Slight confusion on Motherboard standoffs

I'm working on my new PC, CPU cooler spinning and RAM lighting up, but when I put the mono in the case, I realize that I dont have any standoff screws. The motherboard seems secure, and I would feel comfortable keeping it like that, but should there be screws for the standoffs?

Yes you should feel compelled to use standoffs.  The standoffs are there to keep the bottom of your motherboard (it's full of metal traces/contacts and solder'y bits that connect things) from touching case metal and shorting, causing a nice flash with a burning smell and a motherboard (along with maybe other stuff) that fried.

The standoffs typically come with the case but if you lost yours or didn't keep them from the case when it was new, they're very cheap to buy, so go do that (online like amazon or local computer store maybe even a BestBuy would have 'em).

1 minute ago, LogicWeasel said:

Yes you should feel compelled to use standoffs.  The standoffs are there to keep the bottom of your motherboard (it's full of metal traces/contacts and solder'y bits that connect things) from touching case metal and shorting, causing a nice flash with a burning smell and a motherboard (along with maybe other stuff) that fried.

It seems that the case came with standoffs preinstalled, as the motherboard is off the case. I'm talking about screws for the motherboard to hold it down on these, which I can not find in neither the motherboard box not the case box. 

3 minutes ago, OtterlyDumb said:

It seems that the case came with standoffs preinstalled, as the motherboard is off the case. I'm talking about screws for the motherboard to hold it down on these, which I can not find in neither the motherboard box not the case box. 

Hardware comes with the case. Unless you bought the case second hard, it will be in a bag or box somewhere.

What case is it?

4 minutes ago, OtterlyDumb said:

you should 100% lock it in place with atleast some screws. one shift and its a nice lightningshow and alot of dead hardware. 

4 minutes ago, OtterlyDumb said:

case screws are often hidden in the drive bay

2 minutes ago, badreg said:

Hardware comes with the case. Unless you bought the case second hard, it will be in a bag or box somewhere.

What case is it?

I checked all of the bags, none of the screws seemed to fit. I'm using the Carbide SPEC 04

3 minutes ago, OtterlyDumb said:

I checked all of the bags, none of the screws seemed to fit. I'm using the Carbide SPEC 04

Read the manual.

Also pro-tip: Try if a screw fits without the motherboard in the way. Just try to screw in the screw into the standoff. With motherboard in the way it is harder to judge if the screw fits.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

1 minute ago, Origami Cactus said:

Read the manual.

Also pro-tip: Try if a screw fits without the motherboard in the way. Just try to screw in the screw into the standoff. With motherboard in the way it is harder to judge if the screw fits.

I've read both manuals, and I've tried with and without the motherboard with all screws that were provided.

Just now, OtterlyDumb said:

I've read both manuals, and I've tried with and without the motherboard with all screws that were provided.

image.thumb.png.1b7fd2c073e27a90ec625261a7a8cd73.png

Those don't fit?

1 minute ago, Origami Cactus said:

image.thumb.png.1b7fd2c073e27a90ec625261a7a8cd73.png

Those don't fit?

Oh my god I swear I looked at that page a million times and I cant believe I didn't see that. Just tried, and they worked. The bag was in the manual for the motherboard, so I didn't see them to try them out. Super sorry, thank you!

9 hours ago, OtterlyDumb said:

Oh my god I swear I looked at that page a million times and I cant believe I didn't see that. Just tried, and they worked. The bag was in the manual for the motherboard, so I didn't see them to try them out. Super sorry, thank you!

No prob! Enjoy your new build!