Need some NVLink Answers

phongle123

Hello, I've got some questions about NVLink and we like to know some of these. Links would be great too. I've been searching and not getting much answers.

1) According to this article from PugetSystems [Link here] the Quadro NVLink works with the RTX cards. Since the Quadro NVLink is the one that has a 2 slotter. However, I think I've read somewhere that the Quadro NVLinks have much higher bandwidth than the RTX NVLinks. Will this impact, take away, or else adversely affect performance or functionality?

2) Following up on #1, I read that the NVLinks are separated into: Quadro, Titan RTX, and RTX for 2080 Ti and lower. I think I read somewhere that the Quadros are able to have a 150GB/s transfer and the RTXs are able to have a 100GB/s transfer. Is this limitation due to the GPUs themselves or due to the NVLink where the Quadro has the 150GB/s and the RTX has the 100GB/s? Adversely, are the NVLINK for Titan RTX and the RTX for 2080 Ti and below exactly the same or is the Titan RTX Nvlink better? Because it's like 150$ more.
3) Is it possible to do 3 or 4 way NVLink?

4) I asked about this a while ago and someone stated that Nvidia has not enabled the ability to pool memory yet via NVLink. Are we able to or not yet? (I do not want any discussion about whether or not 2080 Ti can Pool memory or not)

Thank you in advance.

RTX cards uses old fashion SLI, the only difference is that now they standardized the NVLink connector across the board to make production unified and thus cheaper so RTX cards including the RTX TITAN are all limited to SLI functionality.

True NVLink is still only available on Quadro line up and yes on true Quadro NVLink you can stack 3 or 4 cards and even stack memory among other things.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2080tis can do only dual nVlink. 

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

I was off about one thing and I did question it. It seems like the Titan RTX and the 2080 Ti and Below share the same NVLink connector. The 150$ difference was something I saw off of eBay for 220$ vs the 79.99$ price I remembered. After looking at the official NVidia page for the Titan RTX it shows a 79.99$ price tag. This leads me to believe that they are the same.

@Princess Luna

Furthermore, when you look on the Titan RTX page it states, "Double the effective GPU memory capacity to 48 GB and scale performance with up to 100 GB/s in total bandwidth of data transfer utilizing the NVIDIA NVLink™ technology." Looking at the Quadro 6000 it states that it can, "Connect two Quadro RTX 8000s together with a Quadro RTX 8000 NVLink HB Bridge for up to 100 GB/s of bandwidth and a combined 96 GB of GDDR6 memory to tackle your largest rendering, AI, virtual reality, or visualization workloads."

From this article [Link here] it is stated that 2080 Ti have 100GB/s and the 2080 have 50GB/s bandwidth. So this probably means that the bandwidth capability is dictated by the GPUs. This is also why 2080 Ti's are able to Pool Memory unofficially. This feature seems to be locked by NVidia on the 2080 Ti cards. While the Titan RTX and the Quadro's can Pool Memory and they are also rated at 100GB/s bandwidth. Thought I can't seem to find the article for the 2080 Ti Memory Pooling anymore.

@SavageNeo @Princess Luna

Could you give me an article that shows more than 2? I have not been able to find one.

All this has to do with the number of lanes of the NVlink (in the same way as PCIe). I think they are called "sub link". 

For desktop ifaik, the 2080ti has 1 connector (and 2 "lanes", while the 2080 has 1 connector and 1 lane), while recent Quadro has 2 connectors (4 lanes total), and it is not possible to use more than 2 cards together.

Now on the HPC side, there are 4 and even 8 "cards" on a single node ("pc"), BUT they are not PCIe cards form-factor, they use SMX2 weird connectors which wire PCIe lanes and NVlink lanes. Each GPU has 6 NVlink lanes in these cases.