going from sata ssd - > m.2 pci 3 or 4.

kiwibacon

so with ryzen on the border i will have an m.2 slot on my motherboard.

currently using a sata ssd 500mb/transfer speed.

current m.2 pci 3 ssd is 2300mb/s

and rumor of pci 4 is 5500 mb/s

any advantage for gaming on these higher transfer rates????

3800X, Corsiar 32gig 3200mhz LPX, Asus Hero X570. 2080ti black edition

The difference in numbers in huge, but for gaming and home use it's not that big of a difference.

It becomes a huge difference if you make really heavy use of your SSD, but that's not the case for most people.

I personally consider it a luxury, get it only if the extra money isn't a big deal for you. If your budget is strict, bigger size > nvme

5 hours ago, Enter Plasma said:

The difference in numbers in huge, but for gaming and home use it's not that big of a difference.

It becomes a huge difference if you make really heavy use of your SSD, but that's not the case for most people.

I personally consider it a luxury, get it only if the extra money isn't a big deal for you. If your budget is strict, bigger size > nvme

Gaming machine only. But money isnt an issue. Do you think any benefit for loading times.??? Or near to 0???

3800X, Corsiar 32gig 3200mhz LPX, Asus Hero X570. 2080ti black edition

11 hours ago, kiwibacon said:

Gaming machine only. But money isnt an issue. Do you think any benefit for loading times.??? Or near to 0???

It's noticeable but not incredible. It is specially noticeable on some games that take forever to load - but only some, not everyone. For example my laptop has 500gb NVMe but Battlefront 2 still takes forever to load because of the CPU

If money is not an issue, yeah go for it. 1tb nvme is very nice.

No, you won't notice a difference. Even current SATA vs NVMe makes very little difference for gaming because it's almost always disk latency and the CPU that are the bottlenecks, not raw sequential transfer speeds. Indeed outside of benchmarks, file copies and certain very high IO bound tasks (processing 4k or 8k low compression footage for example) you probably couldn't spot the difference between a 970 Pro NVMe and a 860 EVO SATA in a blind test.