Apple accused of selling user data

I'll say it again, no EULA overrules GDRP. Meaning if this has been done to any EU users, Apple was violating EU privacy laws. And it's just a very shitty thing to keep saying how much you care about privacy and then sell full people names and addresses.

1 hour ago, justpoet said:

Actually, what law allows is exactly what is at issue here.

As for misrepresentation, common knowledge is also included in that for advertisement, such as that you can send your data places with a web browser or an app, such as interacting on social media.  Apple saying their phone is private isn't misrepresentation.  The phone is private…the apps you added and then told to take your data aren't.

It will be up to courts to decide but an argument can be made that the average user would take Apple's privacy notice to imply (and implication is important) that everything allowed on the device (since it is a closed system and only apps Apple allows can be on the store) would protect their privacy. Apple could very easily demand what app developers can and cannot do with data gathered from iPhones. I don't think they should have to, but if the court believes that is what Apple is implying then they could be in a bit of trouble.

1 minute ago, RejZoR said:

I'll say it again, no EULA overrules GDRP. Meaning if this has been done to any EU users, Apple was violating EU privacy laws. And it's just a very shitty thing to keep saying how much you care about privacy and then sell full people names and addresses.

Unless the EU says that phone OS developers are 100% responsible for the data collection practices of the 3rd party apps on their store (which would be a monumentally shitty thing to do) then Apple is in the clear as far as GDRP goes.

ITT: If information slipped out it's users fault, Apple can't control what other apps do. 

IOT: Apple is by far the most secure and you should use Apple products.

The number of people defending Apple for having to not control 3rd party apps on their OS in their closed ecosystem is ridiculous. If you guarantee safety you absolutely are the one responsible for that. If Apple doesn't want apps sending data they would have blocked the permission on OS level for doing so. 

With all of that said, this is definitely a get rich quick scheme. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

53 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

ITT: If information slipped out it's users fault, Apple can't control what other apps do. 

IOT: Apple is by far the most secure and you should use Apple products.

The number of people defending Apple for having to not control 3rd party apps on their OS in their closed ecosystem is ridiculous. If you guarantee safety you absolutely are the one responsible for that. If Apple doesn't want apps sending data they would have blocked the permission on OS level for doing so. 

With all of that said, this is definitely a get rich quick scheme. 

The thing is, given how tightly Apple controls their ecosystem, saying they can't control what 3rd party apps to is total BS.

Also, what have 3rd party devs to do with it when iTunes is in question here? That's Apple, not "3rd party".

35 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

The thing is, given how tightly Apple controls their ecosystem, saying they can't control what 3rd party apps to is total BS.

Also, what have 3rd party devs to do with it when iTunes is in question here? That's Apple, not "3rd party".

The 3rd party comment was for litetally every 2nd comment that was talking about that part. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

8 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

Apple is being sued by customers for unlawfully selling information about their iTunes purchases as well as personal data.  This data allegedly was sold to 3rd parties, which resulted in the plaintiffs getting "a barrage of unwanted junk mail at their home addresses and e-mail inboxes"

my girlfriend is 100% a victim of this. She used Apple products for YEARS until I told her about Apple's continued and blatant dishonesty and shadowy string pulling.

I'm not surprised by this in the least though

5e7f0fa1f21dfefbaddce768eeaf69fa.jpg

Sorry about my spelling sometimes. My $1200 laptop has a $2 keyboard.

15 minutes ago, BleachedFur said:

my girlfriend is 100% a victim of this. She used Apple products for YEARS until I told her about Apple's continued and blatant dishonesty and shadowy string pulling.

I'm not surprised by this in the least

Everyone does it. Let’s not start that bullshit. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

This is the entire fucking reason I owned an iPhone. Now I have no reason to stay.

2 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Ah, yes; the good ol' "Apple can't do it but Google can".

Funny that, but I distinctly remember Apple's entire shtick being about privacy... interesting that people would get annoyed more by someone who claims to do good lying to your face...

5 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

only one claims that they don't and makes huge billboard about it.

Small hint: it's a fruit and it ain't a blackberry 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

9 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Just because "everyone does it", it doesn't make it right.

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

Because it is the third parties and data brokers selling the data in question.  If you read the case document, all their evidence is purchasing from internet data brokers, not from Apple, and mentioning that data came from Apple through third party apps.  That's why third parties are being discussed so much.

6 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

only one claims that they don't and makes huge billboard about it.

Small hint: it's a fruit and it ain't a blackberry 

That’s what I’m arguing! Saying that Apple is “dishonest” is nearly saying “at least Google steals data without lying”. 

4 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Just because "everyone does it", it doesn't make it right.

I didn’t say that. In fact, check my last comment in the thread.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

Remember when info "leaked" that MasterCard is giving (selling) Google info on purchases done through this card. I don't remember ever allowing MasterCard to give my purchase info to fucking Google. And yet they were doing it. And frankly I don't know if anything has been even done about that. Heard about it and then... just nothing.

28 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

well then why haven't I been getting an assload of spam mail and whatnot? I've been an Android only person my whole life.

1 minute ago, BleachedFur said:

well then why haven't I been getting an assload of spam mail and whatnot? I've been an Android only person my whole life.

I don’t get any either. Doesn’t mean that it’s just Apple’s or Google’s fault that it happens. It’s literally everyone in the chain. The larger and more important issue here is that the consumer is the only one without protection or return. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

the thing i want to know is if this is data from consumers who agreed to share data with Apple. when you first open iTunes it prompts you.

like this:

346032905_Screenshot2019-06-01at10_04_08.png.cc36437cad9b0ba2908c4742877d30a4.png

i would like to know if the data is from people who agreed.

She/Her

7 minutes ago, BleachedFur said:

I wasn't getting any either. Until I stopped using GMail. Then I started getting fuck ton of spam in that GMail account that wasn't getting any for years. Every now and then I check it and I have like 300 spam mails in the Spam folder basically every month. Before when i was actively using it, I rarely got 1 or 2 in like 6 months.

24 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Remember when info "leaked" that MasterCard is giving (selling) Google info on purchases done through this card. I don't remember ever allowing MasterCard to give my purchase info to fucking Google. And yet they were doing it. And frankly I don't know if anything has been even done about that. Heard about it and then... just nothing.

Don't remember MasterCard making ads about how their greatest selling point is their customers privacy.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

5 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Don't remember MasterCard making ads about how their greatest selling point is their customers privacy.

That's not what I was trying to say. What I was trying to say is that no one gives a shit about our privacy and we need to take care of it as much as we can.

Also, this thing with Apple makes things far worse since they say how much they care about our privacy. Saying that and then not standing by your words can be devastating for your business. Unless you're Facebook. Coz they can cock up things on daily basis and nothing happens to their business...

8 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

That was my initial impression too.  But then again any decent lawyer will advise against starting a court case if there is no chance of winning it.  So there must be some evidence that data is indeed sold by Apple. 

You include Apple hoping that they'll throw money at it to make it go away, rather than let it go to trial.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

55 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Every now and then I check it and I have like 300 spam mails in the Spam folder basically every month

I get spam in my gmail but i have filters that mark it as read and sends it straight to the trash. Most of it is just from sites I signed up for because I was desperate and less experienced.

10 hours ago, rockking1379 said:

If this does turn out to be true it will no doubt damage the brand in an irreparable way. That’s been one of the “arguments” of iOS over android. Less data collected and sold. Well allegedly 

Doubt it to be honest. Apple is too big to face brand damage. And not to mention there are a certain amount of users that prefers Apple/iPhone.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280