Gigabyte X570 Master VRM analysis out is OP

Firewrath9

I think this is important enough count as news.

Gigabyte's X570 Master uses a true 16 phase controller, with 70A powerstages in a 12+2 setup. Buildzoid analysed in this GN video,

Gigabyte also annouced a 16 phase (vcore) X570 Extreme, and if it has the same 70A powerstages, then it would be the most powerful & best VRM for consumer use ever (IMO better than the 28 phases on the Z77 due to true 16 phase and better powerstages)

https://videocardz.com/press-release/gigabyte-announces-x570-aorus-xtreme-motherboard-with-16-phase-vrm

The flagship X570 AORUS XTREME motherboard boasts a 16-phase, all Infineon digital power design with each phase capable of managing up to 70A for lower impedance and improved balance.

70A??  Thats more than the IR3579 which is the flagship power stage by Infineon...

Adding X570 Gigabyte extreme, master, X570 MSI meg creation, ace, godlike, GPC, GE, GP, ASRock Taichi

oh and X570 extreme has 12 rear io USB ports, 6 USB 3.0, 4 usb 2.0, 2 USB 3.1, and the heatsink is FULLY FINNED

(I could also use some help with the X570 list)

Oh and ASRock is making a RX570 w/ TB3

Prices have been added for GB to my list

I have this feeling AMD motherboards won't be cheaper than Intel ones this gen.

GAMING PC CPU: AMD 3800X Motherboard: Asus STRIX X570-E GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 3080 GAMING OC RAM: 16GB G.Skill 3600MHz/CL14  PSU: Corsair RM850x Case: NZXT MESHIFY 2 XL DARK TG Cooling: EK Velocity + D5 pump + 360mm rad + 280mm rad Monitor: AOC 27" QHD 144Hz Keyboard: Corsair K70 Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Elite Audio: Bose QC35 II
WHAT MY GF INHERITED CPU: Intel i7-6700K (4.7GHz @ 1.39v) Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro GPU: Asus GTX 1070 8GB RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury Hard Drive: WD Black NVMe SSD 512GB Power Supply: XFX PRO 550W  Cooling: Corsair H115i Case: NZXT H700 White

So, high end boards have the ability to push insane power to these new CPUs, despite their Newfound efficiency that Dr su boasted. The only thing I can think of that would require this is extreme overclocking by wide margins, and that would only be possible if they fixed the voltage curve problems Zen and Zen + had. There's a lot to look forward to 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

9 minutes ago, CiBi said:

I have this feeling AMD motherboards won't be cheaper than Intel ones this gen.

The MSI Godlike was being talked about at around $800 from one of the articles I read earlier....ouch.

I hope they don't go too over the top with the motherboard pricing cause I don't want to pay mad money for this 12 core system.

2 hours ago, fasauceome said:

So, high end boards have the ability to push insane power to these new CPUs, despite their Newfound efficiency that Dr su boasted. The only thing I can think of that would require this is extreme overclocking by wide margins, and that would only be possible if they fixed the voltage curve problems Zen and Zen + had. There's a lot to look forward to 

"Efficiency" is relative, both on an architecture-to-architecture perspective, and also along different segments of the voltage / frequency curve. 

Chips that are incredibly power efficient at the 2.0-3.0 GHz range (e.g. Rome server chips) may still end up tripping your power breaker if you try to push 4.5-5 GHz on them.

1 hour ago, MeatFeastMan said:

The MSI Godlike was being talked about at around $800 from one of the articles I read earlier....ouch.

I hope they don't go too over the top with the motherboard pricing cause I don't want to pay mad money for this 12 core system.

Even with the motherboard being that expensive you're looking at a cheaper price than the Intel CPU alone...9_9

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

16 minutes ago, thorhammerz said:

"Efficiency" is relative, both on an architecture-to-architecture perspective, and also along different segments of the voltage / frequency curve. 

Chips that are incredibly power efficient at the 2.0-3.0 GHz range (e.g. Rome server chips) may still up tripping your power breaker if you try to push 4.5-5 GHz on them.

Low efficiency would be one story, but if it was just as voltage demanding as first gen with little payoff, these boards wouldn't really make sense in the hands of the average consumer imo. Either ryzen overclocking will become a lot more accessible, or the overkill vrm boards are an extremely  limited run, and I doubt that's the case from so many vendors

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

11 hours ago, MeatFeastMan said:

I think with how many more X570 boards there are than X470/X370, we're going to get plenty of good value overclocking boards, too. Just a much larger product stack this time around.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT | ASUS ROG Strix X470-F | 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB @3400MHz | EVGA RTX 2080S XC Ultra | EVGA GQ 650 | HP EX920 1TB / Crucial MX500 500GB / Samsung Spinpoint 1TB | Cooler Master H500M

On 5/27/2019 at 9:44 PM, melete said:

I think with how many more X570 boards there are than X470/X370, we're going to get plenty of good value overclocking boards, too. Just a much larger product stack this time around.

Gigabytes cheapest board is over 170$, according to GN, hopefully prices decrease.

1 minute ago, Firewrath9 said:

Gigabytes cheapest board is over 170$, according to GN, hopefully prices decrease.

Oh. That's... disappointing. PCIE 4.0 woes?

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT | ASUS ROG Strix X470-F | 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB @3400MHz | EVGA RTX 2080S XC Ultra | EVGA GQ 650 | HP EX920 1TB / Crucial MX500 500GB / Samsung Spinpoint 1TB | Cooler Master H500M

On 5/27/2019 at 9:50 PM, melete said:

Oh. That's... disappointing. PCIE 4.0 woes?

Yeah, and b/c AMD wants some more cash. They make 1/6 as much as intel per dollar sold (margin). Still much cheaper than intel 8c16t + decent mobo is ~600-650 vs 500 for amd

The X570 Aorus Xtreme is really beastly! Definitely one I keep my eye on.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

On 5/27/2019 at 9:49 AM, Firewrath9 said:

I think this is important enough count as news.

Gigabyte's X570 Master uses a true 16 phase controller, with 50A powerstages (IR3556) in a 12+2 setup. Buildzoid analysed in this GN video,

70A??  Thats more than the IR3579 which is the flagship power stage by Infineon...

In the Gigabyte mobo video from GN, Steve says the powerstages were changed to 70A in a later revision. Buildzoid's analysis is the 0.4 pre-release version. So both master and extreme should be 70A power stages

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

These 12, 14 phases VRM are totally waste of money. They do it for the marketing purpose. A good solid 8 phases(or 8+2) will be more than enough even for the up coming 16 core CPU. All these extra mosfets do is just jacking up the price of the mobo.

50 minutes ago, S w a t s o n said:

In the Gigabyte mobo video from GN, Steve says the powerstages were changed to 70A in a later revision. Buildzoid's analysis is the 0.4 pre-release version. So both master and extreme should be 70A power stages

oh, ok.

37 minutes ago, Deli said:

These 12, 14 phases VRM are totally waste of money. They do it for the marketing purpose. A good solid 8 phases(or 8+2) will be more than enough even for the up coming 16 core CPU. All these extra mosfets do is just jacking up the price of the mobo.

Looking at the 7980XE, it's pretty understandable for these manufacturers to overbuild the hell out of these things.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

44 minutes ago, Deli said:

8 decent phases running at a 300-400W output (totally possible) will create substantially more heat than 12 decent phases

ASUS only put 4 phases and their mobos are still expensive

53 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

8 decent phases running at a 300-400W output (totally possible) will create substantially more heat than 12 decent phases

ASUS only put 4 phases and their mobos are still expensive

VRM of the first gen X399 mobo for Threadripper only has 8 phases. The 1950X and 2950X can draw 300w when overclocked. No one complain about the VRM of those mobo overheating. Only when the 24 and 32 cores come they need to beef up the VRM.

Let wait and see if the up coming 16 core can draw way more than an 2950X.

Asus can suck my balls.

I like them being overbuilt and lately Gigabyte has been making some fantastic boards. I love my Aorus Z370 Master. If I were to build an X570 based system it'd def be with one of their new boards.

...now if they could just make better software....

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

46 minutes ago, Exotath said:

I like them being overbuilt and lately Gigabyte has been making some fantastic boards. I love my Aorus Z370 Master. If I were to build an X570 based system it'd def be with one of their new boards.

...now if they could just make better software....

Gigabyte makes pretty solid boards all-around from what I've noticed.

Even their crappy boards feature dual BIOS, something I really wish more manufacturers did.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

12 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Gigabyte makes pretty solid boards all-around from what I've noticed.

Even their crappy boards feature dual BIOS, something I really wish more manufacturers did.

Their new X570 itx board looks like a 6+2 phases. I wish it's 8+2.

some thoughts on x570 massive power draw and active cooling:

-it is designed for future 16 cores cpu capability?

-if there are no pcie 4.0 devices installed, no extra power needed?

thats why b350/450 shall still be fully capable of high end zen2 

The reason vendors are now cramming so much power is they learned that:

a) AMD isn't going away

b) Ryzen is becoming more and more popular

c) Old boards just weren't cut for such huge jumps in core counts (they weren't really ready for new AM4 CPU's)

This is also th only motherboard with passive chipset cooling, instead of an active fan. Those are some fine heat pipes and propped heatsinks. Looks like my next motherboard.

Prices seem like they’re going to be Intel level sadly. Wish they’d cut costs and remove the bling and rgb stuff.

Give me solid VRMs, decent features, and proper cooling for that 12-16 core, and chipset.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

9 hours ago, Deli said:

Their new X570 itx board looks like a 6+2 phases. I wish it's 8+2.

It is kind of a shame that ITX is still an afterthought for most board makers.

I'm pretty sure my purpose in life is to serve as a warning for others.