sry. would have offered it to you.

OUt5Kzi.jpg

We're gonna need a CD player

???

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"