The New Best Gaming Laptop. - RoG Strix Scar III

AlexTheGreatish

Ermahgerd...

Aliernware!

Screwdriver specs: Long, pointy. Turns things. Some kind of metal.

Main rig: 

i9-7900x | Asus X299-Prime | 4x8GB G-Skill TridentZ @3300MHz | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB | Intel 5400S 1TB | Corsair HX1200

unRAID server:

Xeon  E5-1630v4 |  Asus X99-E WS | 4x8GB G-Skill DDR4 @2400MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB cache drive | 12TB spinning rust | Corsair RM750X

FreeNAS server:

AMD something-or-other | Asus prebuilt sadness | 8GB DDR3-1600 | 9TB magnetic storage | Potential fire threat

HTPC:

i7-4790 | GTX1650 | Dell Sadness | 12GB DDR3-1600 | Samsung 860 250GB | 1TB magnetic storage | James Loudspeaker SPL3 x2 | Corsair SF450

Fun fact, if you need a webcam, you don't need to buy a whole different laptop.............

There is this thing called a "USB webcam" that you can buy separately.

Not sure how ya'll missed this when you literally mentioned bundling one in the box only seconds before.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I made an account just to say I don't care that they removed the webcam. I haven't owned one in over 5 years. Based on the Youtube comments I think it's safe to say that I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Linus:  Apple negligently cripples it's MBP to cater to it's audience of non-tech-savvy, status-symbol-obsessed sheeple who can't comprehend that they could be getting slightly more performance in a fatter design

Also Linus:  yeah, the Strix throttles under load but it still delivers impressive CPU performance given that it isn't a fat laptop

This MBP user right now:  (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Isn't it quite unfair to compare it to the last generation of Alienware m15? They are just about to release a new one this month, just like a lot of other Gaming Laptop manufacturers.

Please do a comparison, Alex!

7 hours ago, caspar! said:

Isn't it quite unfair to compare it to the last generation of Alienware m15? They are just about to release a new one this month, just like a lot of other Gaming Laptop manufacturers.

Please do a comparison, Alex!

I'm pretty sure this refresh is just internals (i.e. 20xx GPUS, 9th gen CPUs) with the chassis remaining the same, so performance comparisons wouldn't be fair but build quality judgments are fair game.

And yeah we'll be getting the m15 ASAP

11 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

I'm pretty sure this refresh is just internals (i.e. 20xx GPUS, 9th gen CPUs) with the chassis remaining the same, so performance comparisons wouldn't be fair but build quality judgments are fair game.

And yeah we'll be getting the m15 ASAP

Any plans at looking at the refreshed Razer Blade Pro?

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

Just now, AlexTheGreatish said:

Got one otw

Hype hype! It looks really promising, seems to have fixed most of the complaints that were in the old blade pro review. That and the Mac Pro reviews are the ones I'm anticipating the most.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

Where does one even get an Asus laptop speced the way you want it.

I will be buying a gaming laptop this year and every time I go to Asus's store site, which is garbage, they have a very limited number of build varieties and almost never have the higher end component builds in a given generation. Amazon and Newegg have similar issues...

Honestly, if it means not having to camp 3 different sites, I'll just get a blade advanced despite the price, max q card and  the sub par thermals and clock speeds (i get that the video is a 15" blade vs a 17" Zephyrus but Asus generally has better thermals from what I've seen).

On 6/5/2019 at 6:54 PM, Enderman said:

Fun fact, if you need a webcam, you don't need to buy a whole different laptop.............

There is this thing called a "USB webcam" that you can buy separately.

Not sure how ya'll missed this when you literally mentioned bundling one in the box only seconds before.

Yes I agree. New USB cams look far better anyways than the cheap ones stuck inside laptops.

On 6/5/2019 at 4:18 PM, AlexTheGreatish said:

With a 240Hz display the Asus Strix SCAR III is a treat to game on.. but is it good enough to beat the Razer Blade and Alienware m15?

Buy the SCAR III
On Amazon: https://geni.us/Ykag0D
On Newegg: https://geni.us/4HOwG0

Those links do not take us to a Scar III, and the pricing seems off.

Over on Bilibili a representative from ROG says that a white version will be available later. 

Screenshot_20190610-011826.jpg

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

What the hell is it with these crusades? First hate on the disc drives, then USB2 I've used to connect the external disc drive once they did indeed remove the built-in ones and now you fight for webcams that many people just tape over or disconnect anyway? Ugh, gotta love the vocal minority ? .

On 6/8/2019 at 12:21 AM, markjohnsonii said:

Yes I agree. New USB cams look far better anyways than the cheap ones stuck inside laptops.

And then gotta 3d print a stand that don't cover the screen. 

On 6/6/2019 at 2:13 PM, jeykool said:

Where does one even get an Asus laptop speced the way you want it.

I will be buying a gaming laptop this year and every time I go to Asus's store site, which is garbage, they have a very limited number of build varieties and almost never have the higher end component builds in a given generation. Amazon and Newegg have similar issues...

Honestly, if it means not having to camp 3 different sites, I'll just get a blade advanced despite the price, max q card and  the sub par thermals and clock speeds (i get that the video is a 15" blade vs a 17" Zephyrus but Asus generally has better thermals from what I've seen).

Agree on the frustration of not being able to actually buy an Asus as one would like.  You need to luck out that some of the very large retailers has configured the laptop just as you want it, and get it in stock, and with the right price.  Not the best purchasing experience.

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to buy this laptop at the MSRP (I9 cpu, 32 GB ram, etc) for 2500. However I can't find it anywhere; anyone have any ideas?

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/2/2019 at 12:10 AM, Lex0314 said:

I would love to buy this laptop at the MSRP (I9 cpu, 32 GB ram, etc) for 2500. However I can't find it anywhere; anyone have any ideas?

I've been searching everywhere. The Asus website still advertises this as the i9 version, but even their own store only has the i7-9750H. Once I get out of work, I'll see if I can't get an email or phone confirmation.