Old Windows XP PC with 6 viruses on it is being auctioned as art for over 1.2 million USD

Shreyas1

An old laptop is being auctioned as art for 1.2 million dollars USD, and it contains 6 of the most destructive malware in history. It is named The Persistence of Chaos. It was commissioned by cyber security vendor Deep Instinct.

So what do you get for your $1.2 million? In terms of the hardware, it's just an old Samsung NC10 laptop from 2008 and running Windows XP SP3. But it also comes complete with no less than six pieces of malware. There's the ILoveYou virus from the year 2000, which gained notoriety by infecting more than 50 million devices in just ten days. To which you can add the 2003 SoBig worm that is one of the fastest spreading worms ever, but not as fast as MyDoom from the following year, which also appears on the laptop. Fast forward to 2015 and we have the BlackEnergy malware that helped turn the lights off in Ukraine when it was used in a cyber attack on the power grid. WannaCry also makes an appearance, fresh from causing havoc to NHS hospitals in 2017. The last, and most recently deployed, piece of malware to feature is the DarkTequila credential stealer from 2018.

Although distributing malware in the U.S. is illegal, this is being done under the premise of art for " academic reasons " , and they have no intention of spreading malware, so it's apparently fine. I really don't agree with this, as just because it is art shouldn't mean that it can do illegal things.

Here is a livestream of the art ( it's literally just an old laptop with malware on it )

https://m.twitch.tv/persistencechaos

3FBC97A8-AF81-4DE3-8F6A-E0C194C91A29.jpeg.ced495801d1baa09419a32a01410b8cb.jpeg

Source:https://www.forbes.com/sites/daveywinder/2019/05/24/this-samsung-laptop-is-on-sale-for-1-2m/

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

Here is a livestream of the art ( it's literally just an old laptop with malware on it )

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

Doesnt Wannacry kinda kill the other Malware?

Not if it's loaded in memory

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

Not if it's loaded in memory

So the art is ruined the moment it runs out of power?

I wish I had "fuck you" money to buy this.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Just now, GoldenLag said:

So the art is ruined the moment it runs out of power?

probably - or maybe the viruses are hidden in system files, wannacry doesn't touch things it thinks are vital for the system to boot (you can't display the ransom message if the OS doesn't start)

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, DildorTheDecent said:

I guess you could make your own...?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

probably - or maybe the viruses are hidden in system files, wannacry doesn't touch things it thinks are vital for the system to boot (you can't display the ransom message if the OS doesn't start)

Thats what i thought, but you never know. I kinda expect everything to be there, but you never kno

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

1 minute ago, Queen Chrysallis said:

what would you do with it tho

Flex on the poor.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Just one question...

WHY? ?

$1.2 Million? ?

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

4 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Flex on the poor.

Mac owners: ive got the latest iMac 2019 Pro. Its all about design and art

Bill Gates: hold my surface

Id imagine this is so much because some of these virus' are no longer available, thus meaning security researchers can't study them?

If not, lord knows. Sexy looking laptop tho.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

32 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Just hold some municipality hostage with some ransomware and you'll be all set.  Actually, buy this machine and use it as the jumping off point and it becomes a tax write-off.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

I'm fine with all art being legal, but... 

I can't defend this... 

Spoiler

I'm surprised the battery didn't explode. 

Spoiler

There are so many worms on this thing it's becoming a hentai. 

Spoiler

Does the ransom come as an option? 

Spoiler

But does it Blender? 

Spoiler

At least it isn't XP x64. 

and 

Spoiler

"For my next trick, would you like to install Windows 10?"

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

42 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

An old laptop is being auctioned as art for 1.2 million dollars USD, and it contains 6 of the most destructive malware in history. It is named The Persistence of Chaos. It was commissioned by cyber security vendor Deep Instinct.

Although distributing malware in the U.S. is illegal, this is being done under the premise of art for " academic reasons " , and they have no intention of spreading malware, so it's apparently fine. I really don't agree with this, as just because it is art shouldn't mean that it can do illegal things.

3FBC97A8-AF81-4DE3-8F6A-E0C194C91A29.jpeg.ced495801d1baa09419a32a01410b8cb.jpeg

Source:https://www.forbes.com/sites/daveywinder/2019/05/24/this-samsung-laptop-is-on-sale-for-1-2m/

Dude. I should have then saved my 10yr old intel pentium system with just 1gb ram. I could have gotten double the money. Look guys. It runs windows 95/95/me/2000/xp/vista/7/8/8.1 and 10. All the operating systems ae installed on the hard drive pre loaded. Just for the sum of 10 million.

Well, I have one old laptop. And an archive of malware spanning from around 1999 till now. 1.2mil € could come in handy XD

A idiot and their money is soon parted, along with their identity.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

That's one machine where I want to stick my USB-drive which has friendly letters of "FUCK YOU" written on it.

And mostly because I don't even want to know where I have plugged that drive in the around 15 years I have had it and it has been named "The drive that will one day become Pokemon master", just because it tries to catch 'em all.

So this has to be money laundering right? There's no other way this makes sense 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Oh the ridiculous things people buy...........like this cornflake shaped like Illinois that sold for $1,350:

0592d644-8c5f-4531-bcab-81f5752e95cf.grid-6x2.jpg

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/23756725/ns/us_news-weird_news/t/illinois-shaped-corn-flake-sells

Or a Harambe-shaped Cheeto:

Spoiler

a1852c7f-f56f-4b20-b662-3a1d41edebca.jpg

https://fox59.com/2017/02/07/cheeto-shaped-like-slain-gorilla-harambe-sells-for-99900-on-ebay/

5 hours ago, Sauron said:

Hol up, lemme go source a mobile IDE drive and 12 viruses....

Best Buy employee: *slaps laptop lid* "This bad boy can sell for more than 2 million USD"

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

30 minutes ago, Arika S said:

So this has to be money laundering right? There's no other way this makes sense 

You've described 50% of the pompous """sophisticated""" art world.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.