1080p 240hz or 1440p 165hz

mattdmg

I have been looking to upgrade my 1080p 144hz monitor to a G-sync monitor.  I play a lot of games where I am getting way below 144fps to take advantage of the 144hz reduced screen tearing. I also can't stand v-sync's input latency no matter what game I'm playing. I am stuck between a MSI monitor that is 1080p 240hz and a Dell monitor that is 1440p 165hz.

I have an i7 4790k, 16GB 1600mhz, and a GTX 1070. Would I be okay to run 1440p?

The 1080p 240hz feels like less of an upgrade versus 165hz 1440p. But with that said, I am not sure If I care much for the resolution upgrade which causes decreased fps. Overall I am mainly looking to get G-sync display but I cannot decide.

1440p 144hz is very hard to hit. I have two of them, and in most triple A games I get closer to 80-90hz. If you have a 10series or newer GPU you can manually enable gsync with a free sync monitor. I do this with both of my monitors and have no issues.

also, I think this is the best 1080p monitor you can get if you’re interested. 

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/asus/vg279q

24 minutes ago, Saksham said:

what games do you play?

I play a lot of Arma 3, Dota 2, Rainbox Six Siege, DayZ SA, Overwatch, and Mordhau. 

25 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

1440p 144hz is very hard to hit. I have two of them, and in most triple A games I get closer to 80-90hz. If you have a 10series or newer GPU you can manually enable gsync with a free sync monitor. I do this with both of my monitors and have no issues.

also, I think this is the best 1080p monitor you can get if you’re interested. 

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/asus/vg279q

Are Freesync and G-sync basically the same in terms of performance? Especially when using it on an Nvidia GPU?

1 minute ago, mattdmg said:

I play a lot of Arma 3, Dota 2, Rainbox Six Siege, DayZ SA, Overwatch, and Mordhau. 

Are Freesync and G-sync basically the same in terms of performance? Especially when using it on an Nvidia GPU?

Yes, they are both technologies that prevent tearing. Gsync has a wider range where the technology prevents screen testing. Some freesync monitors have lower ranges where the screen tearing will be prevented, such as it will work between 40-144fps. Gsync also has rhis limitation, however gsync and better vsync monitors will implement low frame rate compensation to make frame rates below the range work. I.E. if it was 38fps the monitor would display each frame twice in the second window to have an effective frame rate of 76. 

What I would look for in a monitor are an actual 80% response time under 7ms (manufacture response times are BS), a screen brightness over 300 nitts, and the screen panel type you like (I like IPS and VA panels).

for fps get higher refresh rate. but the overall quality of 1080p 240hz panels is poor as they are usually TN panels. 

personally i would get 1440p 144hz