rufus partition scheme mbr or gpt (win10)

Faisal A

rufus partition scheme mbr or gpt (win10). I have an MSI a55m-e33 mobi with UEFI.

If you want me to see your reply, please tag me @Faisal A

GPT. If it gives you problems then you can try legacy MBR.

You shouldn't have any issues though.

Note that if your boot drive is >2TB then GPT is required.

3 hours ago, Faisal A said:

rufus partition scheme mbr or gpt (win10). I have an MSI a55m-e33 mobi with UEFI.

Use MBR if your system runs on the old legacy BIOS, or you have disabled UEFI or enabled CSM.

Use GPT if your system runs on the modern UEFI.

• Window Vista pre-SP1 and older version does not support UEFI, and so it needs to be disabled. So GPT is not an option.
  • Windows Vista SP1 to Windows 7 has iffy UEFI support. Miles will vary. UEFI was all new back then in the PC space.
  • Windows 8 and 10 fully support UEFI, and so UEFI should be enabled (unless you have a specific reason not to enable it, such has sporting a legacy hardware), and GPT must be used.

UEFI can only work with GPT.

BIOS can only work with MBR.

If you are installing Windows 10, I recommend using Microsoft's Media Creation Tool it will setup everything correctly, and get you stated with the latestversion of Windows 10. https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

@GoodBytes @Windows7ge Can I convert a GPT boot disk to an MBR boot disk ? Also, I dont have a windows 10 license yet but I do have an ISO. I have a running copy of windows 7, so can I create an ISO image from Win7 ?

21 minutes ago, Faisal A said:

@GoodBytes @Windows7ge Can I convert a GPT boot disk to an MBR boot disk ? Also, I dont have a windows 10 license yet but I do have an ISO. I have a running copy of windows 7, so can I create an ISO image from Win7 ?

No. You'll  need to wipe everything like if you got the drive out of the box when you purchased it to convert it.

(Technically, you can convert it, but the boot process works differently between UEFI and BIOS and that needs to be recreated).

You can create the ISO image from Windows 7. Yes.

Your CPU is from 2016, I assume you got your system then. Why didn't you get the Windows 10 free upgrade offer?

1 hour ago, Faisal A said:

Post-installation, no. Pre-installation, yes.

You can.

@GoodBytes I actually likw win7 over win10 and probably will never upgrade. I am going to use win10 on my new PC if I can't get Win7.

5 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

You can create the ISO image from Windows 7. Yes.

How do I do this ?

4 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Post-installation, no. Pre-installation, yes

How do I do this ? Is it quicker to re-do bootable USB or to fix it ?

11 minutes ago, Faisal A said:

How do I do this ? Is it quicker to re-do bootable USB or to fix it ?

A little research says you can install Windows 7 to a GPT disk but it must be a 64-bit version of Windows. So you may not need to redo the thumb drive. If there's any other technicalities to that GoodBytes may have the answer.