Best way to make money over the summer with computers?

Retro_R

I have been seeing a lot of place that if you want a cheap gaming pc, you should put a low profile graphics card into a dell optiplex, and I've been seeing quite a lot on craigslist for some reasonable prices. I've been thinking of buying these and putting a low profile graphics card in there then flip it for cash over the summer. Since at the moment I can't get a job at the moment (at least all the jobs I can get aren't really for me) I was thinking of doing this for money. But what did you guys do for money involving pcs in teen years?

I'd imagine the profit margins are going to be pretty low. Also if you're doing this over Craigslist, I'd imagine people may have second thoughts the moment they see "some kid" trying to sell them a computer. This is on top of the inherit danger of selling on Craigslist.

All these kids trying to flip computers.  Do yard work; earn some money.

I doubt you'll be able to make the kind of money you want and if anything goes wrong they'll be calling you up about the systems.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

Use CPU and GPU mining to mine low level coins...use the BTC exchange market and sell your low level coins for small amounts of BTC.  I don't make much but rather than my PCs sitting off when I leave for work they all start mining until I get home.  I make more than the electric bill costs for it /shrug - and if you are young enough your parents pay that ;)

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

14 minutes ago, Retro_R said:

I have been seeing a lot of place that if you want a cheap gaming pc, you should put a low profile graphics card into a dell optiplex, and I've been seeing quite a lot on craigslist for some reasonable prices. I've been thinking of buying these and putting a low profile graphics card in there then flip it for cash over the summer. Since at the moment I can't get a job at the moment (at least all the jobs I can get aren't really for me) I was thinking of doing this for money. But what did you guys do for money involving pcs in teen years?

I got a job completely unrelated. Went and worked at a bike repair shop for the summer and a bit during the school year to buy/upgrade my first desktop PC. ended up with an i3 2100 and GTX 760 system in late 2014. Used that for a little under a year. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

Also want to point out that low profile video cards are hard to find for anything other than bottom-tier GPUs, and those bottom-tier GPUs are already a tough sell for many since you could get something much better for not a whole lot more. At best, throwing one in there might be good for a kid's first gaming PC or someone looking for an HTPC (at which point they may already be doing their own thing), but not much else.

Risky business, not much profit. If you want to make money with computers, your best bet is repair. I'm 15 and have decent money repairing computers in my neighborhood, and depending on where you live you might be able to get a lot of business. Repair often costs hundreds of dollars that people don't want to pay, so, as a teenager, you can just get in there at a really low price and fix all the computers people don't want to cough up a couple Benjamins for.

"uhhhhhhhhhh yeah id go with the 2600 its a good value for the money"

If you're able to get some money right now, and you live in a decent sized city, yuor best bet is to buy PC's off ebay and either part them out or sell them complete locally. But, honestly, there are profitable things to be flipping, just takes a little research to see what your market wants and what you can get cheap. 

Don't focus on making money with PC's. It's the wrong way to go about it. Go get a regular job. You're a teenager, you're not going to get your dream job now. 

5 hours ago, Mr. horse said:

I would not want to do this, the risk is extremely high. Someone will ether brake the system or not know how to use it and blame you and your up shit creek without a paddle.

I would stick to tech support or ebay/amzon affiliate marketing.

i used to make about 250$ a week just posting good deals I found on eBay on one forum.

Really, once it's sold it doesn't matter what they do to the system. Tech support from a teen is even less likely than a purchase. 

5 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

I'd imagine the profit margins are going to be pretty low. Also if you're doing this over Craigslist, I'd imagine people may have second thoughts the moment they see "some kid" trying to sell them a computer. This is on top of the inherit danger of selling on Craigslist.

Eh, as a teen he doesn't need to make much per unit. I'd imagine even a few hundred a month in profit would seem like a sizable sum to him. 

Teenagers can still present themselves well, and risk can easily be mitigated. Craigslist isn't THAT dangerous, especially if you're selling computers. 

21 minutes ago, 2SidedPolygon said:

Risky business, not much profit. If you want to make money with computers, your best bet is repair. I'm 15 and have decent money repairing computers in my neighborhood, and depending on where you live you might be able to get a lot of business. Repair often costs hundreds of dollars that people don't want to pay, so, as a teenager, you can just get in there at a really low price and fix all the computers people don't want to cough up a couple Benjamins for.

You must live in a pretty small town with no decent shops if repairs are costing hundreds of dollars. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, dizmo said:

You must live in a pretty small town with no decent shops if repairs are costing hundreds of dollars. 

Currently, yes, but in my experience even when I used to live in a larger town it was at least around the 100 mark.

"uhhhhhhhhhh yeah id go with the 2600 its a good value for the money"

17 minutes ago, dizmo said:

If you're able to get some money right now, and you live in a decent sized city, yuor best bet is to buy PC's off ebay and either part them out or sell them complete locally. But, honestly, there are profitable things to be flipping, just takes a little research to see what your market wants and what you can get cheap. 

Don't focus on making money with PC's. It's the wrong way to go about it. Go get a regular job. You're a teenager, you're not going to get your dream job now. 

Really, once it's sold it doesn't matter what they do to the system. Tech support from a teen is even less likely than a purchase. 

Eh, as a teen he doesn't need to make much per unit. I'd imagine even a few hundred a month in profit would seem like a sizable sum to him. 

Teenagers can still present themselves well, and risk can easily be mitigated. Craigslist isn't THAT dangerous, especially if you're selling computers. 

the risk here is he'd be liable if it breaks and if he cant reimburse and someone takes him to court or whatever what happens then ? 

5 minutes ago, Norwegiantweaker said:

the risk here is he'd be liable if it breaks and if he cant reimburse and someone takes him to court or whatever what happens then ? 

No, he wouldn't. You can simply sell as is, final sale, etc. There's a multitude of ways one can get around that. Not only that, he doesn't have to give refunds, as he's not an actual business. Is anyone going to pay the $250+, plus the days wages to take him to small claims court for something likely worth not much more? Highly, highly unlikely. As someone who's sold hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of product on Craigslist over the years, it simply isn't going to happen.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

No, he wouldn't. You can simply sell as is, final sale, etc. There's a multitude of ways one can get around that. Not only that, he doesn't have to give refunds, as he's not an actual business. Is anyone going to pay the $250+, plus the days wages to take him to small claims court for something likely worth not much more? Highly, highly unlikely. As someone who's sold hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of product on Craigslist over the years, it simply isn't going to happen.

does not work like that over here i guess i didn't take into account that laws are different all over. you can even buy a car for whatever amount and come back with it because it wasn't exactly as advertised as is etc doesn't count lol 

2 hours ago, Mooshi said:

You'd make more money flipping burgers part time.

Depends how you calculate it. He'd do less actual work with his plan, but he'd likely make more money working an entry level job...with the side effect of greatly increased hourly investment.

4 minutes ago, Mr. horse said:

This is not how things work in the real world. He might be able to get out of refunding but chances are the person he pissed off will bad month him And make life hard fore him.

Sure is. I've had many people damage something after buying it, or say they didn't receive something in their order when they've simply either misplaced it or thrown it out with the packaging materials. If I know I've included it, then I don't budge. They're on their own. You'll never be able to please everyone, and I won't take the financial hit for others stupidity. It's very unlikely that it'd ever get to the point you're alluding to.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

18 hours ago, Tristerin said:

Use CPU and GPU mining to mine low level coins...use the BTC exchange market and sell your low level coins for small amounts of BTC.  I don't make much but rather than my PCs sitting off when I leave for work they all start mining until I get home.  I make more than the electric bill costs for it /shrug - and if you are young enough your parents pay that ;)

Huh..interesting ideal....might look into this.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

19 hours ago, Retro_R said:

at least all the jobs I can get aren't really for me

I worked jobs that looking back I would rather shit in my hands and clap then do again. 

Just go up your local high street or whatever with a CV and find someone who will employ you for the summer months 

I make intelligent lights do cool things

On 5/28/2019 at 5:25 PM, 2SidedPolygon said:

Risky business, not much profit.

It's risky for sure. Depending on how seriously you take it, you'll also get very little free time.

Profit is also highly dependent. You make money when something sells, and only when something sells in a business like that. When going in, you stand to make a lot or lose a lot. It can easily go either way, it's not a standard 9-5 job at a store or fast food place where you can take time off and still get paid, that's for sure. But if you do it right, you can make more money doing it than you can working retail or fast food.

On 5/28/2019 at 5:49 PM, dizmo said:

This ^

You'll have to do a fair bit of research to find out what's worth buying with the intent to flip. Like I said, you'll likely not have much free time in a business such as this.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Snip

I know a person who flips houses and cars. He is rolling in dough. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Of you feel confident you can make the work look really good and leave the buyer with a professional looking cable managed clean ready to use product... Why not try it out?

If you cannot do that I'd bet it's gonna be a tough ride.

Are you super expert in any software or games? Maybe you can do instructional classes instead? 

I would love some coaching on My CSGO game.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

1 hour ago, NineEyeRon said:

I would love some coaching on My CSGO game.

Just keep playing on it, I haven't played in ages but I think hitting F1 or something at the start of the game gives a good range of guns to use. 

Don't play the bomb diffusing games, do the death-match ones, more action. See if friends at work/social circles also play to game in private matches - bit more fun and helps as they can give tips

I make intelligent lights do cool things

Buddy, you're probably best off getting another job. You'll grow to hate computers if you work with them for a living.