[How To] Keep your current Windows install with a new motherboard.

I'm in the process of updating to a 2011 chip.

using this program does it mean i dont have to connect all my hard drives again?

I'm running

2 * 120gb ssd (one for steam one for os + programs)

1 * 1tb wd black for a download/ normal storage

2 * 2tb wd reds for proper storage

Its all about those volumetric clouds

• 1 month later...

A great many thanks for this info, I spent many days trying to figure out how to do this, ie move a recent win7 system to my previous system that had been gathering dust in the closet just in case because my wife's computer started having problems. But I did not want to just reinstall a new copy as I had a hard time moving up from XP in the first place and keeping decades of passwords and accounts and program settings all in sync. I ran this form a USB after booting to it and in like a minute it said write to disk and I said yes.. I used the same image from my SSD copied to the old hard drive inside the old machine. It rebooted and spent a few minutes and viola, the desktop showed up as well as all the setting and all the programs I had installed over the years. This might not be a big deal in a business environment as people who get paid create the images everyoen runs but for long term home users who have particular hobbies they add special things to the system to get devices or programs to work and you can never figure out what you did a few months later, which is the main major thing with a new install. I think the only reason microsoft changed the way things worked is because they want to charge people to install the very same apps they had on their old machine to their new machine and if they cant move it easily then they will fork out the money to do it. But when I saw someone asking $200 for a program to do it, I knew it could be done. I read a long time ago about overwriting the device driver configurations after first doing a fresh install on the new machine and then copying it to the image of the old machine to get the drivers to work properly.. But cant find it now.. 

but this program removed all the intel motherboard and grapics drivers and got microsoft to install the nvidia drivers. Later I downloaded the nvidia drivers last of which was released in like 2011 and updated the system. So this is possible as a an entirely different system with all new cpu, ram, motherboard can work with an image from an entirely different system and only microsoft is preventing it from doing so without losing any customization either. I cant see any reason other than to grab more money not only in multiple licensing on many systems but also on add on programs which also need new licenses for the new system. I know in my company we had to jump through a lot of hoops to do this but it had licensing servers that allowed certain number of programs to run on certain number of systems so it was not complicated. for a home system who can keep track of all the licenses through the years and OEM systems and built systems etc.. In the old days you just bought a single license to use on a single system and as long as you used it only on a single system it was fine, I dread to read all the fine print they have now. And this kind of programs makes you waste activation retries because you are never sure when it BSOD's on you. At least now I have a backup system up ready to activate if I ever am in need. 

• 2 weeks later...

I work as tech support and this thing will be very useful. Unfortunately, cannot download it from Dropbox. It says generating too much traffic.  :(

i7-6700K | MSI Z170A Gaming M5 | COOLER MASTER Hyper 212X | CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 2600MHz 8GB (4GBx2 kit) | MSI GeForce GTX 970 | FSP Aurum S 600W

Wordpress

@ttam if there's no OS, how do you run paragon?

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

Since the dropbox link is blocked (Too much traffic).

Is there anyone here willing to reupload it, so I can try it out.

Since the dropbox link is blocked (Too much traffic).

Is there anyone here willing to reupload it, so I can try it out.

The link is still good

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

But I I ran this form a USB after booting to it and in like a minute it said write to disk and I said yes..

How did you get it to boot from USB, I tried a few weeks ago and it didn't want to at all

The link is still good

Verified. I just saved the files to my dropbox. Thanks!

i7-6700K | MSI Z170A Gaming M5 | COOLER MASTER Hyper 212X | CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 2600MHz 8GB (4GBx2 kit) | MSI GeForce GTX 970 | FSP Aurum S 600W

Wordpress

How did you get it to boot from USB, I tried a few weeks ago and it didn't want to at all

Have to find a program that makes an ISO bootable

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

Hey Does anyone have a working link? Thanks

FX8120 @ 5.0GHz | Sabertooth 990FX | Patriot Viper Xtreme 8GB @ 2133MHz | Powercolor HD7950 @ 1300/1800 | Bitfenix Shinobi XL Modded | Corsair AX850 | Mushkin 120GB & Seagate 2TB | Bitfenix Recon | 5X SP120 PE | 6X Yate Loon 120mm HS

Koolance 200 Res | 2X Koolance 360 Rads | Danger Den CPX Pro | EK 7950 Block | Koolance CPU Block | Bitspower & XSPC Fittings

Green Machine

Hey Does anyone have a working link? Thanks

It's 600+MB. So, it will take some time for the link to be back up after a clear traffic.

Wordpress

The Dropbox link has been disabled and on too much traffic for ages now.  Does anyone have an alternative link, as it seems to be the only place I can find it?  Thanks.

I think I should help out since I managed to include it into my dropbox. If U have Dropbox, please sign in first so that U can include into Ur folder. I am confident this method will reduce downloading and traffic.

My Dropbox Link

Thank You to OP.

Wordpress

This program is wonderful!  Definitely worth storing a disk for.

Also, if the trouble for this evidently popular and extremely useful program is related to downloading, Why  not create a torrent?

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

The OS is like a kind food, Try it before saying if you like it or don't.

This program is wonderful!  Definitely worth storing a disk for.

Also, if the trouble for this evidently popular and extremely useful program is related to downloading, Why  not create a torrent?

I am very sure users here would not want to be victims of malware. Just my two cents.

Wordpress

• 2 months later...

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

Just gonna bookmark this..

Born too early to explore the galaxy, born too late to explore the seas, born just in time to make memes.

The more you know.

Cpu:

Intel i5 4460 Motherboard:Msi Z97S Sli krait Ram:HyperX Fury White (2x4) Storage:Seagate 1tb/Samsung 850 Evo 120gb Gpu:Gtx 960 2gb sc Case:S340 Black Psu:Corsair Rm 650w 80+ Gold certified

My anime list : http://myanimelist.net/animelist/KRImSIN

What if I have dual systems installed? Like WIndows and Ubuntu 12.04 installed on the same hard drive.

Just an FYI but Paragon Active Restore no longer seems to work with Windows 10.  Or at least it told me it couldn't modify that OS.

I just do a "windows 7 full system backup and recovery", then recover by boot-able restore USB / CD / DVD. Worked for me to date with win7 and win8, not tried win 10 yet. Then just install new drivers for new hardware after restore and uninstall any old software.

But..............this is good as it takes care of it for you. :)